Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '97 Dakota 5.2 is going old-school and getting a new Holley/Brawler 4bbl and an Edelbrock Air Gap. When the Throttle position sensor is unplugged is there any affect on the ignition? Will it run with the stock ignition? Also, any tips on a fuel pressure regulator that would readily hook up to the existing fitting feeding the fuel rail? Any relevant info would be great!

·
Premium Member
20,094 Posts
The '97 should be running 55psi. Carbs run on 4.5psi, so a fuel pressure regulator would definitely be needed. I would then be concerned with the electronics and ignition because that is all controlled by the computer and she will run tons of codes because it won't know what to do about the fuel, which will most likely be an issue along with everything else. Why switch from EFI to carb unless you intend to change ignition system, also? A new set of injectors, if that is the issue, is about the same cost, if that is the issue to start with. Rewiring an electronic ignition distributor bypasses everything else, but is still a lot of work, but can be done.

·
Super Moderator
37,239 Posts
What is the purpose of the conversion?
You will likely lose economy and power with this conversion unless you've got a heavily modified engine.
Even with a modified engine, you'd be better off leaving it injected and buying a custom tune for it.

Reactions: Bob Lincoln

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
Not to mention that it violates federal law to retrofit it to an earlier version than it was manufactured to.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
My '97 Dakota 5.2 is going old-school and getting a new Holley/Brawler 4bbl and an Edelbrock Air Gap. When the Throttle position sensor is unplugged is there any affect on the ignition? Will it run with the stock ignition? Also, any tips on a fuel pressure regulator that would readily hook up to the existing fitting feeding the fuel rail? Any relevant info would be great!
Have fun with that. I hope you understand what you're in for.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
As the rest of us opined. Please think this conversion through before 'pulling the trigger'.

IMHO you 'may' be better off swapping a 5.7L Hemi since not only would it be a 100% legal swap (newer motor into an older vehicle), 100 HONEST additional horsepower (or more) is nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys. Right, this is all just for shits and giggles. I had a 6-bbl GTX (amongst other carbureted cars) way back when and never knew what the carbs were really all about. Gonna figure one out, finally.

I am saving all of the factory bits in case. This is just another thematic addition to the round (halogen) headlights and fender-mounted turn-signals I installed... I am going manual choke as well. Senseless, but fun.

So, I was wondering if it would be simplest to mount a TPS to the carb (if the ignition cares) or back up plan - drop in a Mallory Uni-light or other electronic ignition. Not in a hurry to ditch the factory ignition.

(Just so you know, when the 203,000 mile 5.2 eventually gives it up, the 5.7/6-speed swap may be next).

Any insights on the ignition are much appreciated. For today, however, the clutch bought-the-farm and I'm tearing that apart.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
Just not clear what your goal is. To see if it's possible to build up an old-school intake system? Yes, it is. But it's a big headache, and it WILL result in less power and gas mileage, worse driveability especially when cold, more wear on the engine and its oil, more carbon fouling. And a manual choke is just a really bad idea. It's how my dad killed the rings on a 55 Chevy.

Reactions: Bearhawke

·
Premium Member
20,094 Posts
A Mallory Unilite unit won't work in the stock distributor, there aren't any mechanical advance weights or springs in them, so an old distributor will be needed, and from there, a good comparison to the stock distributor to ensure they are indeed the same from the clamp and below inside the block. The TPS is something you do not want to be putting on the carburetor. That is essentially computer controlled idle and if there is no computer, won't do anything but be rich or lean, so not something you can control with the other elements on the engine not working in tandem. Manual choke was used for decades, literally, and if you know how to work them, shouldn't be a major issue. You do need to get the fuel pressure down, that 55 psi will flood the carb in about half a second.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
There are carbs that accept TPS if you go that way, I think Holey sell carbs and TPS kits

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
You will need an "old school" dizzy, the computer wont be working without the tps and it will try to adjust the timing to keep idle speed at setpoint.
- as some people have pointed out it may not be the change to do, you will also run into problems with your instrument cluster.
It ´s wiser to keep the fueli and go for a stroker kit and make it a 408 or even bigger, a performance camshaft and a customtune.

Reactions: Bearhawke

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good feedback.
The goal,...it's taking the throwback feel of the '97 Dakota and going even farther. I installed round halogen headlights, moved the turn signals to the valence and put side markers/signals on the fenders. The 5-speed sports a white knob now. The next deal is the carb/intake combo. I'll be topping that combo off with a dual snorkel air filter from an '83 Dodge Ram. I'm partial to manual stuff - an analog guy. My first couple of cars had manual chokes and I liked 'em. So, to be clear I am not a total zealot - no manual spark advance or engine cranks.

Practicality wise - I'm in South Florida so it's warm and flat....no big demands from climate or changes in altitude. It's a 15 mpg vehicle now so one goal is to see how close I can get a 4-bbl 5.2 to that 15 mpg. Dual-plane intake and 600 cfm carb are tame - I exercised great amounts of restraint when I chose those.... but hey, this is a motor with a 4500 rpm redline so ....

It has a one year old fuel pump assembly so I'll leave it and just use a regulator.

Seems like the ignition can stay as-is if I leave the computer plugged in and set up a TPS. That's where my questions start - the article GLHS60 linked reaffirmed what I'd seen elsewhere.... mostly about trannys but who knows.... I was hoping someone had pulled off a similar stunt and could share some tips. I'm all ears!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dakota has throttle and cruise on the passenger side. Any reason this carb can’t be mounted “backwards” and still function normally?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Dakota has throttle and cruise on the passenger side. Any reason this carb can’t be mounted “backwards” and still function normally?
Wouldn't the throttle action on the carb be the wrong direction?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wouldn't the throttle action on the carb be the wrong direction?
Nope advancing throttle cable spins the throttle shaft clockwise because the cable does a 180 up by the alternator and approaches the carb from the front not the back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The TPS must put out a specific voltage for the computer. 0 to 5 v I think. I checked out the after market one in the video with an external lever easily attached to a throttle. Curious about the compatibility with the MOPAR computer. Anyone familiar?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Checked my repair manual and the TPS has a range of 0-5v so the aftermarket one mounted to the carb should work. Any reason the MAP can’t be hooked up to the manifold for vacuum?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts