Allpar Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Isn't this the same one from cars.com and Motor Week? Looks like it, Motor Week had it on their show this week.

Yes, they love the Grand Cherokee.

Mike

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is the Cars.com/MW test.

Very clear where the market seems to be sitting right now and what's being compared against what.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
So will the Cherokee do this well against the Escape, RAV4, CR-V, etc? :)

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
hmk123 said:
So will the Cherokee do this well against the Escape, RAV4, CR-V, etc? :)
That is the $64,000 question. Personally, yes, I think it will, regardless of its Jeep-ness.

Mike

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
The biggest flaw in this comparison is that not all the vehicles tested were AWD. The Grand Cherokee was RWD, the Santa Fe was FWD.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
The biggest flaw in this comparison is that not all the vehicles tested were AWD. The Grand Cherokee was RWD, the Santa Fe was FWD.
Is that a flaw or reality? I know several people cross shopping the vehicles in the comparison and those configurations.

The GC in RWD is competing with FWD vehicles... Even though it is clearly more capable.

Mike

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Mike V. said:
Is that a flaw or reality? I know several people cross shopping the vehicles in the comparison and those configurations.

The GC in RWD is competing with FWD vehicles... Even though it is clearly more capable.

Mike
It's a flaw. Some were AWD.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Ok now I get you. Depends on how you look at it. While I agree with you, the point they tried to make on Motor Week was that, even with the $38k price ceiling, you can get AWD in some of them.

Mike

·
Registered
820 Posts
Toyota Venza is not an SUV. It is a Station Wagon. None of these vehicles are even close to a Grand Cherokee. Why did they waste time testing them when all they had to do was look at them. Grand Cherokee blows them all away big time

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Erik Latranyi said:
The requirement stated was "To make the cut, these SUVs had to cost less than $38,000." Said nothing about drivetrain. And the score breakdown was "The experts' scores account for 75% of the total score; 15% from the family's scores; and 10% was based on fuel economy." Again - nothing directly having to do with AWD.

plymouth1 said:
Toyota Venza is not an SUV. It is a Station Wagon. None of these vehicles are even close to a Grand Cherokee.
But ALL of these vehicles are - by and large - station wagons.

plymouth1 said:
Why did they waste time testing them when all they had to do was look at them. Grand Cherokee blows them all away big time
Because this is what automotive blogs and sites SHOULD be doing - comparing vehicles and reporting what they found.

If all they have to do is "look at them", then it becomes a beauty contest - a superficial way to compare vehicles at best.

This is more of a realistic consumer comparison than most, IMHO.

·
3,813 Posts
It's not a flaw because cars.com etc do not pick what the manufacturer sends them. They give the criteria to the manufacturers media people, who then send them what vehicle they think will do best in that test.. in this case, $38,000 price ceiling.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
Can't believe I got priced out of the mid sized Suv market so quickly. :O

Glad I still like the 1969 Trail Dusters

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
jerseyjoe said:
Can't believe I got priced out of the mid sized Suv market so quickly. :O

Glad I still like the 1969 Trail Dusters
The Plymouth Trailduster was not available until 1974.

:)

Mike

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
Mike V. said:
The Plymouth Trailduster was not available until 1974.
:)
Mike
Yep the 1969 TD is the one I can afford. Alternate answer, would you believe the internet lies? :)

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I agree, they're all station wagons, especially when there's no 4wd. I also agree that without 4wd, it is fine to cross-compare FWD to RWD, as people cross-compare late-model Chargers vs Impalas vs Tauruses, and back when the minivan was young, they cross-shopped the Caravan against the Aerostar and the Astro.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Venza would do better compared to Journey. My sister bought a Venza, and after seeing her $39K Venza and my $23K Journey, there wasnt a lot of substance to make the Venza worth the coin. If my Journey was equipped like hers, it would nave still been 12K less minus leather. We will both drive to 150K or so and trade, but it just goes to show the mentality of folks. She wished she had bought the Journey now with the payment difference. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts