Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
acewiza said:
Sure. You just don't need a spare to make it home or to the nearest tire store.
You do when home is 200 miles away and the tire stores are all closed 'cause it's Sunday.

·
Registered
847 Posts
acewiza said:
Then they have these things called tow trucks...
...because waiting a few hours for a tow truck, then paying them for 3-4 hours of towing for a single flat tire, then dropping the car off at the nearest tire store to one's home, is an efficient use of time and resources?

I have no interest in living in that world.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I seem to be the 1st person in the 10-25 category. And I'm only counting personal vehicles. I'd be in 25+ if I started to include farm equipment.

My automotive 'flats' break down like this:
5+: Parked the car, walked away, came back (hours later, next day, etc.) to find that a tire had been punctured on the last trip and had insufficient pressure to safely drive away
3: partial pressure loss while traveling, could not safely continue without stopping for repair
2: complete pressure loss while traveling: 1 car, 1 motorcycle. (WRT the bike, I was glad I had my toolbox including tubes, tire irons, wrenches, air pump, & dish soap [for bead lubricant] strapped to the rear rack that day!)
1: nail protruding from tread, impacting fender liner with each rotation; tire held air at that moment, but continuing travel would have damaged the tire, wheel and/or car

In most cases the tire was able to be repaired and returned to service. In one case the flat tire was already at the wear bars, along with the rest of the tires so I had them replaced.

...Just for fun: there is a rare case of a nail in a tire, but not through the casing :)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Probably the Citroen DS...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSabTiFpIzY

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.