Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,147 Posts
IIRC, there is not seperate gauge sending unit on this vehicle. The gauge gets its information from the the engine coolant sensor shown in Ray's post above. the ECM passes it along to the BCM via a data bus and then it passes to the instrument panel.

I will say that on my 96, the gauge is very solid toward the center under all conditions. However, I had an overheat situation due to a failed water pump (lost an excessive amount of coolant) and the alarm warning bell went off and the gauge was at 7/8ths and heading for hot when I shut it down.

· Registered
1,147 Posts
I suspect that in 1995 there was a seperate gauge sendor unit like what you bought. I've noticed over the years that when a design changes, the parts stores don't often keep up, and it is possible that their catalog is wrong. Another possibility is that the US may have been the first to get the design change but perhaps models sold in other countries did not get the change until a year later.

· Registered
1,147 Posts
With a precision cut (;~) piece of cardboard slipped in front of the radiator (between rad and a/c cooler) I drove about 5 miles or so including up a sustained hill, and the gauge stayed fixed at the midpoint. I stopped to look for coolant leak and there it was, definitely coolant, dripping pretty fast. Looked like it was coming from the radiator. I then took out the cardboard and drove home.

Back home, idling in the driveway as I tried to get a better look at the source of the leak, I finally heard the fan come on so checked the gauge and it was elevated a bit, just a tad above the midpoint. So I guess that test showed the sending unit may be ok, but the radiator probably not.

Should I simply replace the radiator, or is repair a sensible option these days? I can do the R&R myself.
Modern plastic/aluminum radiators are pretty much a throw away item. What most DIYers are doing is to go online, find an Advance Auto Parts Coupon code, go to the online store, purchase the item using the discount code, and order the part for pickup at the local store. The coupon code that I last used was CCABIN and it $40 off any 1 purchase of $100 or more. If that works, it is a good deal and you should get that radiator for around $100.

They are a nuisance to replace because of the condenser to radiator bolts that are tough to access unless you take off a lot of the front grill/fascia trim. Otherwise, that should take care of you. Check the radiator hoses too.

1 - 5 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.