Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 572 Posts

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many believe that Reid Bigland was directly responsible (along with his boss) for Dodge pulling out of NASCAR. Now that he is no longer the brand CEO for Dodge... Will we see the focus change?

Mike

·
Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
10,011 Posts
Mike V. said:
Many believe that Reid Bigland was directly responsible (along with his boss) for Dodge pulling out of NASCAR. Now that he is no longer the brand CEO for Dodge... Will we see the focus change?

Mike
NOPE! Don't count on it Mike. Actually I did find out later that Reid WAS a supporter of Chrysler in NASCAR after the fact. This was reported in the Dan Reid - Chrysler PR contact thread.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally Bob, I'm not totally convinced by the PR spin. I'm sorry to say that.

Mike

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Proof is in the pudding, if Ram all of a sudden starts racing in the NASCAR Truck Series, then yes, Bigland is a supporter. If they don't, then it was just more PR spin to blow smoke.

·
Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
10,011 Posts
It's starting up again guys! We can't do this, remember! Chrysler is watching! I don't need another reprimand from Dave!

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
drew54 said:
I think Ralph is honestly working on a return, and if it is not financially not viable (for whatever reason, unable to put together a worthy Cup program, Europe recession, lack of marketing funds from the other brands, investing into production intent product) they will stay out.
Drew, due to the sensitivity of this topic, I have removed your post and kept what is relevant in the quote above. The goal of this thread is to discuss future support and show the new guy at Dodge that we want him to support motor sports such as NASCAR.

The past is done, lets move forward, and remember eyes are watching us. Let's keep it friendly and on point please.

Mike

·
2,570 Posts
Dang, I thought that was as positive towards Chrysler as I could make it. I will say this. To expand on my worthy cup program comment, I think this makes it very unlikely to see them invest in truck racing alone.

I think if they do come back in trucks alone, it would not be cost effective. To me, the only way it works is if there is intent to develop a few young drivers in trucks and slide them into Nationwide, and eventually cup. Not just drivers, but everyone. Offer scholarships to trade schools. Find those true gearhead Moparians and rebuild a true farm system of teams to ensure they succeed and can progress up the ladder.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
drew54 said:
Dang, I thought that was as positive towards Chrysler as I could make it. I will say this. To expand on my worthy cup program comment, I think this makes it very unlikely to see them invest in truck racing alone.

I think if they do come back in trucks alone, it would not be cost effective. To me, the only way it works is if there is intent to develop a few young drivers in trucks and slide them into Nationwide, and eventually cup. Not just drivers, but everyone. Offer scholarships to trade schools. Find those true gearhead Moparians and rebuild a true farm system of teams to ensure they succeed and can progress up the ladder.
Don't forget, when Dodge came back to NASCAR, they started in the Truck Series.
My point is and remains, Bigland controls the Ram marketing budget, only, not Dodge, so if he is a fan of racing, he can't control what Dodge Marketing does, but he can control what Ram does.

As far as fearing what Chrysler thinks about our freedom of speech and first amendment rights, here at Allpar, just let me say that several, former forum contributors have written me to complain about the censorship, as the primary reason they no longer post in Motorsports.
It's a tough path for the Moderators to walk when they are getting pressure from both sides.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
FWIW, I only recall Bigland acknowledging the NASCAR effort after the Penske team was within a few races from winning the title. And probably because he was asked, not something out of his own volition.

Maybe he has a new-found appreciation? Maybe it was always there? Maybe he was just saying it because the brand was winning and wanted to feign support for a few more weeks? As with everything lately, only they know for sure.

I'm not sure this helps/hurts the motorsports situation - they'd still need to get past Marchionne & Co. to do anything. I'm sure this is not their primary concern at the moment, for better or worse.

I do think/presume anything we see will be a start-from-the-bottom effort (trucks, NNS) - then again, there were various scenarios in which they could've done that this year to "preserve" their spot in the sport, so to speak, but alas - nothing.

If anything motorsports-centric changes, it'd likely be the Hart/Huntington Supercross sponsorship, imo.

I do welcome Kuniskis with open arms (he's a NY man, so that helps a bit...) and wish him and Bigland well in their new positions. I think they'll both shine with their new respective brands product-wise, at least.

Anywho, we are no closer to finding a NASCAR solution than where we were on March 1st, 2012. It will likely continue to be this way for the near future.

As far as I'm concerned, my (baseless) bet is, has been, and will continue to be until proven otherwise, that five years from now, Dodge/SRT/whatever they're called at that point, will make Penske the offer they should've back in late 2011... along with Petty or whatever. And they'd still need to find an engine builder/program... :rolleyes:

Norm, if I could +2 you on your last point, I would.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MoparNorm said:
As far as fearing what Chrysler thinks about our freedom of speech and first amendment rights, here at Allpar, just let me say that several, former forum contributors have written me to complain about the censorship, as the primary reason they no longer post in Motorsports.
It's a tough path for the Moderators to walk when they are getting pressure from both sides.
It is a fine line that we walk. Motorsports can be a sore subject for many many many people, not just the fans here. I hope that the members here understand that we do want discussion, but we need to remember that comments here can affect Allpar on a larger scale.

This thread should be about the future, not the past.

Mike

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Mike V. said:
Mike
As long as Marchionne is steering the company through the minefield of a failing economy, the individuals in charge of his brands, are not going to make a difference in regards to racing and focus.
The current and future focus is to concentrate every penny on marketing the new models coming on the new platforms. Racing in GRC and ALMS is for the purpose of moving those models. NASCAR racing would move only Dodge (in his mind) so it is taking a backseat to placing those millions in other areas of marketing, like TV, special events and other marketing campaigns, that (again in his mind) benefit the entire corporation.
There are only so many dollars to spread around and the perception of value out of NASCAR is not on his radar at the moment, so no, it makes no difference who the Brand CEO's are. The focus is elsewhere.

·
Administrator
35,237 Posts
I agree with Mike on this.

Sometimes we lose people whose input we value, and we regret that. Sometimes we lose loudmouths, and we regret that less.

Moderation on Allpar is not normally all that severe. If there are specific cases where you feel we were wrong, just say the word.

As a side note — I would expect news on NASCAR this/next month.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DaveAdmin said:

Sometimes we lose people whose input we value, and we regret that. Sometimes we lose loudmouths, and we regret that less.

Moderation on Allpar is not normally all that severe. If there are specific cases where you feel we were wrong, just say the word.

Thank you Dave!

Mike

MoparNorm said:
As long as Marchionne is steering the company through the minefield of a failing economy, the individuals in charge of his brands, are not going to make a difference in regards to racing and focus.
The current and future focus is to concentrate every penny on marketing the new models coming on the new platforms. Racing in GRC and ALMS is for the purpose of moving those models. NASCAR racing would move only Dodge (in his mind) so it is taking a backseat to placing those millions in other areas of marketing, like TV, special events and other marketing campaigns, that (again in his mind) benefit the entire corporation.
There are only so many dollars to spread around and the perception of value out of NASCAR is not on his radar at the moment, so no, it makes no difference who the Brand CEO's are. The focus is elsewhere.
Racing in NASCAR can promote specific vehicles also. My fingers are still crossed. A new boss is in town and we know SRT wants back in the game. Maybe this will create the prefect cooperation to convince the higher up that it needs to be.

Mike

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Mike V. said:
Racing in NASCAR can promote specific vehicles also. My fingers are still crossed. A new boss is in town and we know SRT wants back in the game. Maybe this will create the prefect cooperation to convince the higher up that it needs to be.
Mike
Possibly, but there isn't a new boss in town, there is a new figurehead. ;)

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MoparNorm said:
Possibly, but there isn't a new boss in town, there is a new figurehead. ;)
Only time will tell.

Mike

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
DaveAdmin said:

Well that's interesting... and pleasantly suprising. Time to churn up the ol' rumor mill again?

·
2,570 Posts
:stirthepot:

For what it is worth, Ralph and Beth have been tweeting during some races this year. It gives me hope that they are working towards something.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
It would be nice, but I read the article, and I can't help but think that is a lot of If's but's, candy, and nuts.

Time will tell. BTW, isn't this about the time last year, when Roger decided Ford would be better for them. How's that working out for them?

Die Ford Die

1 - 20 of 572 Posts