Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long-time Stratusphere member Tom Vago owns a 2002 Sebring Convertible GTC - with the 2.7L V6 and 5-speed stick. Recently, his 2.7L destroyed itself in a faily spectactular manner. Rather than replace it with another 2.7L, Tom has embarked on a mission to replace it with a 3.5L V6 from a 2007 Sebring.

If you want to follow along, here's the link to the thread over on Stratusphere.NET:
http://www.stratusphere.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=52645

If successful, this would create the only 3.5L/5-speed JR that I'm aware of.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Cool! I'm going to pin this one for the moment, since a few of us have expressed interest in this...

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
Just picked up an 01 with a bad 2.7. I'll be looking for a swap as well. I've got a line on a 2.4 in a Stratus which I might consider. This will be a toy car, not for serious travel ro much use so the 2.4 would be OK for what I'd do with it. If I were actually going to drive it much at least a 3.3 would be better, but I suspect that those might not swap very easily. Electrical hookup might be trouble. But if a 3.3/3.8 would bolt up (to the car, transmission would come with engine)I can get hold of those for very little money.

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
After reviewing your experience I'm going to look into swapping in a 3.3 automatic from a minivan. Or maybe a 2.4 because I won't really be using this car for much other than open top cruising which doesn't need much power anyway. If I want to go fast I've got other stuff already.

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
Or it may be possible to rebuild the 2.7. Just ran into a guy I know near here who has just done that. Lost oil pressure, spun the crank bearings, but didn't hurt the rest of the engine. I'll have a look at mine when I get it into the shop and if it's just the crank I may do that instead of a swap. Who knows?

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you were going to rebuild the 2.7L, be sure to remove all of the loose aluminum flash from that engine. Otherwise, you'll have to replace bearings again in about a year. Also, change out the timing chain system and put in the new revised chain with upgraded water pump. Just be aware that changing the timing chain system requires the use of a special tool to remove the crank sprocket. That, and the revised chain and water pump are dealer-only items at this time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A few years ago I ran across a guy who took out the 3.5 in his 97 LHS and put in a 3.5 from a 99 300M. He said it was the best sleeper he ever had.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just heard from Tom Vago - the "Frankenvertible" is no more.

On Friday, 20 July 2012, a tree decided to attack the Frankenvertible as my wife was driving it. Luckily, she had no injuries. The Frankenvertible? ...eh, not so much.

The tree branch collision even made the local news:

Link: Tree limb, wires fall on car, trapping driver and her son

NORTH CANTON - A huge tree limb split from the trunk and fell on a passing car Friday evening, bringing power lines down across both eastbound lanes and one westbound lane of Everhard Road SW near S. Main Street.
The radiator is destroyed, as is the upper crossmember. The fan assembly is toast. The cowl covering is destroyed, too. The windshield wiper mechanism is toast. The left front fender might as well be a crumpled tin can. The power steering coolant line may or may not be snapped in two. Obviously, the custom hood is destroyed.

The body shop says that it'd cost about $4600 to repair all of the damage. Based on that, the Frankenvertible here is totaled. I'm just waiting now for the insurance company to get back with me about the settlement.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Aw man, that stinks... Glad everyone is okay though, if not shaken up for it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thank you for your kind words.

Bad news. We should probably still see if we can put up a story here, with your permission.
What sort of story were you thinking of?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Thank you for your kind words.

What sort of story were you thinking of?
I think what Dave means is that he want's to put up an article on how you Built the Frankenvertible, all of the neat goodies you put in it, and how it met its untimely Demise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts