Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
After a lifetime of driving, going spare-less is dumb and thinking this wont bite you is dumber. I have had blowouts at speed, and flats due to: The valve stem rubber letting go. The tire leisurely deflating itself due to a crack in the sidewall while the car was parked. A bulge in the tread that thumped the car all the way home. A spiral shanked nail nailing the sidewall,
etc etc...

While the skinny donuts are way better than nothing, I like a full size spare, the same wheel and tire as the other 4. That way you can even due an old school 5 tire rotation.

·
Registered
699 Posts
My 06 Dakota has a full size spare tire on a steel rim. However the rim does not match the other 4 steel rims. The spare rim was black while the other 4 are silver, and is of a way different design. To make the best of it, I painted the black rim silver.
I prefer to do 5 tire rotations, but don't want a odd ball rim on the truck. This is nuts! If your gonna have a full size spare on a truck, give the customer a matching rim!

Now to the tires. I was in a Wallmart parking lot one saturday and noticed a shiny metalic spot on the tread of the left front rire. It was a piece of metal imbeded into the tire, ground flat by the road. I resisted the urge to pull it out with plyers, lest I deflate the tire and be changing it there. So rode it home and in the driveway, got plyers and pulled it out, and put on the air compressor. What a surprise. It was only 1/4" inches long, and the tip of a galvanized deck screw. Best of all. the tire was not leaking due to the shortness of the screw.

I puzzled over how a such a short piece of a screw can exist on the road, and then impail a tire. The answer is obvious. The screw threads prevented it going any farther into the tire by straight line force, and the rotation of the tire broke off the rest of the screw. If it was a nail, it would be a flat for sure.

In conclusion, it is better to have a tire screwed rather than nailed..... :flashred:

·
Registered
699 Posts
JavelinAMX said:
Think of the out-of-pocket price of a full-size spare; but then think of the other costs - you just pointed out several others. This aspect of car ownership is too critical to play the sort of games the Mfr's are contemplating or actually doing now.
If I was to ever buy new, and am only one lotto ticket away from that, I would insist on a full size spare with the rim matching the other 4, period-- not up for discussion; and if the dealer gave me any guffaw on that, I'd turn tail and go to the next dealer....

·
Registered
699 Posts
Why you need a spare tire if you let your wife drive...

We bought an Omni in the mid 1980's. It was to be my car for commuting. The car was a few weeks old and she insisted on driving one Sunday evening. She is driving along, and I casually mentioned to trun down the brightness of the instruments. She grabs holt of the knob, starts to twist it dimmer, and suddenly the car veers off the road to the right, and clobbers the front passenger side wheel against the curb. The tire sidewall is torn up, and the brand new rim is bent to destruction. Lucky the fender escaped the impact. Put on the spare, it was full size but a temporary tire. And I drove home in the midst of a shouting match. I says she drives like a dufus, and she says if I didn't tell her to dim the dashboard lights it wouldn't of happened so the whole busted tire and rim are is my fault.

The following monday I was at the parts counter buying a tire and rim I shouldn't of had to, told the parts man what happened and he laughed out loud.

Sometimes you just cant win for losing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.