Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. I dont see Chrysler dumping the 6.7 for the less powerful 5.0

·
Registered
560 Posts
I see no marketing reason to change to the V8. The I6 engine is absolute king of the hill in hauling and towing prowess and reliability. No shared crank journals, more main bearings and superior rod design. Once you own one, you understand!
BTW, it's "Compacted graphite/iron, not "compact. Writer might not be a gear head.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
too bad Ram doesn't do a heavy half ton, drop in the cummins v8 and hook it up to the 8hp90! :excited:

·
Registered
681 Posts
I did a design study in 2008 to install the 5L in the 2500, I won't say it can't be done but it won't be cheap.

·
Registered
259 Posts
A lot of people think that eventually Ram will have to move away from the comparatively low r.p.m. in-line 6 ISB for emissions and vehicle packaging/weight issues. If true, that could open the door for an engine like the 5.0L V-8 Cummins, but I think if it ever does come to pass it would happen at the time of a complete Ram redesign. That having been said, one would think there would be a strong likelihood any future diesels for the Ram would be sourced from VM or Iveco.

I am not very optimistic about the long-term future of diesel, even though there seems to be a renewed interest in them at present.

·
Registered
259 Posts
There seems to be an individual(s) that posts a lot on various diesel engine and truck forums extolling the virtues of compacted graphite/iron engine blocks. Nothing wrong with that, CGI is great stuff. However, sometimes the posts have the appearance of being news. A common topic is the replacement of diesels with conventional iron blocks like the ISB Cummins and 6.6L Duramax with new engines featuring CGI blocks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
CNT900 said:
That having been said, one would think there would be a strong likelihood any future diesels for the Ram would be sourced from VM or Iveco.
and that whooshing sound you hear is tens of thousands of current Ram owners following Cummins to the manufacturer who swoops in and puts the big C on their fender.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
JTE said:
I did a design study in 2008 to install the 5L in the 2500, I won't say it can't be done but it won't be cheap.
So you're the culprit!!!

(Just kidding)
kscumminsdriver said:
and that whooshing sound you hear is tens of thousands of current Ram owners following Cummins to the manufacturer who swoops in and puts the big C on their fender.
Frankly I fail to see that there will be any "whoosh" to Nissan, even with the Cummins.
It's the gold standard diesel, but it's in a disposable truck.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Back in 1989, there was no question in my mind at the time that the Cummins ISB was the only thing selling Ram 250's and 350's. Now, I think the current Ram HD's are good enough to sell on the merits of the truck itself, not just the engine. But it goes without saying if they do change diesels, it better be a good one.

Nothing wrong with Cummins, but I was always a Detroit Diesel man.

T

·
0 Posts
Nissan is doing the 5.0 to sell trucks because of the Cummins name. I know the torque numbers will be good, but I don't imagine it will have great mpg numbers. A Ram 1500 Diesel wont have the torque with the VM, but it will run rings around the Nissan mileage wise. There will be comparisons for sure, but they are really are going after different customers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Frankly I fail to see that there will be any "whoosh" to Nissan, even with the Cummins.
Read what I was responding to again... the future/speculated/mythical situation where Ram dumps Cummins in the HD trucks and goes to an in-house diesel...

·
Registered
530 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Keep in mind though: the Cummins is not coming until the next generation Titan in CY2015. While Mr. Diaz is not directly involved with the new trucks, you can bet he will probably still have an influence on the Titan. It's "put up or shut up" time at Nissan with regards to the Titan, and I'm gonna bet they're going to bring to market a very nice truck.

Ram better be ready.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Trailduster45 said:
Nissan is doing the 5.0 to sell trucks because of the Cummins name. I know the torque numbers will be good, but I don't imagine it will have great mpg numbers. A Ram 1500 Diesel wont have the torque with the VM, but it will run rings around the Nissan mileage wise. There will be comparisons for sure, but they are really are going after different customers. I will
I am curious if Nissan is planning anything bigger than a 1/2 ton. If not, then I'd say Dodge isn't losing much. The 1/2 ton truck market is quite different than the 3/4 or 1 ton truck market. Accordingly, the Diesel engine in the 1500 reflects that. As having the 5.0 cummins in that truck, it would not likely be used to it's potential. It'd be bragging rights in the "light truck".

As for the 5.0 in the heavy duties, I think it would be great to see it as an additional option. Offer 2 diesels, I think that'd look great. In terms of the benefits, I'd argue it'd keep heavy duty buyers on the lots for longer. They could get the commonly sought 6.7 ISB. Or, if they don't need something THAT heavy duty, a smaller, cheaper and likely more fuel efficient 5.0. I think it would secure them more customers. However, the heavy duty market isn't particularly big, so the obious question - would the investment really pay off?

·
Registered
694 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Many still look at the Ram as a disposable truck. Not personally saying it is (I've owned 8 thus far), but many view it that way.

CNT900 said:
Back in 1989, there was no question in my mind at the time that the Cummins ISB was the only thing selling Ram 250's and 350's. Now, I think the current Ram HD's are good enough to sell on the merits of the truck itself, not just the engine. But it goes without saying if they do change diesels, it better be a good one.

Nothing wrong with Cummins, but I was always a Detroit Diesel man.
No doubt the new Trucks are beautiful trucks, but the fact remains that many still buy it simply because of the engine. The only way to pull Ford & GM guys over is for the Cummins.

Trailduster45 said:
Nissan is doing the 5.0 to sell trucks because of the Cummins name. I know the torque numbers will be good, but I don't imagine it will have great mpg numbers. A Ram 1500 Diesel wont have the torque with the VM, but it will run rings around the Nissan mileage wise. There will be comparisons for sure, but they are really are going after different customers.
That is some big speculation there. Especially considering the larger 7.3 Powerstroke V8 had similar numbers, less efficient injection system, etc. yet would still pull nearly 20mpg out of a 3/4 & 1 ton truck. I'd imagine this new Cummins to push that little truck to some high MPG numbers while outpowering the VM motor.

Just look at how the new Jeep is performing, its not the MPG king many said it would be (not saying just this forum)
bumonbox said:
I am curious if Nissan is planning anything bigger than a 1/2 ton. If not, then I'd say Dodge isn't losing much. The 1/2 ton truck market is quite different than the 3/4 or 1 ton truck market. Accordingly, the Diesel engine in the 1500 reflects that. As having the 5.0 cummins in that truck, it would not likely be used to it's potential. It'd be bragging rights in the "light truck".

As for the 5.0 in the heavy duties, I think it would be great to see it as an additional option. Offer 2 diesels, I think that'd look great. In terms of the benefits, I'd argue it'd keep heavy duty buyers on the lots for longer. They could get the commonly sought 6.7 ISB. Or, if they don't need something THAT heavy duty, a smaller, cheaper and likely more fuel efficient 5.0. I think it would secure them more customers. However, the heavy duty market isn't particularly big, so the obious question - would the investment really pay off?
I have a feeling that Nissan will enter the 3/4 & 1 ton Market. They need a big "Splash" to get there name back out there in the pickup segment. Toyota missed the boat and I think Nissan is going to jump in with both feet. They already are selling 3/4 ton versions of their cargo vans in the US, so the hardware is already there.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
bikeluver43 said:
Many still look at the Ram as a disposable truck. Not personally saying it is (I've owned 8 thus far), but many view it that way.

No doubt the new Trucks are beautiful trucks, but the fact remains that many still buy it simply because of the engine. The only way to pull Ford & GM guys over is for the Cummins.

Just look at how the new Jeep is performing, its not the MPG king many said it would be (not saying just this forum)
That was the knock, nearly 30 years ago, when the Cummins first went into the Dodge pickup. However it hasn't been true since 1993, 20 years of Dependable Dodge and Ram pickups, makes the consumers who think Rams are disposable, wrong.
Ram is winning nearly every award, the trucks are beautiful and sales are climbing.

Ford diesels are troublesome, and fragile, with a plethora of issues. GM engines are better, but Asian imports. Touting the Penske, Detroit Diesel/Cummins connection for the VM, would bolster its reputation, to those who are still,unaware of who VM is.

What have you heard about the Jeep diesel??? It's not out yet and projected mpg is 28+ mpg. It's premature to pan it's mpg, when it's unknown.
I'd be interested in what you have heard?

·
Registered
694 Posts
MoparNorm said:
That was the knock, nearly 30 years ago, when the Cummins first went into the Dodge pickup. However it hasn't been true since 1993, 20 years of Dependable Dodge and Ram pickups, makes the consumers who think Rams are disposable, wrong.
Ram is winning nearly every award, the trucks are beautiful and sales are climbing.

Ford diesels are troublesome, and fragile, with a plethora of issues. GM engines are better, but Asian imports. Touting the Penske, Detroit Diesel/Cummins connection for the VM, would bolster its reputation, to those who are still,unaware of who VM is.

What have you heard about the Jeep diesel??? It's not out yet and projected mpg is 28+ mpg. It's premature to pan it's mpg, when it's unknown.
I'd be interested in what you have heard?
Regardless of if they are wrong or not, its still a stigma that is on Ram trucks. The 46/47/48RE transmissions gave Ram a black eye that its still trying to overcome. I hear all that time that the Cummins is an excellent engine in a crappy wrapper, or that the new Rams are nice but Dodge/Chrysler has transmission issues - this is nothing new, you see it in nearly every comment section regarding a Ram truck review. I've never lost an RE trans, or any trans in a Dodge pickup, they've all treated me well but fact remains, many think the Ram will fall apart around the Cummins.

Ford had many problems when using Navistar Diesels, their new in house diesel has proven very reliable short of some turbo issues, but in all, very reliable, powerful, and efficient. GM doesn't import the Duramax, not sure if that was what you were saying?

The Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel has been reviewed by magazines, and it has returned low to mid 20mpg's in their all around tests.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Repeating an old and incorrect assumption, doesn't help remove the stigma.
It's been nearly a decade since Dodge used some of those transmissions.

Ford diesels are still having issues and Duramax is Isuzu.

·
Registered
694 Posts
MoparNorm said:
It's been nearly a decade since Dodge used some of those transmissions.

Ford diesels are still having issues and Duramax is Isuzu.
And the sting is still there from those transmissions, the 48RE made it to early 2007. Do I mention front end problems on the 3/4 & 1 tons? Death Wobble? Interiors (06-08)?

Cummins still have problems they aren't perfect either. The new UREA injected models are just finally landing in the hands of consumers. The 6.7 had many turbo issues when first introduced, its to be expected that issues may arise with the new model as well.

It also lacked the mpg's it was once known for (the 5.9) due to the emissions equipment.

Repeating an old and incorrect assumption, doesn't help remove the stigma.
The same can be said for you comment about the Titan being a throwaway vehicle, many people who have owned them and would disagree with you.

The Duramax is not an Isuzu.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts