Allpar Forums banner

The Spare Tire Thread

41648 Views 190 Replies 42 Participants Last post by  Dave Z
This thread is to be all about spare tires. Given the age of many of our cars, our spares are probably due for replacement. What have you done, or how have you addressed this? Can be anything from, "I had to add a spare to my SRT car that didn't come with one," to, "I had to buy a new T125/90-18 to replace the old one," or anything else relevant...
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,522 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Jeepers learn early on in life, to rely upon no one but yourself, to get out of a bad situation, so we've always carried a full size spare, sometimes two , tire repair kits, extra belts and hoses, extra fuel and a full tool kit.
A full sized spare would be a part of your normal tire rotation, a temporary spare should be treated as perishable after 5 years.

Bean counters and marketeers don't get you home, preparation does.
I was thinking it's 10 years? Guess I better look at replacing the one in my Caliber

· Registered
5,522 Posts
acewiza said:
I think ultimately "run-flat" is the way to go. More and more cars are coming equipped with them these days and it is just a matter of time before the concept of the old "spare tire" becomes a thing of the past.
Aren't those just as susceptible to being sliced open too though?

· Registered
5,522 Posts
Before I bought a "real" jack, I used the scissor jack from my Caliber several times with no problems.

· Registered
5,522 Posts
Aldo, it's nice to hear I'm not the only one with an anti-Goodyear bias!

Even the crappy firestones that came on my Caliber didn't have problems, like the Goodyears we've had. Granted they all wore way too fast.

· Registered
5,522 Posts
valiant67 said:
Goodyear makes some very good tires, unfortunately they also make a lot of low end and other crap tires that are selected as OEM by Chrysler.

I swear the Firestone Firehawk GT tires on my Challenger flat spot while the car sits during the week. I usually only drive it one day a week and it's rough at 45MPH for the first mile or so. I thought only bias ply tires flat spotted?
Ironically, the Goodyear tires we had the most problems with were their bottom of the barrel, OEM spec, "Integrity" tires.

· Registered
5,522 Posts
JavelinAMX said:
So, the they'll lean away from supplying the tire and jack.

Does this mean the cavity normally molded-in for those bits will be going, too?
If you look at the new Cherokee, it's a "storage" space when the compact or full size spare isn't ordered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.