Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone repair the analog tachometers? I thought maybe I had a bad driver board, tried a different one with the same result. Key on, if it is going to work, needle will go to 0, if not it will stay wherever it stopped. It will occasionally stop responding when the engine is running.

Cluster is a 1989 J Lebaron analog one, full gauge complement and I just rebuilt the odometer in it! FWIW, sometimes tapping on the cluster will bring it to life, sometimes not, needle spins freely with key off and lens removed.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IC, that was my thought which is why I had actually cleaned the main board and soldered the riveted pins to the circuit traces. I tried a second tachometer driver board, cleaned and tightened the contacts on it and the cluster printed circuit traces where the two plug together. Other than something in the actual tachometer (which seems to be a simple galvanometer) the only other thing is the pins for the two round plugs on the back or the ones the tachometer connects with inside the cluster housing.

I guess I will take one of the tachometer driver boards and go through all the solder joints. FWIW, I had wired the dash for both the analog cluster and the digital, digital works perfectly as far as all functions go
. DSCN3654.jpg

·
Super Moderator
32,047 Posts
I don't know if that tach board is the same vintage as my 1992 Daytona and Dakotas, but mine was designed with a defect - it pulls 100 mA from the battery with engine off, and a Zener diode runs VERY hot to the touch, since most of that current runs through it. It's a 0.5W diode with way too much power running through it. So maybe it partially shorts out when it gets too hot and recovers as it cools.

I fixed it by cutting and jumping the battery power trace to the ignition trace, so it draws no power with engine off.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point, but, there is no battery direct feed on that cluster, the digital ones do but not the analog.

·
Super Moderator
32,047 Posts
Interesting - mine have battery feed to the cluster. And it's analog. '92 and '93.

Reactions: valiant67

·
Super Moderator
37,232 Posts
Interesting - mine have battery feed to the cluster. And it's analog. '92 and '93.
it is possible things changed in 1994/1995 when the dash setup changed slightly to use a more traditional turn signal lever on the steering column. I never had to dig that far into the 1994's I had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts