Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tavares calls Chrysler a 'pillar' of Stellantis, says brand has a future
"There is a future for Chrysler among the 13 other brands of Stellantis NV because it is a "pillar" of the transatlantic automaker, CEO Carlos Tavares said during his first visit to North America since creation of the new company."

"The company needs a few more months to determine the best positioning — or "vision destination" — for the brand, Tavares said."

·
Registered
204 Posts
How about the Citroen C4 as the entry level CHRYSLER? It’s taller than a normal hatchback but shorter than a crossover. It’s killer app is a cushy suspension . I don’t think you could invent a better all new car for Chrysler. I wouldn’t even restyle it. Just call it the Chrysler Citroen C4. Calling it that is the best of all worlds since CHRYSLER brand has no history of small cars and you get to introduce an exotic to America brand without actually going through with the huge effort to introducing a new brand. Just cherry pick Citroen’s coolest vehicle. Maybe Dodge could have the more carlike Opel version of the Peugeot 308.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hearing this and reading the article honestly made me so happy. I am smiling ear to ear right now. I am so happy Chrysler is a PILLAR and has a future. I hope a promising and strong future. :) I might have a car to buy someday to replace my current sports sedan.

"The most requested video type I've had this past month is to make a series on Canadian City Flags. So initially I was going to do a single video for the whole country, but now I've broken it down to this... as shown in the photo. West/Central/East. I know this isn't proper geographical breakup of Canada, but for the amount of flags by region, this allows each video to be about the same length. I messed around with several versions but think this fits best. Do you think this is an okay split for the flag videos? Also in the upcoming video I would like to have a small section for each province/territory pointing out some of the bad flags in each. Might be kind of fun. It's also much harder to find good quality imagery of Canadian flags, as well as much less info than the US city flags. If you haven't seen my US City Flags trilogy, please check it out! I think you will enjoy it. I really did. :) Have a nice week everyone."

This in itself is the most information we've heard about Chrysler as a brand in YEARS. The most information on its future, the most anything.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
How about the Citroen C4 as the entry level CHRYSLER? It’s taller than a normal hatchback but shorter than a crossover. It’s killer app is a cushy suspension . I don’t think you could invent a better all new car for Chrysler. I wouldn’t even restyle it. Just call it the Chrysler Citroen C4. Calling it that is the best of all worlds since CHRYSLER brand has no history of small cars and you get to introduce an exotic to America brand without actually going through with the huge effort to introducing a new brand. Just cherry pick Citroen’s coolest vehicle. Maybe Dodge could have the more carlike Opel version of the Peugeot 308.
No, the C4 is far beneath Chrysler. There should be no 3 cylinder Chryslers ever, nor ones with a mere 13 cu ft trunk. That's the same kind of insult as the Fiat Tipo becoming a Chrysler 100. Chrysler is not a cheap brand like Fiat and Citroen. It is like Alfa, Lancia and DS. Give the cheap economy cars to Dodge, or revive Plymouth for them.

"Tavares said the brand is in need of a talented and visionary CEO who perhaps can make Chrysler what it once represented. "It is an opportunity for us to make the brand rebound," he said. "We do not forget that Chrysler was in the past the expression of the automotive American technology, the best technology available at that point in time."

The C4 is on the cheaper EMP1/CMP platform with a twist beam rear axle. The DS4 is on EMP2. The DS4 should be upgraded to get an independent rear suspension and stretched to increase its cargo capacity. Then it would be worthy of being a Chrysler.

The 155 PS 1.2T EB engine is the top engine in the C4. The DS 4 gets the 225 PS 1.6T Prince engine, or an available plug in hybrid 1.6T with the same total output.

C4 / EMP1/CMP // DS 4 / EMP2

Wheelbase2,670 mm (105.1 in)
Length4,360 mm (171.7 in)4,400 (173.2)
Width1,834 mm (72.2 in)1,830 (72.0)
Height1,525 mm (60.0 in)1,470 (57.9)

Notice the strange bulbous styling of the C4, the pre refresh Cherokee style front end, weird fake vent side trim and uninspired tablet from the dashboard interior. Also note the woefully inadequate 380 L/ 13.4 cu ft cargo area.

EMP2 / 1.6T Prince / Aisin 8 speed would be very competitive in the US.

EMP1/CMP and 1.2T EB is an unacceptable combination for the US market, it would have to be modified for 1.3T/1.5T GSE or 1.6T Prince.

In short, the C4 is completely unacceptable for the US market, the DS 4 would make a great Chrysler.

What is needed to make DS 4 a high selling Chrysler is a leather free base interior and a station wagon / shooting brake variant. The base model needs to make all of the electronics like active suspension, head up display etc. and sunroof optional, 180 and 225 PS 1.6T and plug in hybrid available.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
CHRYSLER brand has no history of small cars and you get to introduce an exotic to America brand without actually going through with the huge effort to introducing a new brand. Just cherry pick Citroen’s coolest vehicle. Maybe Dodge could have the more carlike Opel version of the Peugeot 308.
That is completely ignorant of Chrysler's history and Citroen's history in the US.

The first modern Chrysler compact was the '84 Laser. Chrysler also had the LeBaron Coupe and Sebring Coupe. They were premium FWD cars just like the Alfa and Lancia cars of the same era.
Citroen like every other non exotic French and Italian car brand was driven out of the US market due to poor reliability and failure to adapt cars to the US market and regulations.

Chrysler is not a "core" brand like Citroen and Fiat/Abarth. It is "premium" like Alfa, DS and Lancia. Dodge is "upper mainstream" like Peugeot and Opel/Vauxhall. That is what Tavares meant by "make Chrysler what it once represented."

·
Super Moderator
38,061 Posts
Well, this will shut up the folks that blab on without facts!!
:ROFLMAO:
Actions speak louder than words. We've been told for years of new Chrysler-branded products coming. Hopefully this time it really happens.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Trust me. You don't want the C4 as a Chrysler. It would kill the brand.
It's not a bad product for a Citroen, but it wouldn't work as nothing else.

·
Registered
14,030 Posts
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Trust me. You don't want the C4 as a Chrysler. It would kill the brand.
It's not a bad product for a Citroen, but it wouldn't work as nothing else.
Fiat/Alfa offered Chrysler NOTHING.
Peugeot/Citroen is offering SOMETHING.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have owned a 1997 Sebring coupe (Mitsubishi Eclipse with a trunk), a 1999 Cirrus and presently own a 2015 200 Limited, none of these cars are upscale but the definition of mass market. IMHO, Chrysler is a slightly above mass market brand just like Peugeot and should be paired with Peugeot. DS is an Audi Mercedes Volvo competitor and too expensive to be sold as a Chrysler. Chrysler is Stellantis North America‘s minivan brand which further makes it a mass market brand. North America needs an entry level vehicle and a joint Chrysler Citroen badged Citroen C4 with it’s cushy suspension seems perfect. It’s better to not dilute Dodge’s hard fought for performance image with an economy car. Like it or not CHRYSLER is not a premium brand anymore. It might stand one “halo” car like a 300 replacement but across the board is a fools errand.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Fiat/Alfa offered Chrysler NOTHING.
Peugeot/Citroen is offering SOMETHING.
Although just because you offer something doesn’t mean enough people will buy it at profitable prices. Under Fiat there was the new 200 which ended up not being commercially successful. I wouldn’t be surprised if similar can be said for the Opel based Buick sedans....

The U.S. is such a competitive market, will be interesting to see if they can find a winning formula.

·
Jeepaholic
5,926 Posts
Pillars can be removed and replaced, just sayin. That being said, I like what I’ve heard of Mr Tavares and what I’m hearing from him. I’ve said actions speak louder than words...and I still do...but I think he’ll at least try, and if it fails it won’t be due to a lack of effort.

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
Tavares calls Chrysler a 'pillar' of Stellantis, says brand has a future
"There is a future for Chrysler among the 13 other brands of Stellantis NV because it is a "pillar" of the transatlantic automaker, CEO Carlos Tavares said during his first visit to North America since creation of the new company."

"The company needs a few more months to determine the best positioning — or "vision destination" — for the brand, Tavares said."
He seems like a breath of fresh air. The core brands of the company should be the pillars. After all without Chrysler, Peugeot, and Fiat there would be no Stellantis. I suppose I should include Opel too?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I have owned a 1997 Sebring coupe (Mitsubishi Eclipse with a trunk), a 1999 Cirrus and presently own a 2015 200 Limited, none of these cars are upscale but the definition of mass market. IMHO, Chrysler is a slightly above mass market brand just like Peugeot and should be paired with Peugeot. DS is an Audi Mercedes Volvo competitor and too expensive to be sold as a Chrysler. Chrysler is Stellantis North America‘s minivan brand which further makes it a mass market brand. North America needs an entry level vehicle and a joint Chrysler Citroen badged Citroen C4 with it’s cushy suspension seems perfect. It’s better to not dilute Dodge’s hard fought for performance image with an economy car. Like it or not CHRYSLER is not a premium brand anymore. It might stand one “halo” car like a 300 replacement but across the board is a fools errand.
DS is just Chrysler that is missing a base trim with cloth seats and plastic in the interior instead of leather. When your top model has a 1.6T you aren't an Audi/Mercedes/Volvo competitor, you're an overpriced Chrysler. If DS were a runaway success in Europe you could convince me otherwise, but it isn't.

Stellantis needs to abandon the FCA brand mismanagement, and from Tavares' comments that is exactly what they are planning to do.

I can really respect those calling for Dodge to be RWD/AWD performance, Jeep to be AWD only, and reviving Plymouth for cheap cars. They have a consistent brand marketing vision.

Those perfectly fine with 3 and 4 cylinder FWD Jeeps sold around the world who insist that Dodge should just be RWD/AWD performance in North America only are just apologists for the failed Fiat brand marketing model.

Stellantis has 4 North American brands, CDJR. With so few brands, they shouldn't be confined to one segment. Dodge should be "core" (lower mainstream) and upper mainstream (performance). Chrysler should be upper mainstream (near luxury) and premium. In Europe they have 7 brands that should keep to their "core" (lower mainstream), upper mainstream and premium lanes.

Fiat and Alfa need to go back to Europe. Continuing with them in the US is a fool''s errand.

·
Super Moderator
38,061 Posts
Although just because you offer something doesn’t mean enough people will buy it at profitable prices. Under Fiat there was the new 200 which ended up not being commercially successful. I wouldn’t be surprised if similar can be said for the Opel based Buick sedans....

The U.S. is such a competitive market, will be interesting to see if they can find a winning formula.
Chrysler 200 needed to be as good as (and hopefully better) than the competition to be viable. It wasn't. The top models were great. The lower trim levels weren't - and the 4 cylinder 9 speed combo was bad.
200 was a half-baked attempt at moving Chrysler upscale. It failed. The comments by Sergio on the car (disparaging the designers and then the remarks on cancellation) will make it even harder to offer a new Chrysler sedan.

1 - 20 of 391 Posts