Allpar Forums banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Does anyone actually buy the 2wd SUVs outside of fleets perhaps?
As of 2014 48% of compact SUVs were FWD, 41% of midsize SUVs were FWD and 40% of full size SUVs were RWD. Those figures may have shifted 10% in the past 7 years, but you can be certain they are still significant percentages. AWD overall is up 11%, FWD is down 9% and RWD is down 3% (to under 10%).

·
Registered
15,279 Posts
As of 2014 48% of compact SUVs were FWD, 41% of midsize SUVs were FWD and 40% of full size SUVs were RWD. Those figures may have shifted 10% in the past 7 years, but you can be certain they are still significant percentages. AWD overall is up 11%, FWD is down 9% and RWD is down 3% (to under 10%).

As Mazda and others have announced, they will only offer AWD in their CUVs.

At this point, unless you have massive volumes, offering only one driveline is more efficient than offering two.

·
Super Moderator
32,835 Posts
Experienced the same thing the other day. Huge dealer in East TN, 40 cars on the lot. I browsed and was never approached by a salesperson.
That's common and a reflection on the dealer, not the times. When my dad shopped for his first and only new car in 1989, we went to a Dodge dealer near me around 8:30 am. Three guys all drinking coffee ignored us. Browsed the catalog rack to get them to approach, and none did for about 15 minutes.
My dad wanted a new Plymouth Acclaim or Dodge Spirit. They didn't have one with a floor shifter in stock, and tried to steer him to a Dodge Shadow that was an 'executive' car. They said it had 1,500 miles (it was really 15,000), and the door jambs were entirely coated with sand, as if you opened the door, sprayed the jambs with oil and threw handfuls of sand on it.
They wanted sticker price.
My dad was kind of shy and non-confrontational, and declined. At that point, the salesman got exasperated and said, "Well, you really aren't going to buy a new car, are you?"
We were stunned, and my dad said, "Well, not from you with that attitude." And we walked.
That dealer had 106 BBB complaints open, the most of any company in MA. And they failed about 5 years later and were bought by a larger auto group, and have been stellar since.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As much as I hate to sound like the old days of "build what competes with GM/Ford" rather than think outside the box (a la PT Cruiser, Minivans, etc), there will always be a case for Chrysler so long as there are new Buicks being sold. Buick is the near luxury segment that Chrysler is today. Nearly every available Buick should have a Chrysler counterpart (that is, the Buick's that sell well, at least). If there is a market for a Buick, then Chrysler can compete.

JS

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
As Mazda and others have announced, they will only offer AWD in their CUVs.

At this point, unless you have massive volumes, offering only one driveline is more efficient than offering two.
Stellantis should have massive volumes. Stelllantis is #6 Mazda is #17 and makes under 2 million cars a year. Jeep can go all AWD, Mazda can go all AWD. Stellantis has to have FWD to compete with VW, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, GM, Ford and Hyundai. Forget about what Mazda and BMW are doing, they aren't in the same size class. The top 8 manufacturers all made over 4 million cars a year last year, the next closest (Daimler) only made 2.5 million.

If Stellantis doesn't sell massive volumes of FWD SUVs it is due to brand mismanagement.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Stellantis should have massive volumes. Stelllantis is #6 Mazda is #17 and makes under 2 million cars a year. Jeep can go all AWD, Mazda can go all AWD. Stellantis has to have FWD to compete with VW, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, GM, Ford and Hyundai. Forget about what Mazda and BMW are doing, they aren't in the same size class. The top 8 manufacturers all made over 4 million cars a year last year, the next closest (Daimler) only made 2.5 million.

If Stellantis doesn't sell massive volumes of FWD SUVs it is due to brand mismanagement.
2020 sales
1.Ford 1,929,298

2Toyota 1,837,900

3Chevrolet 1,727,736
Where Dodge+ Ram should be, around 1.6 million (actual 891,970)
4.Honda 1,209,805

5.Nissan 819,715

6Jeep 795,313

7Ram 624,642

8Hyundai 622,269

9Subaru 611,942

10Kia 586,105

11GMC 515,311
Where Chrysler needs to be, around 450K
12Volkswagen 325,783

13Mercedes-Benz 322,929

14Mazda 279,076

15.BMW 278,732

16Lexus 274,871
Where Dodge and Chrysler actually were
17.Dodge 267,328

18Tesla 205,600

19.Audi 186,620

20.Buick 162,741

21Acura 136,982

22.Cadillac 129,495

23Chrysler 110,464

24Volvo 107,626

25Lincoln 105,410

26.Mitsubishi 87,387

27.Infiniti 79,502

The case for discontinuing Alfa and Fiat in the US.
31Alfa Romeo 18,581

35.Fiat 4,294

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,246 Posts
Chrysler needs to be what Dodge is not. Smooth silent extremely comfortable. Mate it 100% electric. Something my 300 S is not. Right now I really don't see a Dodge in my future. It has the bad-boy race me look I am not interested in. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins.
4,441 Posts
Chrysler needs to be what Dodge is not. Smooth silent extremely comfortable. Something my 300 S is not. Right now I really don't see a Dodge in my future. It has the bad-boy race me look I am not interested in. Oh yes make it 100% electric. My 2 cents.
There is room for that. Jeep, off road, Dodge, go fast, Chrysler, cars and CUVs with style and comfort. The electrification should be decided by the market demands.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,246 Posts
I was at the local MOPAR dealership in the local auto sales area, it was by far the busiest of all brands, all the sales people were writing people up. Lot was packed with cars coming off lease, I guess that was the big attraction. Any new vehicle had a 60% + markup. All other dealers had no cars to speak of. Did not pass the Toyota dealership. Daughter in-law got a new SUV there, takes her whole By-weekly paycheck as payments. Hardly anything down!

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,246 Posts
There is room for that. Jeep, off road, Dodge, go fast, Chrysler, cars and CUVs with style and comfort. The electrification should be decided by the market demands.
Local news paper says $12,00 cash incentive on new EVs. They are acomin!

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,778 Posts
Local news paper says $12,00 cash incentive on new EVs. They are acomin!
Manchin just turned down the $4500 incentives...

Can I be okay with BEVs but against government subsidies? Unless they limit them to American-made EVs under $20,000!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Chrysler needs to be what Dodge is not. Smooth silent extremely comfortable. Mate it 100% electric. Something my 300 S is not. Right now I really don't see a Dodge in my future. It has the bad-boy race me look I am not interested in. My 2 cents.
I agree, but I do think they should offer different degrees of electrification ranging from mild hybrids to full bev if possible.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Manchin just turned down the $4500 incentives...

Can I be okay with BEVs but against government subsidies? Unless they limit them to American-made EVs under $20,000!
I don't think there should be any subsidies on any electric cars. If they can't sell on their own merit because people want them then they shouldn't be selling them at all

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,778 Posts
I don't think there should be any subsidies on any electric cars. If they can't sell on their own merit because people want them then they shouldn't be selling them at all
Yup. Or at least phase them out on luxury models.

Oddly enough I don't think it's a bad idea for government to lend a hand with infrastructure in some areas, there's a lot of precedent for that, e.g. the TVA, but there should be some way for the money to be paid back eventually.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts