Allpar Forums banner
301 - 312 of 312 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
True, if they sold them in the corner of CDJR dealers. They wouldn't have been viable supporting a standalone Fiat dealer network.
Stand alone Fiat dealer requirements were dropped in spring of 2017. Most all Fiat dealerships are now combined with Alfa (the original plan) or are part of a CDJR store.

·
Banned
3,138 Posts
Stand alone Fiat dealer requirements were dropped in spring of 2017. Most all Fiat dealerships are now combined with Alfa (the original plan) or are part of a CDJR store.
Yep, in 2017 after they had already failed. Originally in 2009 Sergio said Alfa needed to be produced in the US and sold along with CDJR to succeed, then a year later he rolled out the stand alone dealer plan, which is what happened in 2011. 7 years of stand alone dealers.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I posted something a while back about splitting up the CDJR dealerships under the new management, what do you think? Each brand will have more models.
I don't recall your post but back in the 90's they were spilt and it mostly made sense. Chrysler was with Jeep. Sometimes it was Chrysler, Plymouth, Jeep and Eagle in some areas while some were stand alone stores. What didn't make sense was when a franchise was 10 minutes down the road which lead to discounted models and poor customer service. As of now Chrysler and Jeep should be together since Chrysler is going back to being a premium brand and Jeep is going luxury. Dodge and Ram can do well together as they always did when they were just Dodge.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have about 3 CDJR dealers around my area. What I could imagine happening is one becomes Chrysler and Jeep, probably closer to the wealthier area of San Antonio. The one closer to where I used to live becomes a Dodge and Alfa Romeo dealer, and the third becomes a standalone Ram dealer.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
4,966 Posts
The local dealer we bought our new Jeep from just built a brand new building. It cost them 10 million dollars. The sales manager said they bought more property next door for an undisclosed future project. I assume it has something to do with Alfa and possibly Maserati.

·
Banned
3,138 Posts
I posted something a while back about splitting up the CDJR dealerships under the new management, what do you think? Each brand will have more models.
I don't recall your post but back in the 90's they were spilt and it mostly made sense. Chrysler was with Jeep. Sometimes it was Chrysler, Plymouth, Jeep and Eagle in some areas while some were stand alone stores. What didn't make sense was when a franchise was 10 minutes down the road which lead to discounted models and poor customer service. As of now Chrysler and Jeep should be together since Chrysler is going back to being a premium brand and Jeep is going luxury. Dodge and Ram can do well together as they always did when they were just Dodge.
I have about 3 CDJR dealers around my area. What I could imagine happening is one becomes Chrysler and Jeep, probably closer to the wealthier area of San Antonio. The one closer to where I used to live becomes a Dodge and Alfa Romeo dealer, and the third becomes a standalone Ram dealer.
The local dealer we bought our new Jeep from just built a brand new building. It cost them 10 million dollars. The sales manager said they bought more property next door for an undisclosed future project. I assume it has something to do with Alfa and possibly Maserati.
As I posted in another thread, from '90 to '05 Chrsyler and Dodge had compact, midsize and large cars. Jeep went with Eagle at the former AMC dealers. Intrepid, Vision and Concorde were different noses and tails stuck on the same car A to C pillar. Breeze, Stratus and Cirrus/Sebring shared the same way, as did Avenger/Stratus coupe and Sebring coupe. They were properly set up for their dealership structure.

According to the new plan, Chrysler gets BEVs, Jeep off road biased SUVs, Ram pickups and vans, and Dodge everything else. Dealers always want to compete in every segment. They don't need to change from CDJR, just fix the customer service for everyone. It's not like Toyota is an upscale brand.

·
Registered
536 Posts
As I posted in another thread, from '90 to '05 Chrsyler and Dodge had compact, midsize and large cars. Jeep went with Eagle at the former AMC dealers. Intrepid, Vision and Concorde were different noses and tails stuck on the same car A to C pillar. Breeze, Stratus and Cirrus/Sebring shared the same way, as did Avenger/Stratus coupe and Sebring coupe. They were properly set up for their dealership structure.

According to the new plan, Chrysler gets BEVs, Jeep off road biased SUVs, Ram pickups and vans, and Dodge everything else. Dealers always want to compete in every segment. They don't need to change from CDJR, just fix the customer service for everyone. It's not like Toyota is an upscale brand.
I think they do need to split them up. Jeep is going to take up most of the dealer floor. I can't imagine a buyer who wants a Dodge or a Chrysler being led to the back of the building to find what they want. Having CJDR dealers crowded with Jeeps in the front will make most people forget what Dodge and Chrysler offers unless they see commercials and reviews for those products.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
4,966 Posts
I doubt they will split them up. They duped dealers into the Fiat fiasco, and after visiting one of their newest dealerships, it would be a waste of money to do that. What they have in new dealerships are just fine. You can look at each brand and make your decision from there.

301 - 312 of 312 Posts