Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 PT tail lights keep getting condensation collecting on the inside of the lenses. I've taken them off twice and dried them out with a hair dryer then tried putting petroleum jelly on seals to prevent a reoccurrence;that failed. I then stepped up to sealing the inside of the fender with aluminum tape to keep moisture from coming in from the under side of the car. I sealed the bulbs with silicone but the condensation still returned. Anyone else having this problem or have any possible solutions?

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
Welcome to Allpar The lens can't be completely sealed off. There has to be a vent, probably on the bottom/inner side of the lens assembly that allows it to breathe. Some have an 'L'-shaped rubber vent hose pointing down.
If that doesn't help, replace the lens assembly.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had this problem on just one of the tailights. I simply drilled a 1/8" hole in the bottom of the lens and haven't had any repeats. (I realize this is a very old thread, but thought I'd add this in case someone else enounters the same problem.)

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
L.Turner, good to hear from you. Are you still motoring about in the PT?
This 'venting' also helps headlamps that collect moisture. You never want a lens airtight, it needs to breathe. When the bulbs get hot and warm the inside of the housing, the moisture should dissipate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts