Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to switch from the original composite "aero" headlights to the sealed beam style headlights in my 93 Dakota. It's my understanding that Dodge switched to composite headlights for the Dakota in the middle of model year 1991 so I need parts from an early 1991 or older Dakota. If you have some parts to assist me in my conversion, please let me know. I'm willing to pay cash or swap some other Dakota parts. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
The composite headlights were used throughout the 1991 model year on most Dakotas.

However, there was a base mode that used the old style sealed beam headlights and was offered in 1991 and some years afterwards (especially for fleet models). The headlight bezels you want were available in both chrome and gray. Nothing earlier than 1991 will work.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Try to find an aero Dakota donor truck up until and including 1996 for parts. You will need the grille and all the mounting parts associated with the headlights, etc.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I Can see if any of my trucks are still running the sealed beams.. I've switched one truck the other way from sealed to Aero.. Piece of cake.. Just needed to swap out the adapter that ran from harness to headlamps.. and naturally bezels & lights.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'd much rather go back to sealed beams, no issues with clarity, than the fogging plastic you get these days...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm trying to do the same conversion 1994 Dakota v-6 AT PS A/C. I found a wreck where some parts had been already removed. However, I did get the set of wire converters, the sealed beam headlight buckets (and lights), ONE sealed beam headlight bezel with reflectors and parking lights, and nothing else. no adjusters, miscl. screws, etc. I'm not sure what else I need except that small adjuster screws and similar parts can easily add up BIG $$$$. What I plan to do is install relays and Cibie or Hella lights. What I wonder is: any way to get the LARGER square headlight assemblys of bigger Dodge pickup easily installed? A set of 6x7 Hellas are less than $100 and would be better lighting. COMMENTS?

The current Dodge aero lights have several drawbacks, including small size, poor design including plastic cover and reflector, no relays causing voltage drop, and using that !$%** 9004 bulb, which was required instead of using the readily available H-4 bulb. The 9004 was a US DOT requirement with poor filament design and only 45w low beam, unlike the 55w elsewhere. Percentagewise that is very significant, even at full voltage. I'm thinking about a NEW clear glass windshield, as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts