Allpar Forums banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
At under $500, it's eminently reasonable... and they wouldn't even have to charge rent for the space, though they probably would.
$500 would be cost of charger only. Wiring it can be $100 to $2000 based on how far and what has to be torn up. You might have to cut concrete or asphalt to get wires underground. Most cities will require permits and inspections. After installation, costs should be low. Currently most vehicles have a commuter level battery. Breakthroughs have been promised but promises are cheap. It will come if they get mainstream level.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
A basement car-park won't need city approvals, and wiring can be routed in metal conduits, as it is for lighting. Level 2 only needs 220 volt AC, which is easily installed by any certified domestic electrician.

Most outdoor car parks already have service ducting and an electrical supply for lighting - assuming two phases are brought to the site (probably, but I have no clue about US electrical installation practices), there would be 220 volts that could easily be tapped for charging without needing a wholesale dig-up. Some UK municipalities built L2 chargers into their streetlamp poles in residential areas, and while that was not a great solution for residential streets (trailing charging cables on the sidewalk), but in a grocery-store car-park, it would work well.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Grocery stores will start to add these too... Everyone's fixated on being able to fully charge the car in five minutes, without thinking of how often they're away from their car, and it could be left to charge at a lower rate while they do something else. 40 minutes at Level 2 covers the juice you used to get to the store and back home.

When employee parking lots add extensive L2 charging, the argument about where to charge is effectively over.

In bulk, level 2 charging points would cost less than $500 a bay. CCS2 fast-charge hardware runs to about $50k for two bays (that Tesla figure is likely out of date.. they're probably paying some price penalty for being non standard, but no way is it double)
Fast charger is not good for battery life.

It's recommended to charge it slowly at household.

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
While everyone is contemplating how best to charge up their EV, I will be driving the biggest gas guzzler I can find and laughing at them as they plug in their EV. I will tell them people like me are offsetting their carbon neutrality.
In reality they will be the polluters of planet earth, and causing global warming to run amok with their need for electricity.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
While everyone is contemplating how best to charge up their EV, I will be driving the biggest gas guzzler I can find...
I could never do such a thing. I don't like driving a Ford truck. It's bad enough I have to drive one once and a while at work, but otherwise I would never intentionally choose one.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I could never do such a thing. I don't like driving a Ford truck. It's bad enough I have to drive one once and a while at work, but otherwise I would never intentionally choose one.
Ford should bring back the Excursion with the 6.8 liter V10. Maybe I will look for a used one.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
While everyone is contemplating how best to charge up their EV, I will be driving the biggest gas guzzler I can find and laughing at them as they plug in their EV. I will tell them people like me are offsetting their carbon neutrality.
In reality they will be the polluters of planet earth, and causing global warming to run amok with their need for electricity.
Sounds like somebody's been reading too many B.S. "studies" paid for by "Big Oil" and/or people heavily invested in it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
Sounds like somebody's been reading too many B.S. "studies" paid for by "Big Oil" and/or people heavily invested in it.
Well my favorite movie character of all time is Adam Steiffel in The Formula. The entire world economy depends on the free flow and distribution of oil at market prices.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Well my favorite movie character of all time is Adam Steiffel in The Formula. The entire world economy depends on the free flow and distribution of oil at market prices.
Even the Saudis know that won't last forever.

Reactions: voiceofstl

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
will you be laughing at $10 a gallon?

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
Just like everything else the first ones in are the people with $$$. As demand increases prices will come down. Was a time people questioned paying $4K for a TV, now performance like that costs a little over a grand. Want to move my 3 year old 70" TV and to the garage and get the latest wiz bang version. Really don't want to get much larger, 12' from the screen is comfortable, not sure larger is better.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
Drove a Ford work truck for 5 years.

Left me stranded 17 times.

Terrible quality.
Not Ford fan yet but I a company supplied pickup for 6 years, would not give it up even offered brand new. If it ain't broke, don't get rid of it. Had company supplied vehicles from 1968 to 2014, No Mopars. Would have liked a few but in NY area Chevy and Ford were company choices. Worst were the GM products, early Fords were brutal on NYC streets but ran. Often wished engineers drove their vehicles there. Never got stranded but limped home a bunch. Last day on the job helped a guy with a brand new Ford with a busted steering knuckle get to a dealership.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I was a bit lazy to read all the posts in this thread but I couldn't resist to the temptation of wondering if they want to get rid of gas cars, what about cars and trucks working with propane, natural gas or even alcohol?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Reactions: Tony K

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
Let me get your logic straight. Electric cars use some power from coal and whatever, so they are not a complete cure for climate change. To protest this, you will be adding as much carbon dioxide to the air as you can. Is that your logic?

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
I was a bit lazy to read all the posts in this thread but I couldn't resist to the temptation of wondering if they want to get rid of gas cars, what about cars and trucks working with propane, natural gas or even alcohol?
The goal is to stop having new gasoline and diesel powered vehicles on the road. I suspect propane, natural gas, and alcohol cars are such a small niche they effectively don't matter, except in Brazil. Also, since alcohol is renewable depending on how it's made, you could argue alcohol cars could continue indefinitely.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Why do the car companies want this? They should be lobbying like crazy to stop this but instead they insist that they will do this even if the government and the people don’t want it. What is going on here?
Now instead of your car being junk in 10-15 years they can make the EV batteries cost so much to replace people will be forced to trade in every 5 years and you'll be happy to do it because it will come with a new gimmick that automatically wipes your butt and comes in a new shade of blue for your $75,000.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts