Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
10,445 Posts
Well, I believe my situation is well documented by now, but let me provide the first response to kick this off:

I have owned five SRT vehicles (i.e., 2005, 2006 and 2007 300C SRT8, a 2006 Magnum SRT8, and a 2012 Challenger 392 now). The lack of a spare tire has always been in the back of my mind, especially because I drive long distances to Vancouver, Canada from Los Angeles, and back, in good and bad weather conditions.

But it wasn't until I blew a tire on my Challenger last month, out of wireless range, and discovered that, apparently, Chrysler Roadside Assistance does not cover flats (there is still disagreement on this). that I finally decided enough is enough.

After much soul searching and looking at my options --including getting rid of the car altogether, I decided to strip out those cheap subwoofers under the trunk floor and mount a spare tire kit --go to thread for more details http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/149600-mounting-a-spare-tire-on-a-srt/#entry11342419

Since this incident, I have been finding out that a growing number of new vehicles are dispensing of the spare tire altogether --i.e., Mustangs with the Brembo brake package, certain Prius models (Prius Plug-In and Prius C, apparently), Civic Hybrid, Acura TSX wagon, etc., etc.

Personally, I feel driving without a spare tire is just absurd. People tell me "Oh, but I have AAA", or "I haven't had a flat in 10 years". That may be the case, but this is still no guarantee you won't have a flat tomorrow, or that you will be able to reach AAA. If it happens, hopefully you are in an urban area with wireless reception and a Starbucks nearby so you can sip a latté while you wait for the tow truck. Otherwise, what is your Plan B?

We started down this slippery slope years ago and have come to the point where some customers don't even care if their new car carries a spare or not. Now automakers are looking for ways to dispense of the spare tire in more vehicles as a means to deal with increasing fuel economy standards, find a place to store larger batteries, or provide higher performance. And OEMs seem to be under the impression that customers do not care and have given their permission to continue dispensing of spare tires. I would argue this incorrect.

Reactions: djsamuel

·
10,445 Posts
Norm, you would be surprised by the number of self-identified "enthusiasts" who screamed when I suggested SRTs offer a spare tire. I was called a bad driver, a poser, told to buy a Ford, to get a lifetime AAA membership, etc.

To your point about "marketers": they have convinced a number of buyers that driving w/o a spare tire is actually "cool"; like a badge of honor --I imagine until they, or one of their loved ones, gets stranded...

Reactions: Trailmaster

·
10,445 Posts
Chris Monaco said:
Now that you've piqued my curiosity, how'd you get out of that without wireless reception? Hoping/guessing you were stranded by a place within walking distance?
I limped 20 miles until the tire disintegrated. At that point I was within wireless reception and only 5 miles from the closest America's Tire. That's when Chrysler Roadside Assistance informed me flat tires are not covered and it would be "...$70 dollars to send a tow truck. We accept Visa, Master Card and American Express. How would you like to pay today...?" It is not clear whether flat tire assistance is covered or not; depends where you read.

So far the tab for that Sunday drive has been $825 for two new tires, tow and the spare tire kit. I was lucky I didn't damage the wheel or it would have been an additional $800 for a forged SRT wheel.

My service manager shared my story with the Regional Rep: Chrysler offered to refund me for the spare tire kit and the tow. I am still waiting to see the refund.

·
10,445 Posts
digitalrailroader said:
one of my Pet Peeves when driving is seeing people driving on a Donut Spare as if its a Full Size Spare! (the Automakers need to put BRIGHT RED Warning Labels on the Space saver Rims that say DO NOT USE YOUR SPACE SAVER SPARE TIRE LIKE A FULL SIZE SPARE TIRE!)
Actually, once I saw a Toyota on the freeway on all four donuts doing 70 like he were on Pirelli P Zeros :scared:

·
10,445 Posts
I knew someone was going to ask me all the technical questions sooner or later! LOL

I don't have it in front of me, but I believe the donut is on a 18-inch steel wheel and the spacer looks like 1.5 inches.

·
10,445 Posts
I posted my spare tire kit discovery on Challengertalk.com, and apparently a dozen members ordered a spare tire kit from performancespare.com.

Goes to show you the demand out there looking for a "solution" to the lack of spare tire problem.

·
10,445 Posts
Very good point, Suchislife. I grew up in Perú and remember how nothing less than a fullsize spare was necessary to get you home, given lack of assistance facilities and proper road infrastructure.

