Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,550 Posts
The original donut spares in both my 84 and 93 Daytonas are in great shape.

The full-size spare underneath my 92 Dakota had deteriorated enough by last year that I bought a new tire. People thought I was foolish to invest in a new tire, especially since I drive it about 3K to 4K miles a year, and don't have occasion to rotate them. But it's crazy to have a spare and for it to be non-functional. It's good insurance. And I winch it down at least once a year to be sure the winch works and I can actually get at it.

·
Super Moderator
33,550 Posts
When my grandmother sold her house in 1992 and moved to a retirement home (where her 66 Newport would be out to the weather for the first time), her front tires were from 1970 and the rears from 1978. They were pristine. I suspect today's tires are very inferior to old bias ply tires as far as ozone and UV resistance, or at least the rubber compound is.

·
Super Moderator
33,550 Posts
The last two flats I have had were from a bubble and and an abraded sidewall - both were sidewall failures. No repair kit is going to help me there. If I can't get a spare tire at no cost, I'm not buying the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
33,550 Posts
JavelinAMX said:
Apologies if someone offered this bit before ( I didn't thoroughly read the entire thread ) -

As for jacks, shouldn't cars be equipped with built-in jacks, one at each corner at this point in modern automobile development? The engine - or the electrical system - could power the jack to come down from a column and prop the vehicle up a la' various racing vehicles. A glove-compartment or trunk-located controller would give the vehicle operator the choice of one, two on the same side (left or right; or front/rear pairs), or all four jacks to lift the vehicle for maintenance, including tire changes. That way you wouldn't need a more traditional jack except as a back-up.

I like capable full-sized tires - build the space to carry it. Placed correctly, that could aid rear-end collision protection. But designers would have to be given 'leave' to leverage that sort of thing.
WAY too expensive, and too much liability. I can imagine someone crushing their hand or foot, or claiming it was done and was Chrysler's fault.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.