Allpar Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
38,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As a side note, apparently Chrysler has stopped making gear shifters for 2012-13 eight-speeds, and they are simply not available. If you have a car that relies on that shifter, I believe the solution is to junk the car when the shifter stops working.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Police pulled us over because they are not paid enough to live on. So 20 Ringget on the backside of the drivers license plastic holder. Then off you go.
This is something I learned from two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. It was a huge problem in Iraq, as the old regime basically operated on an extreme [removed] theory of not paying commensurate to responsibility, and changing that wouldn't happen overnight. Add that to a very old world mentality that the equipment given to the unit by the US or the Iraqi Army was a gift to the commander, who also operated his unit like his own personal fiefdom. Commanders, who weren't paid well enough to make them beholden to the nation, often required bribes from their soldiers to join the unit, and a fraction of their pay to stay in the unit.

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Jeepaholic
6,404 Posts
This is something I learned from two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. It was a huge problem in Iraq, as the old regime basically operated on an extreme [removed] theory of not paying commensurate to responsibility, and changing that wouldn't happen overnight. Add that to a very old world mentality that the equipment given to the unit by the US or the Iraqi Army was a gift to the commander, who also operated his unit like his own personal fiefdom. Commanders, who weren't paid well enough to make them beholden to the nation, often required bribes from their soldiers to join the unit, and a fraction of their pay to stay in the unit.
And people wonder why the Iraqi army (and others) fall like a house of cards as soon as they face a bit of adversity. Those who know them, understand why.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
As a side note, apparently Chrysler has stopped making gear shifters for 2012-13 eight-speeds, and they are simply not available. If you have a car that relies on that shifter, I believe the solution is to junk the car when the shifter stops working.
I don't know enough about the mechanicals, but is that shifter electronic? You can't swap it for the knob?

·
Administrator
38,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I don't know enough about the mechanicals, but is that shifter electronic? You can't swap it for the knob?
Yup. For whatever reason it's also VIN linked to the car so junkyard parts might not work.

·
Administrator
38,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Probably a new VIN can be programmed in a used part. It can with most modules.
I will start looking for one of these from a junkyard just to make sure, but I wonder how many other time bombs are in this car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thank you Zagnut27, Quambi, and Bob Lincoln for your answers. Not a topic I've followed. On another note, wonder if another 8 spd shifter like the one in the Charger could be made to fit? I hate that knob and would rather use steering wheel paddles with separate Neutral/Reverse control.

·
Super Moderator
39,063 Posts
Thank you Zagnut27, Quambi, and Bob Lincoln for your answers. Not a topic I've followed. On another note, wonder if another 8 spd shifter like the one in the Charger could be made to fit? I hate that knob and would rather use steering wheel paddles with separate Neutral/Reverse control.
A couple years back I put a 2018 Durango traditional style sifter in place of the knob in my 2016 Durango R/T. It required pretty much swapping the entire console. Probably need a whole Charger console as parts to replace the knob on a 300.
But Dave's car is older with the nice feeling but hard to determine gear mono-stable shifter.

·
Administrator
38,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
A couple years back I put a 2018 Durango traditional style sifter in place of the knob in my 2016 Durango R/T. It required pretty much swapping the entire console. Probably need a whole Charger console as parts to replace the knob on a 300.
But Dave's car is older with the nice feeling but hard to determine gear mono-stable shifter.
I'd love to swap with a 2018 Durango shifter or 2016 knob.

Such a simple part that they have to make complicated.
Pointlessly so. It's to show the gear on the knob, as though we are looking at the console knob when we shift. You know, the knob covered up by our hands.

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
778 Posts

Pointlessly so. It's to show the gear on the knob, as though we are looking at the console knob when we shift. You know, the knob covered up by our hands.
Didn't you know that you can see through your hand?? :LOL:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

🤷‍♂️ Perhaps it's there to distinguish it as a gear control, and not the fans speed control. 😁

·
Administrator
38,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
🤷‍♂️ Perhaps it's there to distinguish it as a gear control, and not the fans speed control. 😁
It's not a knob. the knobs don't show the gears (at least not on the knob itself).

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
@Dave Z, now that you mention it, the gear indicator location on the monostable shifter IS pretty useless. Well at least when I am cruising at 70mph it will tell me I am in D and not P.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts