Allpar Forums banner

The Crossfire

2572 Views 14 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  marksterlinghampton

Did any of you like the, or own a Crossfire?

Vehicle registration plate Tire Vehicle Grille Hood

Vehicle Gear shift Car Speedometer Window

One of my most recent projects that has received many views and likes was a Crossfire successor based on the DS4. Do you think a sleek compact crossover would be a good Crossfire?

Also, is the DS4 smaller or the same size as the new Airflow? Because I thought the design as a good fit, but it's meant to be smaller than the Airflow.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
They were rare. I actually saw one & sat in it at the showroom of a dealership. It was cool but my head was darn near hitting the ceiling and I am about 5'11". I was hoping the seat would go lower. I myself, would like to see something like a compact crossover. Actually, anything in a 2 door version would be nice. Too damn many of everything else these days. 馃お

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Had a Crossfire SRT6 for a short time in 2008. Was a lot of fun, attractive, and solid...but impractical for a family of 4, so I sold it. Received lots of compliments, but it would have been better if it had a manual transmission.
Would be great to revive the name (it is a cool name), but only in the right vehicle.
View attachment 86648
Wow! That's nice! The DS4 has the same sort of look to the original! I think a revival should stay very close to what it's always been, but slightly stretched to a four door, and comfortably seat 5 people. If done right, I think it would have a huge following!

Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
It was the first true DaimlerChrysler exercise. Sales were poor I think that people that could afford a Crossfire bought the SLK instead.

Sky Font Magenta Brand Darkness

Daimler support in the service dept. was poor. Diagnostics & special tools were very different than our other Daimler: the Sprinter. I was not impressed with the quality of either one.
It was if Daimler wanted them to fail.
As a coupe with big doors, I found it unwieldy. In the end, we could barely give the Crossfires away.

I liked the styling and mechanicals of the Firepower concept better:

Reactions: DC-93

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was the first true DaimlerChrysler exercise. Sales were poor I think that people that could afford a Crossfire bought the SLK instead.

View attachment 86652

Daimler support in the service dept. was poor. Diagnostics & special tools were very different than our other Daimler: the Sprinter.
As a coupe with big doors, I found it unwieldy. In the end, we could barely give the Crossfires away.

I liked the styling and mechanicals of the Firepower concept better:
It would be insane, but it would draw people to Chrysler dealerships if they did try again with the Firepower today, or the ME 412. A new halo coupe would help Chrysler's image today greatly! That or the Imperial. Not meant to sell in large numbers, but low volume American status symbols.

Virginia Gentleman
They were rare. I actually saw one & sat in it at the showroom of a dealership. It was cool but my head was darn near hitting the ceiling and I am about 5'11". I was hoping the seat would go lower. I myself, would like to see something like a compact crossover. Actually, anything in a 2 door version would be nice. Too damn many of everything else these days. 馃お
I sat in one as well. I'm 6' 00" and my head was even closer to the ceiling. Felt to cramped.

Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
Maybe after the Challenger? We don't need 2 halo coupes.
I do admit that Chrysler brand needs a flagship.

Registered
I was going to buy one as a daily driver (after my '84 Rampage was stolen...who steals an '84 Rampage?), but then I sat in it. I'm 6'4" and there was just no way I was going to fit in it. Ended up with my SRT-4 instead and I'm glad I did.
There is a white Crossfire (non SRT) locally, someone working at the local grocery store. Still a good looking car, just too cramped inside (my Neon has tons of room, just wish it came in a 2-door).

Registered
My parents still have there 04 - bought it at a fire- sale price in 05 for 14K off brand new . I worked at Chrysler at the time and got them the discount. They have just the automatic . SRT-6 didn't come out until 05 and those were a solid 15K more than the non SRT-6 anyways . Been a fun car but not great reliability wise. The engine started knocking at 17K and was replaced. Heated seats have been intermittent and general check engine lights that seem to go on and off whenever they please. Been overall easy to work on as I do most of the maintenance on it and the cost of the maintenance parts when needed haven't been bad. The key is to skip the Chrysler dealer and go right for Mercedes. Fun for there needs as a summer car to drive to the lake and such. It isn't easy to get in and out of, I can agree with that and the seats are hard on a long road trip so for them, 200 miles is about the max it drives from home. They were looking for a Miata at the time and this deal was too good to pass up. The car still gets a lot of compliments and at this point many people have no idea what it is brand-wise.

Registered
I bought one back in Dec 22 and it's the Roadster Limited, handling and fast, small yes but I love that fact and from what I have seen so far easy to work on, with 113k on the clock, I am going over all of the maintenance done and what has not been done and getting it done before Spring. New Shocks and rear brakes are next, really haven't checked the bushings yet but hey might as well as I plan on keeping this one for a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts