Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I have a Survivor - 1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus. I was driving home from Carlisle when I managed to blow a hole in the muffler. From the looks of it, I believe it to be the original muffler, etc. Part of me wants to replace it with something that has a little more growl, but when old advertising for the Satellite says, "Built to be seen, not heard," I'm thinking I should stay stock. Any suggestions on what I should replace it with? What's a good name? Etc. Also, since it seems original equipment, do you think I should replace the entire thing down the line? As it is, the tailpipe looks like swiss cheese. Any thoughts and/or suggestions are much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
It's false economy to replace only the failed part, if adjacent parts are about to fail. Then you'd find yourself with a new muffler already rusted onto pipes that need replacing. Best to do it all. Dynaflow, Borla are good brands.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response! I kind of thought I should replace the entire thing, but it's nice to have another opinion. If you couldn't tell, I'm still learning how to work on cars. I've had the car for 10 years and luckily, she hasn't needed much of anything. Thank you as well for your suggestions on brand names as well. It's greatly appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I'm self-taught over the last 34 years. Anyone can fix cars if they choose to learn how to do so.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Love my flowmasters... kinda pricey. But got a good deal on new dual exhaust.
They are quiet and purr when just cruising but growl when I open it up. Grr! :cop:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi everybody! I have a Survivor - 1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus. I was driving home from Carlisle when I managed to blow a hole in the muffler. From the looks of it, I believe it to be the original muffler, etc. Part of me wants to replace it with something that has a little more growl, but when old advertising for the Satellite says, "Built to be seen, not heard," I'm thinking I should stay stock. Any suggestions on what I should replace it with? What's a good name? Etc. Also, since it seems original equipment, do you think I should replace the entire thing down the line? As it is, the tailpipe looks like swiss cheese. Any thoughts and/or suggestions are much appreciated!
Assuming you have the stock 318 cu in. motor still in her (I assume you do)...I would get a good custom dual exhaust system installed. Something like 2.5" exhaust pipes from stock manifolds straight to mufflers, then tail pipes and if you want to add just a tad bit of spice....chrome exhaust tips at the end. You can purchase some really quiet stock "Chrysler spec" mufflers to go along with your new system (check with your local Chrysler dealer, they may STILL have left over NOS parts lying around). Then find a reputable muffler shop to install them with the rest of the system. In the end you should have better exhaust flow, maybe a little more "pick up" in the 318, hear a little bit of a "growl" BUT still keep things relatively civilized. You definitely want to get rid of the "swiss cheese" tail pipe for sure. Any good well known muffler shop can install a new dual exhaust system on your 73' Plymouth. I've had it done several times in the past.

Good luck!

·
Mopar starship captain
4,228 Posts
I have the 318 2bbl in my '68 VIP. I went with 2 1/4 for the dual exhaust. I put Thrush Turbos on it and it's quiet at cruising and growls when I want it to. Unless you're planning a lot of performance upgrades to the engine, 2 1/4 will be plenty for the 318.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link! I'll have to look into that further. I was told that if I want to redo it with a new, "stock" single-exhaust, I'd have to put headers on it? Is this true? It doesn't make any sense to me. If I'm trying to keep it original... headers wouldn't be original. So, by this, no matter what I do, it won't be stock. At this point, I might as well put duals on it and call it a day because from what I understand, it would be a lot easier and cheaper.
Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
I depends on the vendor, but I am pretty sure the one I linked to manufactures exhausts designed to use the factory manifolds.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Thanks for the link! I'll have to look into that further. I was told that if I want to redo it with a new, "stock" single-exhaust, I'd have to put headers on it? Is this true? It doesn't make any sense to me. If I'm trying to keep it original... headers wouldn't be original. So, by this, no matter what I do, it won't be stock. At this point, I might as well put duals on it and call it a day because from what I understand, it would be a lot easier and cheaper.
Thoughts?
318: unless you're going to seriously hot rod your engine (big cam, high compression pistons, big valves, etc) you'd be better off staying with stock exhaust manifolds but duals were a factory option on even the 318 powered Road Runner in 1973-74-------------which was almost identical to your Satellite. :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
another company to check with is:
http://www.fle-online.com/
they should have an OEM style system.

With the amount of new cars that have the new exhaust removed; Unless it's absolute show quality; I would have quality 2.25" mandrel bent duals put under it. That should give you enough increase in flow to keep a quiet muffler and still have improved air flow through the system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts