Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Jeepers learn early on in life, to rely upon no one but yourself, to get out of a bad situation, so we've always carried a full size spare, sometimes two , tire repair kits, extra belts and hoses, extra fuel and a full tool kit.
A full sized spare would be a part of your normal tire rotation, a temporary spare should be treated as perishable after 5 years.

Bean counters and marketeers don't get you home, preparation does.
I was thinking it's 10 years? Guess I better look at replacing the one in my Caliber

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
acewiza said:
I think ultimately "run-flat" is the way to go. More and more cars are coming equipped with them these days and it is just a matter of time before the concept of the old "spare tire" becomes a thing of the past.
Aren't those just as susceptible to being sliced open too though?

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Before I bought a "real" jack, I used the scissor jack from my Caliber several times with no problems.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Aldo, it's nice to hear I'm not the only one with an anti-Goodyear bias!

Even the crappy firestones that came on my Caliber didn't have problems, like the Goodyears we've had. Granted they all wore way too fast.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
valiant67 said:
Goodyear makes some very good tires, unfortunately they also make a lot of low end and other crap tires that are selected as OEM by Chrysler.

I swear the Firestone Firehawk GT tires on my Challenger flat spot while the car sits during the week. I usually only drive it one day a week and it's rough at 45MPH for the first mile or so. I thought only bias ply tires flat spotted?
Ironically, the Goodyear tires we had the most problems with were their bottom of the barrel, OEM spec, "Integrity" tires.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
JavelinAMX said:
So, the they'll lean away from supplying the tire and jack.

Does this mean the cavity normally molded-in for those bits will be going, too?
If you look at the new Cherokee, it's a "storage" space when the compact or full size spare isn't ordered.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Not all the vans are coming without spares. Just some of them...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.