Allpar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Depending on power ratings, that'd probably be the only way I'll go all electric in a Jeep. But of course, if it is that great of a battery then why not start a new "power wall" for home use. You could probably fully charge your home for almost 2 weeks on a single charge if this is as good technology as they claim.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
It's cool to see tech coming along... but still no good for the cold yet. With over 700 on a charge maybe we can have battery heating system putting that drive down to 350 miles but that still means we wont make it anywhere to charge up yet. Owning an all electric car would be seasonal for us, about 4 months when it would be parked somewhere warm like taking up space in my shop.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
It's cool to see tech coming along... but still no good for the cold yet. With over 700 on a charge maybe we can have battery heating system putting that drive down to 350 miles but that still means we wont make it anywhere to charge up yet. Owning an all electric car would be seasonal for us, about 4 months when it would be parked somewhere warm like taking up space in my shop.
You mean Canada isn't going "all electric" by such and such a date!? That seems to be all the rage now :ROFLMAO:

·
Jeepaholic
6,404 Posts
Can’t you just pull it with your dogsled? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Depending on power ratings, that'd probably be the only way I'll go all electric in a Jeep. But of course, if it is that great of a battery then why not start a new "power wall" for home use. You could probably fully charge your home for almost 2 weeks on a single charge if this is as good technology as they claim.
Depending upon the price.

·
Jeepaholic
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Tesla battery life in a traffic jam in winter - you'll be fine in the vast majority of cases, aside from truly extreme temps, if you have a decent charge to start. A Model Y with the heat pump at full charge in the VA mess would last 36 hours. The Model X with the resistive heater would last 28 hours. Those numbers were based on maintaining a 70 F internal cabin temp and using the seat heaters. This video was done in Michigan.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,450 Posts
Tesla battery life in a traffic jam in winter - you'll be fine in the vast majority of cases, aside from truly extreme temps, if you have a decent charge to start. A Model Y with the heat pump at full charge in the VA mess would last 36 hours. The Model X with the resistive heater would last 28 hours. Those numbers were based on maintaining a 70 F internal cabin temp and using the seat heaters. This video was done in Michigan.
Yeah, but how many of those would realistically been at "full charge"? Even at half charge, that would still give plenty of sustained heat for the duration many were stuck in traffic although you might be cutting at close with the Model X - some were "stuck" for over 20 hours. Plus, one could extend it by only running the heat as needed - maybe 10-15 minutes every hour. Whenever I have been stuck in such conditions (rare), I would only run the engine long enough to get the cab warm and then shut it off.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Yeah, but how many of those would realistically been at "full charge"? Even at half charge, that would still give plenty of sustained heat for the duration many were stuck in traffic although you might be cutting at close with the Model X - some were "stuck" for over 20 hours. Plus, one could extend it by only running the heat as needed - maybe 10-15 minutes every hour. Whenever I have been stuck in such conditions (rare), I would only run the engine long enough to get the cab warm and then shut it off.
In the video, after 12 hours, they ratcheted the Model Y down to 60 degrees, and based on the results at 18 hours, they'd did the math, and figured they would be good for 2.5 days in the Y at full charge.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Jeepaholic
6,404 Posts
I think they’re only scratching the surface of what is possible with EV technology, the next few years should be interesting.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
38,060 Posts
Lots of people ran out of gas in that. Realistically how many tanks were full? And apparently nobody got gasoline delivered to them until the next day.

The car was tested with the cabin at 70°F with seat heaters on, a prudent person would set to 60° with seat heaters off.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,450 Posts
Realistically how many tanks were full?
Evidently, not many. I would wager that on average, most vehicles have less than half a tank at any given moment.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
38,060 Posts
Evidently, not many. I would wager that on average, most vehicles have less than half a tank at any given moment.
I've learned to always fill the tank when storms are predicted... I once ran our boiler for a week on the Valiant's battery. After that I got a marine battery just for boiler running and a generator.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Electric cars arent for everyone but works great for many if not the most.
- And i think Stella is way after in the game sadly..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts