Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Van: 98 Voyager w/3.3L 220,000 miles

I have a small drip-drip-drip on the fuel rail(the easy one to get to). The leak is at where the smaller tube that comes around the intake manifold joins the larger tube the injectors sit on, there seems to be a seal there.

Does anyone have a temp fix for the leak? Just somthing for a week or so till I can get to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
31,978 Posts
I would NOT run the motor with a fuel leak. You could risk losing your vehicle or worse. If you can't fix it right away, try to find alternate transportation.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Let's see. If it takes you one minute to figure out the fuel leak has started again, with full pressure and if the line actually breaks, you could dump more than a gallon of fuel on the hot engine less than a minute. Fix it right and we won't have people asking why gasoline is so volatile and should be outlawed. All the fittings snap on and off really easy, a rail out of the salvage should not be difficult to find at all. They have special tools to disconnect the fittings, I like taking a small zip tie, feed the end and the side in and around the tube, at about 2/3 around, give it a yank and they pop right off, then go back on ten times faster.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Contact your dealer with the last 8 characters of your VIN and the current mileage. This was a recall and may be a covered repair.
I agree that the vehicle should be towed and not driven to the dealer for repair. Chrysler may also cover the tow bill.

Original Recall from the NHTSA
Model Year(s): 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
Mfr's Report Date:
January 25, 2002

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 00V268000
NHTSA Action Number: RQ00008
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1163000
Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MINI VANS BUILT WITH 3.3L AND 3.8L ENGINES HAVE FUEL RAILS WITH NITROLE RUBBER O-RING SEALS THAT CAN DEGRADE OVER TIME. FUEL LEAKAGE FROM THE UNDERHOOD FUEL INJECTION FUEL RAIL COULD RESULT, INCREASING THE LIKELIHOOD OF A VEHICLE FIRE.
Consequence: FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE CAN RESULT IN A FIRE.

·
Super Moderator
36,907 Posts
Though I don't have one to look at and confirm, the places where the leak occurs is usually at the junctions where it is designed to flex on the 3.3/3.8 rails. That makes it hard to patch. It also can mean that a rail that doesn't leak when removed from a salvage vehicle may leak when you install it on yours because the joint has flexed more and disturbed the seal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts