Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few hours last week, my copper-colored Ram pickup cruised the plains of North Texas like some overdressed Duke of Dallas.
Tall, broad and powerful, the Ram Longhorn Edition offered every option a truck-loving Texan would want: a Hemi V-8, crew cab, etched leather seats, 20-inch wheels, and eight-speed automatic and four-wheel-drive.
Need a hill? The proud, polished Ram could drag one in.
And at about 7 p.m. last Wednesday, it all disappeared in a thick column of acrid brown smoke on the side of the Dallas North Tollway — $54,335 worth of truck gone in about three minutes.

Fred Diaz, CEO of Ram, was profusely apologetic about the fire — but certainly didn’t have to be. I couldn’t find anything to suggest that this was anything other than an extremely rare occurrence.
“We take these things very, very seriously,” Diaz said. “I’ve got to believe this is a one-in-a-billion situation. But we’ve got a team of engineers working on it, and we’ll figure out what happened.”

Whole story at link:

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/columnists/terry-box/20130326-terry-box-freak-pickup-fire-on-test-drive-taught-me-vehicles-dont-burn-like-they-used-to.ece

Doesn't look good for Chrysler :angry2:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Dodge for ever said:
For a few hours last week, my copper-colored Ram pickup cruised the plains of North Texas like some overdressed Duke of Dallas.
Tall, broad and powerful, the Ram Longhorn Edition offered every option a truck-loving Texan would want: a Hemi V-8, crew cab, etched leather seats, 20-inch wheels, and eight-speed automatic and four-wheel-drive.
Need a hill? The proud, polished Ram could drag one in.
And at about 7 p.m. last Wednesday, it all disappeared in a thick column of acrid brown smoke on the side of the Dallas North Tollway — $54,335 worth of truck gone in about three minutes.

Fred Diaz, CEO of Ram, was profusely apologetic about the fire — but certainly didn’t have to be. I couldn’t find anything to suggest that this was anything other than an extremely rare occurrence.
“We take these things very, very seriously,” Diaz said. “I’ve got to believe this is a one-in-a-billion situation. But we’ve got a team of engineers working on it, and we’ll figure out what happened.”

Whole story at link:

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/columnists/terry-box/20130326-terry-box-freak-pickup-fire-on-test-drive-taught-me-vehicles-dont-burn-like-they-used-to.ece

Doesn't look good for Chrysler :angry2:
Freaky!
Mom & Dad bought a new Chev car. 6 months later, Dad stopped at a stop sign (on the way to my Aunt's funeral) .... engine fell out. Dealer towed it in and we went home in a new Oldsmobile. Ddn't look good for GM, but didn't affect sales... nor stop my parents from buying another Chev car (abeit 16 years later).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
55Plaza said:
Freaky!
Mom & Dad bought a new Chev car. 6 months later, Dad stopped at a stop sign (on the way to my Aunt's funeral) .... engine fell out. Dealer towed it in and we went home in a new Oldsmobile. Ddn't look good for GM, but didn't affect sales... nor stop my parents from buying another Chev car (abeit 16 years later).
That is true, but this is a news website that wrote an article about it.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
It happens, and it is overcome. Bad balljoints, engines falling out on the street, EFI systems freezing and catching fires, never hurt any of the car companies over the years. Sorry it happened, sure hope they take care of the guy.

·
Durango Dave!
843 Posts
Talk about luck... What were the chances, that the guy actually "WORKS" for the newspaper. DOH!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Very interesting.

I see many cars that catch fire in the summer time, all diffrent makes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts