1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
452 Posts
Part of it might be that they were trying to get all the vids from one park, but you're right, there is a difference between a water-bogged trail and riding thru a creek.

I think we'll see more limitations pushed when a third party gets a hold of the vehicle without Jeep employees hovering over their shoulder.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
I do not know, but could being a "bottom-breather" be an issue here?

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
i have to say, they looked like they were going through your average large-puddle. That was kind of lame.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Question. Does this Jeep directly compete with that Land Rover?

I'm guessing the Jeep will make it through the same amount of water at those Land Rovers did.

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Really, Jeep?

I've driven mine through flooded areas with higher water than that.

Try again, please.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
I Saw the Doc. on the Efforts on "Water Fording".

A Lot of HOME WORK Was done to Keep "Things Dry & Not Have Water Leak In".

TMD :notworthy:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
I do not know, but could being a "bottom-breather" be an issue here?
Lame video but to put the specs in perspective:

" It is important to check your owner’s manual to determine your vehicle’s maximum water fording depth. As an example, a 2010 Trail Rated® Jeep Wrangler’s maximum water depth is 30 inches at speeds under 5 mph, and a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee is 20 inches for standing water and 9 inches for flowing water, both under 5 mph."

http://blog.jeep.com/2011/06/02/jeep-off-roading-101-water-and-mud/

And a Liberty:

"High-vented axles and waterproofed underbody connections were used to ensure Liberty passed Jeep's water-fording tests, conducted through more than 20 inches of water."

FWIW, I believe a 2012 GC has a similar 20" depth.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
real off roading, and not a park for recreation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLuD2PY4r7s&list=PL147C5028762C79FF

(yeah back to my posts on WTE overland vids)

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
A lady came into the Big Bear Jeep shop, with her Commander on a flat bed. She was from out of state, a single mom with her child, and simply drove across a small local stream at 5-10 mph.she wasn't a Jeeper and didn't know any better.
Unfortunately the water splashed into the air cleaner and hydro locked the engine. A Piston was sticking out of the block and the insurance company totaled her car.
She will likely never again buy a Jeep, because she took what she thought was a trail rated vehicle across a small stream. She wasn't a Jeeper, but liked exploring.
I fear this will happen to many novices with their new KL's...
Earlier this week, Jeep made the same mistake bragging about "articulation".
The angry reaction from folks is running about 90% against the claim of articulation in the Rubicon video. M has likely miscalculated.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
And let me just add..that, because of ladies like Norm is describing, there has to be an "official" corporate position. Aka; C.Y.A. ..and under promise to over deliver.

Now, after the official position or recommendation is established and known..you can do, and will do, whatever the hell you want!..and I'm sure there'll be some youtube video out shortly of the Cherokee doing the same thing as the Rover.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Where does the disconnect lie here? The ignorance of the consumer for not understanding what their vehicle is capable of, or the blind faith of the consumer that if one model can do something then ALL the models should do it, too?

Then again, every time it floods out here, we see story after story of people driving standard family sedans through flooded viaducts with catastrophic results - I'm talking regular Camrys and Accords and Impalas and such, not even Jeeps or other SUVs.

I recall a bunch of "tuners" would mount cone air filters on pipes that put the filter right above the road surface to "get the cooler intake air from outside the hot engine bay" and/or "to take advantage of the ram air effect" when moving. More often than not, they'd post pictures of destroyed blocks and pistons because they drove through some standing water.

It's not just a Jeep problem - but I can see where it could be more prevalent.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
RTFM.

Know the capabilities and limitations of your equipment regardless of what sales, marketing, or Joey the fourth grader says it'll do.

As for the nice lady? Same goes. RTFM, especially considering a child was present. (You'd be amazed at how much you learn when you read the manual.)

All of the other video's aren't FACTORY video's making specific statements about the capabilities of what the vehicle can do. At the end of the Jeep vid', it is going through some decently deep water. I would be willing to bet no other factory is willing to go on record with such a video. Maybe LR, but they aren't selling to outdoorsy people, LR's have been Ski Slopers and Polo Grounders for too long now.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Where does the disconnect lie here? The ignorance of the consumer for not understanding what their vehicle is capable of, or the blind faith of the consumer that if one model can do something then ALL the models should do it, too?Then again, every time it floods out here, we see story after story of people driving standard family sedans through flooded viaducts with catastrophic results - I'm talking regular Camrys and Accords and Impalas and such, not even Jeeps or other SUVs.I recall a bunch of "tuners" would mount cone air filters on pipes that put the filter right above the road surface to "get the cooler intake air from outside the hot engine bay" and/or "to take advantage of the ram air effect" when moving. More often than not, they'd post pictures of destroyed blocks and pistons because they drove through some standing water.It's not just a Jeep problem - but I can see where it could be more prevalent.
Don't think there is a disconnect at all. The Jeep is trail rated, she was on a trail. Many trails have water. It's incumbent upon Jeep to ensure that fording water within the parameters of the owners manual doesn't result in a design that allows water to enter the air cleaner.
It's pretty basic to design an air intake that prevents that from occurring. The water she crossed wasn't more than 5" deep at that time of year. She wasn't off roading, she was on a graded and designated Forest Service road, that can easily be traversed by any two wheel drive sedan.
If Jeep is showing videos and commercials of water fording, they should make darn sure the vehicles can water ford.
A Jeep tour company in Ketchikan, Alaska, went out of business when 9 of their 15 Wrangler JK's lost engines while water fording, in one year.Granted that was a Daimler design short cut, but it's still a fail.
AEV makes good money selling Wrangler snorkels, that prevents the problem, but a simple re-packaging of the air intake would prevent the problem from happening in the first place.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
MoparNorm said:
A lady came into the Big Bear Jeep shop, with her Commander on a flat bed. She was from out of state, a single mom with her child, and simply drove across a small local stream at 5-10 mph.she wasn't a Jeeper and didn't know any better.
Unfortunately the water splashed into the air cleaner and hydro locked the engine. A Piston was sticking out of the block and the insurance company totaled her car.
She will likely never again buy a Jeep, because she took what she thought was a trail rated vehicle across a small stream. She wasn't a Jeeper, but liked exploring.
I fear this will happen to many novices with their new KL's...
Earlier this week, Jeep made the same mistake bragging about "articulation".
The angry reaction from folks is running about 90% against the claim of articulation in the Rubicon video. M has likely miscalculated.
I just saw the episode 7 "articulation" video. Why would you highlight something it clearly lacks!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts