Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad bought a mint '72 Barracuda in the late 1970's. It was finished in "Evening Blue Poly" and it had the 318ci and automatic TorqueFlite trans,. I think he said he only paid $600 for it off the original owner (a friend of his at work), and it only had like 30,000 miles.

Anyway, my uncle wanted it badly and kept asking to buy it. Finally in 1981, my dad sold it to him for like $800. My dad was injured badly at work and needed the money. My uncle drove it sporadically for a decade but in like 1990 he gave it to my idiot cousin (his brother's son). This damn fool then traded it to someone for a rebuilt transmission for his ratty mid 70's Camaro (that wasn't nearly as nice as the '72 Barracuda). His rationale was "I hate Mopars; I'm a Chevy guy."

He didn't even ask my dad, me, or my older brother first, or we would've bought it to keep it in the family. We would've bought it.

This was a rust-free west coast numbers matching original car that was in great shape. I hope at least it ended up in someone's hands who is still enjoying it to this day.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I took a '78 Magnum XE with the police E58 package drivetrain apart to restore before I knew anything about restoring vehicles. I don't have it anymore. A friend has it, but it's unlikely to ever get put back together. When I bought it the guy who took me out to where it was for sale at took off, I got it up to 100 on the highway catching up with him, it still had plenty more left, though with the tires and the nasty gas I was taking a risk that I shouldn't have in hindsight.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The late 70's and early 80's were the time to buy muscle cars. I bought my 69 RoadRunner in 1978. It was a fair car with a 383 torn apart, but all the parts were there. The car cost me 52.00 and a case of long necks to the owner of the "service" station who was getting rid of the car. I bought my 71 Barracuda Gran Coup 340 car with 45,000 miles on it in perfect shape for 1100.00 from a dealer in 1979. Chargers for 100.00, Dusters for free, station wagons for free, engines for free, coarse spline "Hemi" transmissions for 100.00. Oh how I wish I could get deals like that now. People want 75.00 for a lousy single groove crankshaft pulley these days. We used to toss them because everyone wanted power steering.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
In 1984, I had the opportunity to purchase a really low mileage '68 Satellite Hemi for $3000. My son had just been born, and funds were too tight. Darn.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
peterjon1 said:
In 1984, I had the opportunity to purchase a really low mileage '68 Satellite Hemi for $3000. My son had just been born, and funds were too tight. Darn.
Those are worth $45,000-$50,000 now. :( If instead of buying the Hemi Satellite, you had stuck the $3k in an interest bearing checking account, it'd be worth $7k now. So either way you slice it, Hemis are an awesome investment.

They are so rare because hardly anyone checked the option box next to the Hemi on the order sheet. The Hemi was a pricey option (like $4,000 in today's dollars), and the 383ci and 440ci V8's were almost as fast (arguably faster in 1/8 and 1/4 mile -- stock anyway) and easier to maintain. Even street racers were more likely to order a 440ci V8 over a Hemi.

My dad is a Mopar nut. He preferred the 318ci and 340/360 cars -- less weight, better handling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts