Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going up to have another look at the 94 Spirit on Sunday and if it checks out OK then I'll be buying it. I know it has that code 22, and I was wondering if there's a temporary fix of some type that I could try on it. The coolant temp sensor looks fairly new, I pulled the connector off and it didn't look corroded. Could I try splicing in another connector? My old Saturn SL2 had a problem with a corroded CTS connector and I fixed that by cutting the old one off and splicing in a 2 pin LED connector off an old computer motherboard. Would that work for the Spirit?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,677 Posts
The only fix is to replace the CTS which isn't all that hard to do and they are not all that expensive if I recall correctly. The CTS for a 2.2/2.5 is in the thermostat housing. Best to replace when engine is cool. You will lose some coolant when removing the old CTS and installing the CTS. You can check the connections - they may be corroded or dirty but my bet is on the CTS itself.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The tip of the CTS could potentially have deposits on it too. They're cheap, if you buy another and that doesn't fix it, hold on to the new one and put the old one in. You can splice a new connector onto the harness. It might also be a good idea to check your voltage at thr CTS; since its a thermal resistor, the computer has to apply a voltage to it to read it. Should be about 5V, this helps to eliminate the possibility of shorts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts