Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
The NEW Chrysler's Armchair CEO
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What could the Stellantis N.A. line up look like in several years and what vehicles / segments do they need produce that are currently hot?

Jeep would be positioned as a lifestyle / luxury / off-road / adventure brand
Dodge would be positioned as muscle / towing / rural / fast / middle-market brand
Ram would be positioned as trucks and commercial brand

Today Chrysler has been positioned as the people mover brand that has the Pacifica (mini-van) and 300 (the 2020s current version of a Town Car). The brand has lost all sense of its past self and could be merged into Dodge which still has has an image / street cred.

Jeep
Renegade
- entry level rugged vehicle

Compass - entry level luxury

Cherokee - positioned as a poor man's Land Rover Defender that doesn't have the on road issues that comes with the Wrangler

Grand Cherokee

Grand Cherokee L

Wagoneer

Wagoneer L

Grand Wagoneer

Grand Wagoneer L

Wrangler

Wrangler Unlimited

Gladiator

·
The NEW Chrysler's Armchair CEO
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Dodge
Barracuda
- Love the name and to keep with the image that Dodge wants to project they need some entry level vehicle that would resemble the Razor or Circuit EV concepts

OR

Charger

Challenger

Viper
- high end performance should be brought back that isn't just a Hellcat in a Charger

Hornet
- Dodge needs a C-Class level entry SUV that could share under pinning's with the Ram 750

Magnum
- Dodge's mid-size SUV that resembles Dodge's first gen Durango. Share under pinning's with the Ram Dakota aka 1000. Towing and family hauling would be the focus of this vehicle.

Durango
- A cheaper version of the Wagoneer and share under pinning's with the Ram 1500

Caravan
- Move the Voyager back under Dodge and rebrand as the Caravan

Grand Caravan
- Move the Pacifica back under Dodge and rebrand as the Grand Caravan

Ram
- Ram need's a Maverick competitor. Gen Z / Millennials are more interested in Lifestyle vehicles so this would be an entry vehicle for Stellantis. Share's components with the Dodge Hornet.

1000 - Ram's mid-size SUV. A traditional mid-size truck vs the Jeep Gladiator

Promaster City

Promaster

This is a fine portfolio that focuses on the hotter segments that today's buyers are interested in and can be profitable (no B-class sedan for example).

Thoughts...what vehicle and line up do you want to see over the next 3-5 years?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Christina Fuelle (may be misspelled) has told us what Chrysler will be in a few years. It's supposed to be the premium blue collar luxury brand that focuses on performance and comfort. Check her video out. Fiat screwed Chrysler just as bad as Diamler and was doing nothing with that brand. Dodge really is no better just because they have an SUV that doesn't sell well. They both could be on the chopping block. We have to give her the time needed so something isn't rushed out like the Dart and 200 with transmission issues and wrong sized engines. I'm waiting and will be buying their next full sizer.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I absolutely HATE titles like this. It perpetuates a false narrative that people start to expect is true. Chrysler is NOT dead. We don't need titles and articles after articles stating this. The more people see it, the more they believe it as truth, especially people who don't follow automotive news.

Besides that, nice work on all the effort for this topic. You did a nice job. While I don't agree with the Ram products or the removal of Chrysler, I can appreciate your work here.

But we already have a topic for exactly this right HERE. Might want to copy and paste your topic here over there. :) This shouldn't be in the 'News board' when it's speculation and wishes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Enthusiasts want excitement, but , frankly, most people don't want exciting cars. They want a toaster, that is, they want an appliance that always works and they don't have to think about. Get in, turn the key, and go. That was the model that Toyota rode to success. There is a whole stable of PSA cars that are applicable to North America, just don't call them by their PSA names. The most sold car in Europe is the Peugeot 208, a supermini city car. A Peugeot 208e has a place in America, but call it a Dodge Omni or something like that. I like the Peugeot/Citroen Rifter/Berlingo. It's like what my old small on the outside, big on the inside 1993 Dodge Caravan 5-speed was. Drove like a car, hauled like a truck. The Chrysler-Fiat part of Stellantis has to come into the 21st century. That's what the merger was all about. It can't continue being nothing but trucks and Jeeps.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
There was nothing really wrong with the Dart or 200. They sold fairly well, just not with a sufficient profit margin. They sold 177k units of the 200 in 2015 before they announced they will axe the models.
Yes......But...
It should be noted that a really big chunk of those sales went to folks with less than.... (please forgive the awful pun..) "stellar credit".
And...the former FCA shoveled ca$h on the hoods of many more.

P.S. I forgot about the boatloads of darts and 200's that ended up as rental and fleet queens.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, I wish in B C D segments Stellantis pair Citroën with Chrysler and Opel with Dodge.

I really see Citroën C5X as Chrysler. Just put Airflow Concept fascia in the front and will work wonders. Same C4X. Could be two good cars. Euro/USD weakness could help at start, no need of building them in States immediately (high gamble in a segment were 200 failed) and a good way of giving product immediately to dealerships.

New Opel Astra could be a good Dodge. Dodge used that design language in the 70's. Next Opel Manta (Peugeot 408 crossover size 4,7m) also could be a Dodge.

Just make custom Dodge's and Chrysler's in high profitable E and F segment, minivans. Pacifica, 300C, Charger, Durango, Challenger.

I think it's the way to go.

Dealerships chamber should press Tavares and Stellantis North America to follow that path. Share cars Citroën/Chrysler, Opel/Dodge in B, C, D, and keep producing in States the big boys (in Europe legacy manufacturers don't sell 100,000 units of E and F, not even VW group). Maybe D could be produced in USA too but after 200 failure is a risky bet.

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,763 Posts
Hi, I wish in B C D segments Stellantis pair Citroën with Chrysler and Opel with Dodge.

I really see Citroën C5X as Chrysler. Just put Airflow Concept fascia in the front and will work wonders. Same C4X. Could be two good cars. Euro/USD weakness could help at start, no need of building them in States immediately (high gamble in a segment were 200 failed) and a good way of giving product immediately to dealerships.

New Opel Astra could be a good Dodge. Dodge used that design language in the 70's. Next Opel Manta (Peugeot 408 crossover size 4,7m) also could be a Dodge.

Just make custom Dodge's and Chrysler's in high profitable E and F segment, minivans. Pacifica, 300C, Charger, Durango, Challenger.

Dealerships chamber should press Tavares and Stellantis North America to follow that path. Share cars Citroën/Chrysler, Opel/Dodge in B, C, D, and keep producing in States the big boys (in Europe legacy manufacturers don't sell 100,000 units of E and F, not even VW group). Maybe D could be produced in USA too but after 200 failure is a risky bet.
I disagree 1000%.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Without compact, midsize, and compact crossover products (Jeep is doing badly now with Compass and Cherokee) Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep are losing at least 500,000 units per year. Hope they do something (yeah I know Dodge Tonale is coming) fast because large cars lineup (300C, Charger/Durango) are already old too.

What they did with Jeep is not wise. Now many people think Jeep is not as reliable as other brands. At least with Cherokee.

·
Registered
598 Posts

It seems like the stuff based off Fiat doesn't sell well here. Yes the 200 started off well but they would have to do a lot more than a little nip and tuck. French cars already have a bad perception so I'm not sure if that would work.

·
Registered
15,850 Posts
There will be no importing of PSA vehicles. That has been clearly ruled out.

The future is STLA Small, Medium and Large shared platform that can be ICE, PHEV or BEV with distinct styling.

Everyone needs to stop thinking like it is the 1980s and badge engineering is the answer to all our problems.

·
Registered
15,850 Posts
It seems like the stuff based off Fiat doesn't sell well here. Yes the 200 started off well but they would have to do a lot more than a little nip and tuck. French cars already have a bad perception so I'm not sure if that would work.
It is less about the Fiat platforms and more about the lack of quality, reliability, safety and customer service. Had FCA addressed those areas instead of squeezing suppliers and cutting corners to attain higher margins, they would be in a totally different position today.

Now, Stellantis needs to not just create compelling, all-new vehicles....but they need to ensure they have great quality, reliability, safety and serviced by dealers delivering superior customer service.

It is a monumental task ahead of them. The same old, same old is not going to cut it.

·
Super Moderator
40,805 Posts
A Peugeot with a Dodge or Chrysler badge isn't going to work any better than a Dodge or Chrysler (or even a Jeep) badge on a Fiat product or - to go back in time - the same badges on a Mitsubishi product. Those were just niche product.To take a European or Japanese "platform" or product and make it suitable for the North America mass market isn't as easy or inexpensive as many think.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,448 Posts
There will be no importing of PSA vehicles. That has been clearly ruled out.

The future is STLA Small, Medium and Large shared platform that can be ICE, PHEV or BEV with distinct styling.

Everyone needs to stop thinking like it is the 1980s and badge engineering is the answer to all our problems.
Platform sharing, not badge engineering. Wouldn't that better describe things? Each area of selling has its own needs. These need great flexibility built in. Any old LH engineers still out there? The may need help on the flexibility front.

·
Registered
598 Posts
It is less about the Fiat platforms and more about the lack of quality, reliability, safety and customer service. Had FCA addressed those areas instead of squeezing suppliers and cutting corners to attain higher margins, they would be in a totally different position today.

Now, Stellantis needs to not just create compelling, all-new vehicles....but they need to ensure they have great quality, reliability, safety and serviced by dealers delivering superior customer service.

It is a monumental task ahead of them. The same old, same old is not going to cut it.
All of what you have mentioned has been an issue with Chrysler for years. Even the Diamler stuff didn't sell well. Christine needs to start from scratch. Idk if all electric will work but rebadging won't. Critics will just call it a Peugeot or DS or whatever brand that is sold in Europe.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
The big question is can Chrysler hold on long enough with current product until new product comes along? It's already been asked to hold on longer than it should. The current economy throws a huge wrench into the works. How much money does Stellantis have to push Chrysler's way? How long will that money last? If it becomes a crunch between cash and calendar what might Stellantis do?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts