Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
360VF said:
A few years back I had a very low milage 1977 Aussie Valiant Charger. The original owner had removed the original styled steel rims and tyres, and installed a set of alloy rims with wider tyres when the car was nearly new and luckilly stored the originals. Occasionally for local shows I'd put them back on and drive the couple of low speed miles to the show and back. To all intents and purposes on the outside the tyres looked fine. Great tread depth, supple sidewalls and tread with no visible weathering. One day whilst pushing the car around in the garage, I hear a 'sloshing' sound coming from the tyres after stopping. Thinking that they had somehow absorbed water (mirraculous has they held pressure perfectly) I took one and had it pulled from the rim. Inside were hundreds of rubber 'ball bearings' ranging up to an 1/8" or so in diameter. The tyres were literally disintegrating from the inside. After that I would only put the tyres on at the shows after getting there........

As an aside they were around 25 year old OEM tyres, called Dunlop Aquajets - used on all Aussie performance cars of the day. Similar I suppose to Polyglas GT's.

They were more popularly know after the technology passed them by in the late 70's as Dunlop Aquaplanes' though.

These tyres
I have seen garden tractor and riding lawnmower tires disintegrate from the inside because of aerosol sealants. Those sealants are often used on garden tractor and riding lawnmower tires driven in places with sandburs.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I knew there was a reason that I keep renewing my AAA membership. I've called them twice in the past six years. Once, I ran out of gas --- I probably didn't hear the chime because my music was too loud and didn't see the orange gas pump light because I was driving toward the setting sun. They got there in less than an hour, in another state.

The second call was for a battery that gave out about 40 days after its warranty ended and a week after it passed the battery test that goes with my oil change & inspection coupons. The AAA battery was competitive and the price for replacing it was slightly less than what the four auto parts stores within two miles of my house quoted. The Patriot was actually in my garage when the battery failed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.