Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
In the states, it doesn't make as much sence to have a Diesel model as in other parts of the world. Prices are too far offset from gasoline, and to make up the difference you have to drive. A lot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
They are available here in Aus - not sure how they are selling as the V6 8 speed nearly matches the fuel economy of the diesel 5 speed. That may change once the 8 speed diesel comes on stream. Currently diesel is about 5-15 cents a litre over regular gas, but it is available at just about every gas station.

I think what has been missed in the article pointing to future use in the upcoming 200 - could this be a pointer to RWD/AWD insead of the current FWD? Is the V6 diesel suitable for a FWD Based 200?

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I would be surprised if it appeared in North America at this late of a point in the production of the car. The platform debuted in 2004 for the 2005 model year and is now nine years old, I would be very surprised if they choose to try to emissions-certify it for a non-truck vehicle without having many more years of manufacturing of that chassis.

·
Registered
491 Posts
TWX said:
I would be surprised if it appeared in North America at this late of a point in the production of the car. The platform debuted in 2004 for the 2005 model year and is now nine years old, I would be very surprised if they choose to try to emissions-certify it for a non-truck vehicle without having many more years of manufacturing of that chassis.
I agree. I think that the likely hood of a 300/Charger/Challenger diesels would likely come in the next generation versus this one with only a couple of years left.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I don't see why not in this body for the 300C. Thema isn't selling well (do to bad economy in Europe) and they might as well get their money's worth by offering it in the North american market. Mexico & Canada & USA.
I wonder if they will offer a strip down version of the 300 for taxi use then offer the VM3.0L with cng for fleet use?

I don't see the use of offering a SRT 300C diesel.
But if they are going to install it in the 200C then sure, I can see a SRT diesel. If they make it AWD.

To answer the first question, No I didn't see this coming. I was just hoping it would.
I want to see the 300C crd stomp all over the E350 blue tech 22 city, 25 average, 32 highway in mpg contest.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Buy the looks of things, I think Each Chrysler Brand should get a 3.0 Diesel option.... Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ram 1500. question is can they make enough for them to put in the cars? Ram getting the most Diesels over Jeep cause of its Image as Commercial/ personal Work truck?

·
Registered
530 Posts
69DartGTS said:
Buy the looks of things, I think Each Chrysler Brand should get a 3.0 Diesel option.... Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ram 1500. question is can they make enough for them to put in the cars? Ram getting the most Diesels over Jeep cause of its Image as Commercial/ personal Work truck?
I think that, capacity wise, it may be difficult to get enough engines.

I would think the 1500 would get more engines simply because they sell more 1500s than Grand Cherokees.

YTD Grand Cherokee sales - 33,133
YTD Ram P/U Sales - 77,594

Granted, Ram P/U sales include all "truck" models, but I would wager at least 65% of the sales would be 1500s.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Just a reminder from the engineers, you can't just drop a diesel in. You have to do crash testing as well as many other adjustments to the design to make it work for a new engine.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Sir Moses Wellington said:
Just a reminder from the engineers, you can't just drop a diesel in. You have to do crash testing as well as many other adjustments to the design to make it work for a new engine.
I would hope that from a crash perspective it's already good to go as it is sold that way overseas.

I just don't see the cost to emissions-certify as being that practical, unless they can work some regulatory magic and cite Euro tests and get the government to accept those existing test results.

·
Registered
278 Posts
VM 3.0 is an overkill for cars especially when paired with ZF 8 or 9 speed. And there is no way you will see it in the 2015 Chrysler 200.

Mercedes went from 3.0 V6 to 2.1L I4 for the 2014 E-class diesel.
BMW went from 3.0 V6 to 2.0L I4. (2012 335d --> 2014 328d)

IMO, they should put Fiat 2.0 biturbo diesel in 300, and Fiat 2.0 turbo in 200.
2.0 biturbo 200HP, 320 lb ft
2.0 turbo 170HP, 265 lb ft

But I guess they won't rush any more diesels. They will wait to see what happens with a Promaster, Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee.

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
In the article, I pointed out that emissions certification and crash testing would have to be done (obviously gas mileage testing too). Yes, the 3.0 is overkill, but that's what it has in the EU, right? Or does it have the four cylinder VM 2.x?

Promaster has a four cylinder 3-liter... presumably much cheaper to make.

Thing is, they already make the car that way for EUrope, so much of the cost is done -- just various test and certifications for the US.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Bran said:
VM 3.0 is an overkill for cars especially when paired with ZF 8 or 9 speed. And there is no way you will see it in the 2015 Chrysler 200.

But I guess they won't rush any more diesels. They will wait to see what happens with a Promaster, Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee.
Putting a 3.0L Diesel in a 200, while neat, would probably be overkill.

Hemis are overkill in cars, but they still put them in there. If they put the bare minimum in a vehicle, we'd never have any fun. The 2.0L Fiat Diesel may not be US emissions compliant in its current state, and the 3.0L is already designed to fit inside the 300. Of course, this may change with the future 300 and Charger. The 3.0 would be a lot of fun in a 300 or a Charger. It would return even better highway and city mileage than the 3.6L gas with more torque.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sir Moses Wellington said:
In the states, it doesn't make as much sence to have a Diesel model as in other parts of the world. Prices are too far offset from gasoline, and to make up the difference you have to drive. A lot.
Looking over the AAA Daily Fuel Gauge Report I see quite a difference on the cost of diesel vs gasoline in various states. I imagine the difference is mostly due to tax levels. A few places list diesel as near premium gas prices, but here in CT it is quite a bit higher. IMO CT taxes diesel fuel like all diesel vehicles are heavy trucks, very unfair to diesel automobile owners.

·
2,570 Posts
Poor Wrangler, always the bridesmaid never the bride.

·
Registered
278 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
In the article, I pointed out that emissions certification and crash testing would have to be done (obviously gas mileage testing too). Yes, the 3.0 is overkill, but that's what it has in the EU, right? Or does it have the four cylinder VM 2.x?

Promaster has a four cylinder 3-liter... presumably much cheaper to make.

Thing is, they already make the car that way for EUrope, so much of the cost is done -- just various test and certifications for the US.
I know that they have VM 3.0 diesel in EU/Australia, but it's not a good seller. The bulk of sales are 2.0L engines. All of the competitors have 2 power levels of those engines.

LX refresh is planned for the next year. They didn't pair 3.0 and 8-speed, yet. I wouldn't rule out 2.0 for USA, and 2.0 and 3.0 for EU/Aus.
SouthPawXJ said:
Hemis are overkill in cars, but they still put them in there. If they put the bare minimum in a vehicle, we'd never have any fun. The 2.0L Fiat Diesel may not be US emissions compliant in its current state, and the 3.0L is already designed to fit inside the 300. Of course, this may change with the future 300 and Charger. The 3.0 would be a lot of fun in a 300 or a Charger. It would return even better highway and city mileage than the 3.6L gas with more torque.
Let me make myself clear, it's an overkill for a role of the most fuel-efficient motor. If you want power get a Hemi, if you want more power get an SRT.

I guess that 335d was lot of fun, but it didn't sell. So BMW brought 328d. It seems like BMW thinks that consumer want little less power and little bit more fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
69DartGTS said:
Durango was suppose to at one time also.
VM3.0L crd sales would relieve the demand for the 3.6L, even if it's 10-15%.
I'd still like to see a Diesel state patrol car.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Bran said:

I forgot that the E250 bluetec is replacing the E350 bluetec.
I thought it was an addition to the market.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Bran said:

BMW went from 3.0 I6 to 2.0L I4. (2012 335d --> 2014 328d)

Fixed
Should be BMW 3.0L I6

1 - 20 of 21 Posts