Allpar Forums banner
241 - 260 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
And yet, Cadillac has done some stunning showcars in recent years. It's too bad they don't have the courage of their convictions. Cadillac's real problem, Lincoln, and Imperial's, also, is that they aren't differentiated enough stylistically from their lesser brethren to be believable as luxury cars. The truth is that they have lost their 'cache' due to platform sharing. Cadillac's look like bad Chevrolets, Lincoln's like Taurus', and Imperial's became Chrysler New Yorkers, no exclusivity, which of course, is the hallmark of luxury. So why buy a luxury car when you can get a tarted up Chevy, Ford or Plymouth?

·
Banned
3,138 Posts
CT4 and CT5 are a reskinned Camaro and a stretch Camaro. They are quite different from the Camaro, ugly but different.
XT4 is a reskinned Envision, XT5/6 a reskinned Acadia, Escalade a reskinned Yukon/XL

Don't expect show car styling on a production car, it doesn't work that way. Not if you intend to sell more than 2000 a year.

Lexus ES is a reskinned Avalon, GS, IS, RS share with JDM Toyotas not sold here. Avalon was just discontinued in the US, so once again Lexus exclusive in the US, but it is just a stretch Camry.

UX is a reskinned C-HR, NX a reskinned RAV4, RX a reskinned Highlander, GX a reskinned 4Runner, LX a reskinned Land Cruiser.

Being worried about Imperial being just another Chrysler is a ship that sailed a long time ago, 1966 to be precise. It is a weird complaint to put in a news section. It was only exclusive for 12 model years, all came out before I was born, get over it. It was just another Chrysler before 1955 for much longer, and always called Chrysler Imperial by the general public.

Even your Maseratis are on a modified LX platform. This isn't Ferrari, Stellantis doesn't do exclusive platforms outside Wrangler and Ram.

·
Registered
466 Posts
And yet, Cadillac has done some stunning showcars in recent years. It's too bad they don't have the courage of their convictions. Cadillac's real problem, Lincoln, and Imperial's, also, is that they aren't differentiated enough stylistically from their lesser brethren to be believable as luxury cars. The truth is that they have lost their 'cache' due to platform sharing. Cadillac's look like bad Chevrolets, Lincoln's like Taurus', and Imperial's became Chrysler New Yorkers, no exclusivity, which of course, is the hallmark of luxury. So why buy a luxury car when you can get a tarted up Chevy, Ford or Plymouth?
I agree at one point that those brands did look like their less expensive siblings but now Cadillac's are just ugly. Lincoln has done a good job but a few look like they could have been designed by someone that quit Chrysler.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Throwing stones from glass houses and all that. Cadillac is still struggling as a luxury brand to some degree and some may find them ugly, but it’s in better shape than Chrysler. They’re also planning to continue to introduce luxury cars in a price range that Chrysler will not play in so we don’t need to turn this into a Chrysler vs. Caddy thread. They’re not positioned as head to head rivals given the brand direction set by their CEOs (yes, I understand some products may compete in the same segment though).

·
Banned
3,138 Posts
Throwing stones from glass houses and all that. Cadillac is still struggling as a luxury brand to some degree and some may find them ugly, but it’s in better shape than Chrysler. They’re also planning to continue to introduce luxury cars in a price range that Chrysler will not play in so we don’t need to turn this into a Chrysler vs. Caddy thread. They’re not positioned as head to head rivals given the brand direction set by their CEOs (yes, I understand some products may compete in the same segment though).
It sounds like Chrysler is preparing to take on Tesla. I don't see how they do that at any less than the $36K XT4, $37K CT5 and $33K CT4.

They will undoubtedly be going head to head with the $59K 2023 Cadillac Lyric with that Airflow. Airflow looks vastly superior from the front, the Lyric D pillar and rear hatch are vastly superior to that Jeep pillar obstructing the view that they stuck on the Airflow. The back of the airflow kind of looks like the XT6.

Only thing Cadillac doesn't have is a minivan, and they should give that back to Dodge.

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
1,962 Posts
It sounds like Chrysler is preparing to take on Tesla. I don't see how they do that at any less than the $36K XT4, $37K CT5 and $33K CT4.

They will undoubtedly be going head to head with the $59K 2023 Cadillac Lyric with that Airflow. Airflow looks vastly superior from the front, the Lyric D pillar and rear hatch are vastly superior to that Jeep pillar obstructing the view that they stuck on the Airflow. The back of the airflow kind of looks like the XT6.

Only thing Cadillac doesn't have is a minivan, and they should give that back to Dodge.
Chrysler will never compete with Tesla, ever. That's just my opinion. Also Cadillac doesn't need the minivan market since that market is slowly dying anyways.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
4,966 Posts
I'm not sure Chrysler is trying to take on anybody with future plans. They will be trying to find a sweet spot for their new product. If it indeed is all electric then all electrics in that class would be competition.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts

I specifically said “yes, I understand some products may compete in the same segment though” because I knew you’d respond. Unlike Chrysler, Cadillac is getting product like a flagship “ultra luxury” sedan (Celestiq) that is that is firmly in the $100k+ territory and a BOF EV (Escalade) that will also be in the $100k+ arena. They consider themselves a luxury brand.

·
Banned
3,138 Posts
I specifically said “yes, I understand some products may compete in the same segment though” because I knew you’d respond. Unlike Chrysler, Cadillac is getting product like a flagship “ultra luxury” sedan (Celestiq) that is that is firmly in the $100k+ territory and a BOF EV (Escalade) that will also be in the $100k+ arena. They consider themselves a luxury brand.
I consider them a luxury brand too, because their lineup starts with a $33K turbo 4 compact car, $36K turbo 4 compact SUV and $37K turbo 4 midsize car. You don't have to sell $100K vehicles to be a luxury brand. If GM had Maserati and Jeep they would make their $100K sedan and SUV under those brands too. Just because Cadillac has a couple of low production halo vehicles doesn't mean that the vast majority of their future lineup and the vast majority of Chrysler's future lineup won't be direct competition, $33K to $50K compact and midsize cars and SUVs. Under the new plan Chrysler will be directly competing with Cadillac and Tesla with 80%+ product overlap. It is only the Tesla 3 and Y that have decent sales numbers, the super expensive ones the magazines write about barely sell at all.

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts
I just read the Stellpower post on Facebook about the Freep article on the CEO of the Chrysler brand. It's almost hilarious how she tap dances around everything. She confirms nothing, doesn't give much of a timeline on anything that may or may not be coming. 2025 to 2028 or something like that. Does she not understand that this is the same dribble we've heard about the brand for the last at least 5 years? If this continues, and no firm plans are laid out there won't be anything to save. She doesn't have to tip her hand as such, but say something. I get so tired of this same crap we've heard for years. Nothing about nothing.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I just read the Stellpower post on Facebook about the Freep article on the CEO of the Chrysler brand. It's almost hilarious how she tap dances around everything. She confirms nothing, doesn't give much of a timeline on anything that may or may not be coming. 2025 to 2028 or something like that. Does she not understand that this is the same dribble we've heard about the brand for the last at least 5 years? If this continues, and no firm plans are laid out there won't be anything to save. She doesn't have to tip her hand as such, but say something. I get so tired of this same crap we've heard for years. Nothing about nothing.
EXCELLENT! She is doing exactly what any responsible executive in a very competitive field needs to do.
It's a little thing called 'Playing your cards close to the vest'

You say you don't want Ms Feuell to 'tip her hand', but reading your post tells me you want the exact opposite from her.

Transparency is something we expect, want, and need from Governments and Non-Profit NGO's.

Last time I checked...STELL/\NTIS, NV is neither of those.

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts
I don't want transparency, what I'd like to see is what they did during Iacocca's time. They actually told us, the customer what was coming in the pipeline. We knew several years in advance that the T300 or new Ram pickup was coming. We didn't know exactly what it was going to look like, but we knew a new one was coming. There are other examples, we knew the LH cars were coming, same story there as well. Chrysler has zero cards to keep close to the chest. She needs to bring awareness to her brand, and saying nothing about anything isn't the way to create buzz. She was quick to point out that whatever comes won't look too much like the concept. Another way not to create buzz about your brand.

241 - 260 of 312 Posts