Allpar Forums banner
161 - 180 of 191 Posts

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,299 Posts
Made a lot of noise about the lack of a spare tire in some maybe all now Chrysler products. Learned the hard way that when you thumb your nose at Murphy he teaches you a big time lesson.

Things I found out or remembered:

5 out of my 6 tire issues have had sidewall damage.

Service vehicle driver says he meets a lot of families that way.

The O2 sensor wire on the passenger side needs to run on the rear of the cross member under the motor and not the front where it gets cut more easily.

Should have listened to my own preaching, first time I wander far away from home Murphy pays a visit.

Murphy's Law.. Anything that can go wrong — will go wrong.

688 Posts
300MPerformance said:
I didn't see compact spare tires as an option for the minivans on either dodge.com or chrysler.com, and a dealer told me it was not an option on the Grand Caravan if I ordered one.
Spare can be had as an option:

"Compact Spare Tire (Replaces TireInflator Kit) $ 295"

Good luck finding one on dealers lot though. Most 2014's are being ordered by dealerships without the spare, like the 2014 Grand Caravan I bought.

·
Registered
190 Posts
300MPerformance said:
I didn't see compact spare tires as an option for the minivans on either dodge.com or chrysler.com, and a dealer told me it was not an option on the Grand Caravan if I ordered one.
97 plymouth neon expresso said:
Spare can be had as an option:

"Compact Spare Tire (Replaces TireInflator Kit) $ 295"

Good luck finding one on dealers lot though. Most 2014's are being ordered by dealerships without the spare, like the 2014 Grand Caravan I bought.
You can order the Spare Tire Kit, after the fact, from Mopar:

2014 Spare Tire Kit:
Part # 82214036
MSRP $295.00
The kit includes:
- Compact spare tire assembly (wheel, tire and valve stem)
- Upper and lower covers
- Winch tools
- Jack
- All hardware required for installation.

There is also a kit for Mobility Vans where the Spare Tire is relocated inside the vehicle:
Part # 82214035
MSRP $295.00
The kit includes:
- Jack

George

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,299 Posts
I purchased the car from dealer stock, first purchase in 11 years. Sales person did not go over the lack of spare when showing vehicle features. I believe the spare was a $150 option at time of purchase.

Base 2014 Challenger lists compact spare as standard.

·
Registered
864 Posts
A spare tire is like life insurance. You need it but never want to be in the situation to use it. I have had the occasional nail and a low tire but consider myself lucky that it occured around town and not on a highway. At the Chicago Auto show, I asked the Volt rep why no spare and he gave me the "when was the last time" spiel saying that now they give you a blow up kit (probably open it and find a prayer book). I do not care; I want one. At least a donut to keep me rolling.

688 Posts
georgef said:
You can order the Spare Tire Kit, after the fact, from Mopar:

2014 Spare Tire Kit:
Part # 82214036
MSRP $295.00
The kit includes:
- Upper and lower covers
- Winch tools
- Jack

There is also a kit for Mobility Vans where the Spare Tire is relocated inside the vehicle:
Part # 82214035
MSRP $295.00
The kit includes:
- Jack

George
I wonder why jack is included, unless mine came with one by mistake?

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,299 Posts
Jerry Simcik said:
With the free road-side assistance you get, they feel the spares are just unnecessary weight. (And, when was the last time you checked the air pressure in yours anyway?)
My 2009 Challenger had no mention of road side assistance, my Neon with spare did, think it was 5 years.

I check tire pressure regularly and the tire pressure indicator time of the blowout said all systems were a go. The road side assistance service required by the Site of New Jersey toll road does not provide spare tires. It took over 6 hours to complete the 55 mile trip home.

If there is no spare then run flat tires should be standard.

·
10,445 Posts
Let me tell you about Chrysler's Roadside Assistance: it is a joke, and a bad one at that!

Awhile ago now, I blew a front tire on my Challenger, driving on a mountain road north of Los Angeles one Sunday morning. I was 25 miles from the closest tire repair center but had no wireless reception.

