Allpar Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,252 Posts
Yes. 100% yes.

Gasoline cars have soul because every automaker has their own engine, with their own design, their own firing order on the cylinders, their own sound and feel, they all make a unique product. Ford, Chevy, Dodge all coming at it from their own unique angle. That's THE thing that created the hype back in the 60s (and even before that)...can that guy's car outrun my car? What does HE have under the hood? The element of surprise. The element of individual personality.

When you go electric, everything has the same guts. Same type of battery, same type of motor, same everything. The only differences are how much voltage do you throw at those motors? It's going to be a boring life and it will zap (no pun intended) the soul and personality out of all these cars. Oh sure, they can augment the sound. They can change the shape of the body. But at the end of the day and EV is an EV.

Very sad day. We are the ones who got to witness the government take control of what people are allowed to have.
Like the iconic sound of a Harley because of the design of the engine.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,508 Posts
When you go electric, everything has the same guts. Same type of battery, same type of motor, same everything. The only differences are how much voltage do you throw at those motors?
I would argue the same for gasoline motors. They all run the same type of fuel, gasoline. They all run the same type of motor, internal combustion. The only differences are how you throw the fuel in and spark it?

I don't see why you want no electric cars at all. That's like saying you want to ban Corollas and Camrys.

·
Registered
2011 Challenger R/T Classic
1,086 Posts
I still just can't believe that Dodge would immediately pull the plug on their most profitable cars, especially with Ford about to launch the S650 Mustang with a real V8 powertrain as a 2024 model and the strong possibility of an administration (and regulation) change the same year. I know the Mopar brands have been subjected to some terrible business decisions over the years but drawing a hard line and cutting off the Hemi V8 cars in 2023 seems very odd. Dodge and Jeep in particular have shown in recent years that they love to compete and stay ahead of the competition and this assumed decision seems like the exact opposite of that.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,075 Posts
It doesn't seem so odd if the plant isn't going to produce that product anymore after 2023. As far as Ford is concerned, this isn't the first time Mopar has dumped V8s for turbo engines while GM and Ford didn't. This crap about emissions doesn't hold up IMHO either. I believe it has to do with cost pure and simple. This "great" six can be produced on any line that makes the 4 cyl engine, so in the end their costs will be less. If they stay in heavier duty trucks, they might keep a Hemi, or they will ignore that market like they did in the 80s once again. I wouldn't put it past them using it in the 2500-5500 trucks either.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I still just can't believe that Dodge would immediately pull the plug on their most profitable cars, especially with Ford about to launch the S650 Mustang with a real V8 powertrain as a 2024 model and the strong possibility of an administration (and regulation) change the same year. I know the Mopar brands have been subjected to some terrible business decisions over the years but drawing a hard line and cutting off the Hemi V8 cars in 2023 seems very odd. Dodge and Jeep in particular have shown in recent years that they love to compete and stay ahead of the competition and this assumed decision seems like the exact opposite of that.
Could be any of a host of reasons to discontinue the Hellcat. Upcoming government rules or mandates, fuel efficiency restrictions, material or contractual changes with an outside supplier, changes in manufacturing plans or processes, outright replacement with something else (better?). If they know there is an absolute end date for a hot product, may as well announce it and drive demand up even further.

Reactions: tlc

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
What else would replace a Hellcat? Not a six cylinder that's for sure. An electric car? It'd better be one hell of a car then.

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,184 Posts
What else would replace a Hellcat? Not a six cylinder that's for sure. An electric car? It'd better be one hell of a car then.
I think the days of 700+ hp V8's are numbered. Oh, you'll still be able to get a V8, just not one with excessive hp and even then, you'll have to pay a premium.

Agree with you on a 'electric' replacement.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Everyone has been saying that the Hemi going away has to do in part because of regulations. Well that obviously not true because Ford is still doing development on V8s in the future. So one would tend to believe then, it's spin for their illustrious six cylinder dream mill and the heck with the Hemi.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts