Allpar Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
35,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still experimental... but here it is

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.conduit.app_17b4715952454afdaeaf23fab61f55e0.app&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5jb25kdWl0LmFwcF8xN2I0NzE1OTUyNDU0YWZkYWVhZjIzZmFiNjFmNTVlMC5hcHAiXQ..

Q&A:

1) Why no IOS app? Because Apple wants $99 and Android Store wanted $25.
2) When will we get an IOS app? When we see how much people like this one, and possibly after we create something completely new.
3) Why isn't the home page / new features here? Because the service we created it with doesn't have those features.
4) What did it cost to make it? Invaluable time that I'll never get back.
5) Why does it request so many permissions? I don't know.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Cool!

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Question!
Why does the iPad display this page exactly the same way as my desk top, but the iPhone displays an abbreviated version???
Is it the App making it a Readers Digest, abbreviated version, or is it an Apple Thing, simply because of the screen size?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I downloaded the app is there a way to get to the forums or is it just for news, videos and facebook?

·
Administrator
35,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can't get it for the forums -- sorry!! I'm hoping we can do something better in future.

"Why does the iPad display this page exactly the same way as my desk top, but the iPhone displays an abbreviated version???
Is it the App making it a Readers Digest, abbreviated version, or is it an Apple Thing, simply because of the screen size?"

It's because of the screen size. Apple isn't doing anything, there are automatic features that take hold. Allpar's home page, forums, and news would be practically useless on the iPhone screen but they're fine on iPad. For regular pages, I shut off the sidebar so there's enough width to actually read the pages. (There are also style sheet changes.) The issue there is the images are still too big.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
You can't get it for the forums -- sorry!! I'm hoping we can do something better in future.

"Why does the iPad display this page exactly the same way as my desk top, but the iPhone displays an abbreviated version???
Is it the App making it a Readers Digest, abbreviated version, or is it an Apple Thing, simply because of the screen size?"

It's because of the screen size. Apple isn't doing anything, there are automatic features that take hold. Allpar's home page, forums, and news would be practically useless on the iPhone screen but they're fine on iPad. For regular pages, I shut off the sidebar so there's enough width to actually read the pages. (There are also style sheet changes.) The issue there is the images are still too big.
Thanks!
I was completely amazed with the iPad display, to bad it's 2" too wide to be able to use my thumbs and too awkward to use as a keyboard...training is required! ;)

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Yes - screen size. Tablets tend to been viewed as desktops for web page display - I'll leave that for individuals to decide if that's a good thing or not. I find that while it's nice to see the full page, the text and links end up so small that I have to increase the size just to read it.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Would it be beneficial to make a small announcement about the app, so that more people would know about it?

·
Administrator
35,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I can adjust it so there's no sidebar on tablets. At least Kindle Fire, since its screen is teeny weeny. This mobilization thing is not helping those of us who spent years gradually adjusting to fast bandwidth and wide screens, I thought 640 x 480 was well behind us...

[at]UN, no, because we have a max of 500 users with the app, it's largely experimental at this point. I'm hoping to gather some data on how useful it is, etc., while exploring more in depth solutions.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Well, I can adjust it so there's no sidebar on tablets. At least Kindle Fire, since its screen is teeny weeny. This mobilization thing is not helping those of us who spent years gradually adjusting to fast bandwidth and wide screens, I thought 640 x 480 was well behind us...

[at]UN, no, because we have a max of 500 users with the app, it's largely experimental at this point. I'm hoping to gather some data on how useful it is, etc., while exploring more in depth solutions.
oh ok, makes sense.

·
Administrator
35,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WRT WinMobile and iPhone, -- each wants $99 in registration fees, while Android just wants $25. In both cases that's "per year." I'd rather have something finished and final before moving forward there. The main problem is that the existing apps I can find do not attack the main problem, which is either dealing with the home page or, ideally, dealing with EVERY page. There's an open source php program that would be good (albeit working through Safari/Chrome/whatever) but it's not working quite right.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
One thing to note on the android app, is that there is code visible in some of the articles, as it seems to work like an rss reader in a sense.

EX: "Chrysler quality effort going to single cases?" article

·
Administrator
35,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, it IS an RSS reader. That said, there's a problem with the photo code in that particular article.

It's not an ideal solution. I tried again today but there's no ready facility to do what we need it to do.

I do like the announcements potential though.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
3) Why isn't the home page / new features here? Because the service we created it with doesn't have those features.

Does access to the forums via the app fall into the same category as above?

·
I'm so far behind I thought I was in first place.
4,810 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead, but a forum app would be fantastic. Is the forum software tapatalk compatible?

Reactions: poorboy_616
1 - 17 of 17 Posts