Allpar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
TWX said:
I've heard that the XJ Cherokee donut spare tire is a good spare for sixties and seventies RWD Mopar cars, anyone tried this?
I used the Grand Cherokee spares on B and J bodies, it was bigger around than the factory compact spare tires. I never drove on them, but did install them when the cars were sitting and wanted to use the regular tires and rims for another car. As Norm mentioned in another thread, in the late 90's Chrysler recalled some Grand Cherokees to remove the temp spare and install a full sized spare. My friend at the dealership hooked me up with half a dozen of the temp spares they removed.

Bob Lincoln said:
When my grandmother sold her house in 1992 and moved to a retirement home (where her 66 Newport would be out to the weather for the first time), her front tires were from 1970 and the rears from 1978. They were pristine. I suspect today's tires are very inferior to old bias ply tires as far as ozone and UV resistance, or at least the rubber compound is.
Also, a bias ply tire won't do the damage to a car that a steel belted radial will do if it shreds though it's still a handful if it happens at speed.

I'll admit I don't keep a "new" spare in my cars. A couple years back when I was driving the 1989 Fifth Avenue, I had a flat and had to install the original 1989 full sized spare. I figured if I kept off the freeway and kept speeds below 45mph (to keep heat build up down) I would be OK and I was. Now if that tire hadn't been in the trunk, I am sure it would have dry rotted and been unsafe after that time.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
Back in the 1970s my grandparents bought a new Ford Granada. For whatever reason ( think it was a rubber worker's strike) the car had no spare tire, just a bare rim in the trunk. Between the time they bought the car and when the spare tire arrived, they had four flat tires, three of which required the tires to be replaced. They ended up with four brand new tires on the ground and the last slightly used original spare in the trunk. Then never had another flat tire again on that car in the five years they kept it. Talk about bad luck.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
Last year sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas some crack head decided he needed the spare tire from my Dodge Dakota more than I did. I was able to find a much cheaper 17" steel wheel and tire to replace the nice aluminum one they stole. Then in January or February I picked up a nail. The tire was very low when I stopped to get my dogs. It was only 3 miles home and not a gas station with a working air pump anywhere in that 3 miles. I made it to my driveway and the tire was completely flat within 15 minutes.

Before that, the last flat was on my old 1991 Grand Voyager which I haven't owned since 2007 or 2008.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
Four built in jacks would probably be safer, but more complex expensive and much heavier than a single jack.
I think it's a neat idea but doubt it ever becomes a production item.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
Goodyear makes some very good tires, unfortunately they also make a lot of low end and other crap tires that are selected as OEM by Chrysler.

I swear the Firestone Firehawk GT tires on my Challenger flat spot while the car sits during the week. I usually only drive it one day a week and it's rough at 45MPH for the first mile or so. I thought only bias ply tires flat spotted?

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
I like having a full sized spare, but it isn't a necessity. Also the matching rim isn't such a big deal. Someone stole the matching spare tire from under my Dakota (probably a crack head for the scrap aluminum value) and I replaced it with a plain steel wheel to save money ($50 for a steel wheel with a tire or $150 for the bare aluminum wheel). The Challenger has the factory donut but I do have a full sized spare in the garage just in case.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
My auto insurance now has road side assistance.
But read the fine print. Some will say roadside assistance only covers installing your spare on your car, not hauling your car in if a tire cannot be fixed roadside.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
My 5ooc has no spare and I am going to order one. I skipped the top of the line sound system on the Challenger so it got the spare.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
Yep it's about $300 for the 500, I think the 500L is a little more.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
I never cared for donut tires and almost always got a regular rim and a full size spare. I usually did a 5 tire rotation. Now, with the 2014 G Caravan, I don't have the choice of a full size spare and had to negotiate for a donut spare.
I made the spare tire part of the deal when I bought my 500L last year. I also skipped the subwoofer option that puts a subwoofer in place of the spare tire when I ordered my Challenger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.