To Sunburnt's point, unfortunately, a fullsize spare won't work on many of today's vehicles: they just don't have the space for it.

·
10,445 Posts
Well, I am happy to report that I was able to fit the spare tire kit of my Challenger 392 into the back of my 300 SRT.

It fits perfectly, and the best part is I didn't have to remove any subwoofers this time... :D

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
10,445 Posts
I inquired about runflats when I blew that front tire on my Challenger. America's Tire advised me not to waste my time and money with them.

In their opinion, they are pricey, they do not handle was well as regular tires, at best you can limp 50 miles on them...and in the end they would have made no difference in a case like mine where I blew a tire.

·
10,445 Posts
acewiza said:
(I bet my wife's BMW would run rings around your Challenger - on run flat tires!)
Riiiiiiight

·
10,445 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
The last two flats I have had were from a bubble and and an abraded sidewall - both were sidewall failures. No repair kit is going to help me there. If I can't get a spare tire at no cost, I'm not buying the vehicle.
I feel the same way. Because I have been doing business with my dealer for a decade and we know each other well, they got Chrysler to get me an aftermarket spare tire kit for my SRT...and now I am a happy camper :)

I recently traded my SRT 392 for a 300 SRT and kept the spare tire kit. If I hadn't been able to get a spare tire I'd bought a sports sedan from someone else --despite my long, deep love for Chrysler and SRT...

·
10,445 Posts
So I went to use the infamous spare tire kit I got for my SRT: the aftermarket scissor jack busted into pieces!!! It couldn't handle the weight of the 300. Thankfully I hadn't removed the wheel yet. Cr*p!

I am going to have to find a more sturdy jack...maybe the OE that comes in the 300C...?

·
10,445 Posts
The bottle jack pushes up from the axle? There is not enough room under the rocker panel.

The SRT has these molding extensions covering the rocker panels that is going to make fitting any jack a bit tricky.

·
10,445 Posts
He must work for Continental tires or something...

·
10,445 Posts
For clarification: the jack that failed me was aftermarket --supplied with the aftermarket spare tire kit for my SRT.

I picked up an OE jack from my dealer and tried it: works like a charm!

·
10,445 Posts
TWX said:
A common thread is that all four of those makes are generally purchased by those that can afford the costs of dealing with tire problems when they occur, up to and including a tow and new wheel/tire or even a rental. I'm sure that even our member Aldo here was able to bear the cost of his experience with his Challenger SRT8 flat, even if he was unhappy with having to, but his experience shows that even those that can afford to deal with it may still not want to have to, especially when a half-hour and 50lb in tools and parts would lend to a solution to at least reach a tire shop for a repair or replacement in controlled conditions.
My peeves were that (1st) I blew a tire and had no spare and no cell reception; (2nd) when I contacted Chrysler Roadside Assistance they said flat tires are not covered.

Yes, I can afford a new tire and I can afford a tow, but I do not want to find out when I am on the side of the road.

Chrysler is free to remove the spare tire if it wants, but it needs to overcomensate with assurances if it wants to retain customer trust. And if they are too cheap to include a spare tire and flat tire assistance, then include a $49 AAA membership and a Satellite phone!

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
10,445 Posts
A bud of mine that works at Toyota and drives a company-supplied Prius Plug-In (which doesn't carry a spare either) had three separate flats within a two-week span.

Not only was he fuming (roadside assistance and all), he decided the car is only good enough for city commuting; they take their ML350 whenever they leave town.

·
10,445 Posts
I voted on the poll this afternoon and got a flat on my way home!!!

You can't make this stuff up! LMAO

·
10,445 Posts
There you have it: a mere 1,800 miles on the odometer and already got a flat!

Those Goodyear F1 Supercar tires are Supercr*p! Every one of the seven flats I've had in the last 8 years has been on those.

Not only are they super-weak, they are also super-useless in winter and super-expensive.

I am not wasting my money on another Goodyear. I am replacing all four while I still can get some money for them, with a set of Falken Azenis: they grab better, they last longer, they ride quieter, they work in winter...and they cost HALF!

One more instance when carrying a spare saved the day: I got a flat on the 110 freeway at 6:15pm. A tow would have been pointless because tire shops were already closed; and instead of waiting one hour for the truck to show up, I was back on the road in 30 mins.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.