Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,493 Posts
Yeah, but how many of those would realistically been at "full charge"? Even at half charge, that would still give plenty of sustained heat for the duration many were stuck in traffic although you might be cutting at close with the Model X - some were "stuck" for over 20 hours. Plus, one could extend it by only running the heat as needed - maybe 10-15 minutes every hour. Whenever I have been stuck in such conditions (rare), I would only run the engine long enough to get the cab warm and then shut it off.
Lots of people ran out of gas in that. Realistically how many tanks were full? And apparently nobody got gasoline delivered to them until the next day.

The car was tested with the cabin at 70°F with seat heaters on, a prudent person would set to 60° with seat heaters off.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,493 Posts
Evidently, not many. I would wager that on average, most vehicles have less than half a tank at any given moment.
I've learned to always fill the tank when storms are predicted... I once ran our boiler for a week on the Valiant's battery. After that I got a marine battery just for boiler running and a generator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts