Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Apologies if someone offered this bit before ( I didn't thoroughly read the entire thread ) -

As for jacks, shouldn't cars be equipped with built-in jacks, one at each corner at this point in modern automobile development? The engine - or the electrical system - could power the jack to come down from a column and prop the vehicle up a la' various racing vehicles. A glove-compartment or trunk-located controller would give the vehicle operator the choice of one, two on the same side (left or right; or front/rear pairs), or all four jacks to lift the vehicle for maintenance, including tire changes. That way you wouldn't need a more traditional jack except as a back-up.

I like capable full-sized tires - build the space to carry it. Placed correctly, that could aid rear-end collision protection. But designers would have to be given 'leave' to leverage that sort of thing.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Funny, but not infallible, especially if you have changed a road wheel, or added a track link at 3 in the morning... ;)
Re: Tracks ...

You don't need a Jack, though. Tracks work well Off-Road. The wear guarantee can be quite impressive, especially when compared with the average tire wear guarantees found with tires from name brands. Finally, they'd look great on a Chrysler 300C . A lot of people talk about how cool it is to hear a great exhaust note - and I'd totally agree ... well, these could add another characteristic sound that people could get real jazzed about. I think I overheard Sergio and Crew leaning toward them in the last Tire and Wheel discussion in Auburn Hills. I can't be absolutely certain. It was right before they gave me five minutes to pitch my idea for offering as standard equipment on the 2014 Viper the normally aspirated 1.4L coupled with the DDCT. At the heart of that pitch was the need to include a Throttle Governor to restrict the engine output upper limit to 3500 RPM. I came away from that meeting with a new perspective : Serge is a pretty cool dude. Anyway, as I was leaving the Board Room after the Pitch, I think I caught a glimpse of Ralph sketching a new 300C with Tracks for the attendees. It was right about that time I was thankful that I remembered to eat a small container of yogurt that had a healthy dose of beneficial Probiotics ...

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
TWX said:
I was rear-ended in the '97 Stratus on the freeway and pushed into the car in front of me, a few days after I'd replaced the donut spare with a full-sized wheel and tire. I think that the spare effectively saved the quarter panels from buckling. The rear bumper's core of foam or plastic or whatever it was pushed into the spare tire well, which slightly deformed as it pushed into the tire, and the tire slid just a bit until it made contact with the front part of the well, and then the tire squeezed just a bit, and that was that. Had the donut been there I expect that the rear-quarter of the car would have tweaked under the C-pillars and that it simply would have been totalled. The body shop was able to pound the spare tire well back out, repair the trailing edge of the trunk opening, and replace the rear bumper cover and bumper insert.
Think of the out-of-pocket price of a full-size spare; but then think of the other costs - you just pointed out several others. This aspect of car ownership is too critical to play the sort of games the Mfr's are contemplating or actually doing now.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
TWX said:
Trouble is, some vehicles don't have room for a full-sized spare. If my wife's Integra has a flat, the conventional wheel and tire won't sit all of the way down into the spare tire well, the trunk floor covering will be up off the tub.

What I really detest is when manufacturers mount the spare upside-down so that there's no good way to check the tire pressure without removing it from the trunk. That's really stupid, and I've gone out and purchased the parts to properly tie-down the spare with the valve-side up for both of our daily drivers, even though I had to spend more money that one would normally think it'd cost, given that the tie-downs in both daily drivers are all metric hardware and so I had to buy more metric threaded rod and wingnuts and the like.

If they think that mounting the tire upside down means that people will take it out of the trunk to fill it, thus checking it over for flaws, they're wrong. People don't even check their spare tire pressures.
I'm wondering if that is a result of depending on automation. Just guessing. Perhaps the fitting that picks-up the tire from source cannot grab the 'part' cleanly with the air valve in the way, so those from inventory flip it valve-side down. Also, I'm not trying to make excuse for them. I think being 'Customer Centric' is more important than handling ease at the factory. But this is all simple conjecture from me.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Two Days ago, Driving the 2005 Neon SXT, Wife was tooling along in the right lane at a slow speed and experienced the Left Front tire delam right in front of a Ford Business Truck section of their dealership. It delam'd quickly and I'd estimate she drove forty feet to get out of traffic, directly into the parking lot of the dealership. This was just a couple miles from home.

A while later - directly after work - we drove back to the car and swapped out the flat and put the Doughnut on. I'm glad we had that (given what's coming when you purchase new cars).

I hate those stinkin' Doughnut/Temp wheels. Yet, I was very glad to have it at the ready; but I'm old-school enough to want the Read Deal.

In THIS instance, however, with a complete delamination of the tire, the Alloy wheel was scarred quite a bit and the car was resting on that rim. I could barely get the scissors-type jack under the appropriate spot to lift the 'works' up high enough to fit the Doughnut. I'm thinking a proper Full Size would've been a bit of a problem ... perhaps by another two inches. So the whole process worked, and it was a reminder of how much I prefer another approach to things. But with it being right on the edge of not succeeding I bring all of this up. { Along with it I made mental note of what's lacking in this car's trunk to make these unwanted experiences more manageable }.

As for the tire, It was old ... granted. But something on the order of an aerosol can of 'Fix-a-Flat' would've been a joke. As it turns out, this thread on Allpar.com IMMEDIATELY came to mind, so in acknowledgment I'm supplying a real-world Virtual Vote against doing away with Spare Tires while scoffing at Fix-a-Flat (although I realize there's a place for that sort of thing).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.