Allpar Forums banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
EPA does interior volume to determine car size. My 1987 LaBaron coupe was midsize. The convertible version was compact. In the olden times, exterior dimensions were used to determine size. My first new Mopar was a midsize 1967 Plymouth Bevedere 2 door hard top. The convertible was midsize, too. That gem made me stuck on Mopar.

BTW. The midsize Belvedere was 200" long, 76.5" wide with a 116" wheelbase. Petty won 10 consecutive NASCAR races with this body. I was stuck on NASCAR. Today? I don't bother.

·
Registered
306 Posts
from what i've surmised (I could certainly be wrong), the next charger will be more similar in size to the Ghibli while maintaining the current LX platform hard points. Does anyone know if the Ghibli is considered E segment sizewise?
Ghibli is a D segment midsize car with a large exterior.

·
Super Moderator
37,275 Posts
More back head room perhaps?
EPA only considers total cubic feet of interior passenger and luggage space, not where the space is in each category or if it's even usable to the occupant. It appears the Ghibli scarifies luggage space for passenger space and ends up as a midsize car to the EPA (all measurements in cu ft, 119+ cu ft is large car):
Charger:105 passenger, 16 luggage (large car, 121 total)
300: 106 passenger 16 luggage (large car, 122 total)
Ghibli: 108 passenger, 10 luggage (midsize car, 118 total)
Giulia: 100 passenger, 12 luggage (midsize car. 112 total)
Challenger: 94 passenger, 16 luggage (midsize car, 110 total)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Yes, most articles outside of the insiders are nothing more than to WET the APPETITE per say. It is not 2020 but 2021 model year the next gen will come. The main reasoning of posting is to allow insiders to correct the articles and point out future lines/powertrains.

·
Super Moderator
6,947 Posts
Something has changed since march-april?

ResumeSpeed has said several times 2020 426 7.0L H.O

That would be quite disappointing and totally change plans I had for next year.
Looks like it has changed. Let's hope it changes back to a 2020 MY release.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
It changed ... they have some special things going to happen to keep them fresh before the 7.0L (426) comes out though ...

My prediction for the next gen convertibles is they will sell over 30,000 the 1st year ... IF PRODUCTION CAN HANDLE THAT MUCH ....
426 hemi shaker convert .... they will sell everyone they could make the 1st couple years ....

·
Registered
420 Posts
It changed ... they have some special things going to happen to keep them fresh before the 7.0L (426) comes out though ...
AWD Hellcat? :D

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Interesting evolution if the Magnum returned, after being replaced by the Challenger, to replace the 300, the car that kicked off the L series renaissance.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Good news/bad news

Good news is that the design team is working on the next generation Charger, Challenger, AND a "Magnum".
Bad news is that the "Magnum" may not make it to production.

That's all I have for now.
Hey Thom, do you know if the Magnum they are designing is a station wagon like the old one or a name being put on a CUV/SUV?

Reactions: HotCarNut

·
Registered
84 Posts

My prediction for the next gen convertibles is they will sell over 30,000 the 1st year ... IF PRODUCTION CAN HANDLE THAT MUCH ....
426 hemi shaker convert .... they will sell everyone they could make the 1st couple years ....
Resumespeed also mentioned a refresh before the next gen cars arrive.. has that also changed?
I’m also waiting to see if Black Eye makes it into production aswell.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger ScatPack (Stock); 2012 Fiat 500 Sport (Stock); 1948 Dodge Job Rated Pickup (Hot Rod)
109 Posts
Hey Thom, do you know if the Magnum they are designing is a station wagon like the old one or a name being put on a CUV/SUV?
I don't know anymore than what I stated above. I do hope to find out more though.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts