Allpar Forums banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,939 Posts
My midsize 2015 200 is 193" long. The midsize Giulia is 183" long. The current Charger is 198" long. My garage and I might get pretty excited about an upcoming 188" long Charger.
I'd be shocked if they took 10" off the length...

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm sorry what? I'm not an expert so it was a genuine question. I honestly do not know.
I believe srt 392 is discontinued. Rt is stepping up so it can be on the level of the ss and GT trims of the competition. Srt will compete with the Shelby and zl1. The previous hierarchy was far to muddled imo, but putting the lineup in direct competition with others may be a mistake. Unless dodge Can dominate all price points. And can keep it up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'd be shocked if they took 10" off the length...
Everything I've read about the new Charger it will get a pretty good cut in overhang, kind of European style. I was a bit surprised the mid sized Giulia came in at Dart length. But then again I wasn't surprised.

·
Super Moderator
6,939 Posts
Everything I've read about the new Charger it will get a pretty good cut in overhang, kind of European style. I was a bit surprised the mid sized Giulia came in at Dart length. But then again I wasn't surprised.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but retention of current or very similar build points would prevent a major change in size. Right?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was really hoping for a NA 426 model to slot in as an SRT 392 replacement between the Scat Pack/Daytona and Hellcat. Apparently that now appears not to be the case and if I understood correctly the LX platform swan song will be another Hellcat derivative. I imagine it's very costly to certify the new 426 engine for a single model year but I do wonder how big HP increases on the existing platform makes sense either. The chassis appear to be somewhat overpowered by the existing engine already and the cost keep moving further into the stratosphere.

Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what comes next year.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Giulia is a direct competitor to premium compact offerings.

Officially Dart was a mid-size.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but retention of current or very similar build points would prevent a major change in size. Right?
Not necessarily. They cam improve packaging with some thinner metal. Of course such steel must be more advanced.

Good example is a new generation of GM crossovers. They are using same build points but packaging is improved. So it can be done.

BTW. Try a Maserati Ghibli if you can.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Current Charger is 120.2" wheelbase, 75.0" wide, 198.4" long. Current Challenger is shortened 116.2" wheelbase, 75.7" wide, 197.9" long.

I've read major, major overhaul of current platform or a move to Giulia platform creating a whole new monster. I'm clueless.

EPA tells me Dart is C segment and Guilia is D. Charger is E.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
much of the length in the front is to give the car the proper proportions on the Challenger,

·
Premium Member
3,323 Posts
Quick question. I just saw a comparison of the 300M and 300C. The interior volume of the LH cars was truly impressive. Did it primarily shrink in the LXs in order to allow room for V8s and the RWD setup?

I know a lot are asking for smaller and lighter cars that are more track focused. But I hope that common sense prevails. It seems silly to give up practicality in order to gain a few ranks on some C&D or MotorTrend list. Everyday driving usually does not happen on the Nurburgring nor on Willow Springs. I am not saying it shouldn’t be performance tuned but hope everyday use case still remains in focus...

Reactions: MoparJoe

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Reports have been consistent the interior dimensions are going to stay as close to the same as possible while the exterior will shrink. Feedback from buyers is the interior space is a major driver in the purchasing decision. I think the Camaro's sales woes due to the lack of interior room are well documented enough to squash any attempt to overly squeeze the Charger/Challenger in size.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
from what i've surmised (I could certainly be wrong), the next charger will be more similar in size to the Ghibli while maintaining the current LX platform hard points. Does anyone know if the Ghibli is considered E segment sizewise?

Reactions: James A
41 - 60 of 97 Posts