Allpar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
The term "full-sized spare" takes on a whole new meaning when you drive trucks with 34-35" tires on them. For one thing, they don't fit in the normal spots made available to carry them. Then you may have to consider securing a $500 custom tire/wheel combo wherever you do end up putting it, if you decide to go the 5-way rotation route. There are various aftermarket mounting solutions available, some of which are rather impractical and none of which are inexpensive. Even finding a cheap 34" truck tire to use for a normal spare is a challenge these days.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Doug D said:
...a Firestone service writer he recommended replacing the spare tire if it is over 10 years old - even if it had never been used.
That is excellent advice. Dry rot is an almost invisible tire issue that will inevitably surface at the most inopportune time. The time factor was what led me to discover the difficulties in maintaining large truck spares. Also many years ago I had a very disappointing experience learning the hard lesson about old spares.

I was a younger man in the military home on leave, preparing to embark on a cross country road trip with my old '70 New Yorker. I stored it at my father's house for about nine years. I did meticulous storage preparations on the car before going overseas nine years earlier to include draining, flushing and/or replacing all the fluids, treating the fuel lines, blocking it up, removed battery and last but not least: new tires. Bad idea. Halfway across Kansas on a particularly hot day they started to blow. No biggies, I thought. I was prepared with THREE spares in the trunk. Of course they were all older than the "new" old ones. Twenty miles later - BOOM-WHOOSH! Another blowout. Then another. And before I had gone a hundred miles since the first blowout I was on the side of I-70 with another flat and 3 flat tires in the trunk.

Never again. As they say - hard lessons are well learned.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, that's what happened. It needed tires at the time, and I did not then know how long I was going to be away. I certainly did not expect it to be nine years, but that's how it turned out. Traveling around overseas in the military can be fairly unpredictable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think ultimately "run-flat" is the way to go. More and more cars are coming equipped with them these days and it is just a matter of time before the concept of the old "spare tire" becomes a thing of the past.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ptschett said:
You do when home is 200 miles away and the tire stores are all closed 'cause it's Sunday.
Then they have these things called tow trucks...
Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
There is also the availability issue... when it is time to replace them, can you get them? in your size? what are your options? what do they cost?
They are more common than you think. We have them on my wife's car and I cannot tell any difference in the way they ride and handle. They are about $30 more per tire than the same conventional model.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The main reason (not talking about Jeeps or trucks here. That is a different subject - totally different vehicles, totally different applications) passenger cars are coming with run-flats is twofold. #1 - tire technology has improved to the point where reliability is not really an issue any more for the average driver on paved roads. For example, my family and I have operated a small fleet around here consisting of various vehicles without a single flat ...ever in 15 years. Literally in the past 15 years we have have not had one, and including several cross-country trips in the summer during that time. That might have been a little harder target to hit in the 15-30 years ago time frame.

#2 - a large majority of the most popular smaller and even mid-sized vehicles either are not (? why - see #1) or cannot be designed to practically carry a spare without sacrificing other aspects of the design.

So whether you like it or agree with it or not, run flats are here to stay.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Aldo said:
America's Tire advised me not to waste my time and money with them.
I would consider buying tires somewhere else - they gave you bad advice based on old information. Some people get ideas in their head and just refuse to change their opinions for whatever reason or ignore new information:

http://www.tirereview.com/article/108002/runflat_tires_offer_dealers_profits_drivers_peace_of_mind.aspx

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20100917/NEWS/309179995/run-flat-tires-their-use-is-growing-slowly

If they are good enough for Corvettes and BMWs they are good enough for me. :thumbsup:

(I bet my wife's BMW would run rings around your Challenger - on run flat tires!)

·
Registered
26 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Yeah...we all got that...and there are situations where nothing substitutes for a real spare.
And the other 99.9% of the time run flats are a better solution for the vast majority of drivers. :thumbsup:

Especially the ones unwilling or unable to deal with things like broken jacks, etc. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
26 Posts
You guys want to poo-poo run-flats based on a tiny segment of the market and half the posters in this thread, non of which seem to have any actual experience or current information on them?

Okaaaaaay, then.... Enjoy your spare tires!

1 - 12 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.