I had to limp very slowly 20 miles back until I was able to get cell reception and call Chrysler Roadside Assistance, only to be told that the Roadside Assistance program DOES NOT cover flat tires!!!

With the tire now in tatters, and about to start damaging that expensive SRT rim, I gave my credit card to the rep to send in help. It took the tow truck ANOTHER hour to show up, 45 minutes (and a scraped chin spoiler) to load up the Challenger onto the flatbed, 20 minutes (and $70) to drive the remaining 5 miles, 20 minutes to unload the car, and another hour (and $500 for TWO matching tires) at America's Tire. What started as an intended fun 2-hour Sunday drive ended up as a 5 hour/$600 nightmare!

The following week I went fuming into my trusted CDJR dealership and I gave my Service Manager a piece of my mind, and told him exactly what I thought about Chrysler's so-called Roadside Assistance.

The sticky part is that it's impossible to get a straight answer from Chrysler if flats are or not covered...that is until you actually call R.A.!

He brought up the matter with his Chrysler rep and, perhaps because that Challenger's VIN showed as a Vehicle Replacement, or simply because I have a long-standing relationship with my dealer, but my Service Manager surprised me with a generous offer from Chrysler: purchase an aftermarket spare tire kit and Chrysler will refund you.

I found a guy in AZ assembling spare tire kits for SRTs, Mustangs and Camaros, and sells them for $400/each, shipped. Got the kit, took out that (useless) $2,000 boom box occupying the spare tire well, and mounted the compact spare tire, jack and wrench in its place, and passed the tab to my dealer.

When I traded that Challenger for my current one, I kept the spare tire kit and put in my new car. Now I always carry a spare everywhere I go with the peace of mind that I can get home if I were to get a flat.

BTW, those high performance tires puncture VERY easily which, in my mind, makes it even more unconscionable that Chrysler won't offer neither flat-tire assistance nor a factory spare tire.

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
What's Covered?

24-Hour Towing Assistance covers jump starts or towing to the nearest Chrysler Group dealer and is applicable for the term of the basic manufacturer's warranty period of 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.

For Fiat vehicles only: 24 Hour Towing Assistance covers jump starts or towing to the nearest Fiat studio and is applicable for the term of the basic manufacturer's warranty period of 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

[SIZE=12pt]For Model Year 2013:[/SIZE] Chrysler is now offering full Roadside Assistance, which will include flat tire, lockout and fuel delivery service for all Chrysler Group vehicles.

24-hour Towing Assistance is also provided on a warrantable component if your vehicle has a longer warranty (such as SRT vehicles), or additional component coverage such as 7-year or 70,000-mile limited powertrain warranty. Additionally, if you purchased certain Extended Service Contract Policies offered through our Mopar Vehicle Protection (MVP) program, this would provide an additional level of coverage on warrantable components offered through these plans. Please see your Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep dealer or FIAT studio for further details or visit Mopar Vehicle Protection.

The towing service will transport your vehicle to the Service Department of the closest Chrysler, Dodge, Ram or Jeep dealership or FIAT studio. If you choose to go to another dealership, additional charges will apply if the extra distance exceeds 10 miles.

You may contact Roadside Assistance 7 days a week, 24 hours a day at the following telephone numbers:

United States: Chrysler, Dodge, RAM & Jeep: (800) 521-2779; FIAT: 1-800-599-4809
Canada: Chrysler, Dodge, RAM & Jeep: (800) 363-4869
When calling, please have the following information available:
  • Name of vehicle owner
  • Vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • Type of vehicle
  • License plate number
  • Mileage (odometer reading)
  • Where you are located (city, cross streets, landmarks, etc.)
  • Nature of the problem (brief description)
Towing Assistance Exclusions: (for 2012 model year and prior)
  • Towing claims which would typically be covered by your vehicle insurance (such as accident related claims)
  • Fuel delivery*
  • Flat Tire Changes*
  • Lockouts*
  • Towing claims which are provided by unlicensed providers
  • Incidental or consequential damages and/or charges connected with the failure of your vehicle. Some examples may include lost time and inconvenience; the loss of the use of your vehicle; rental car expenses; fuel cost; telephone, travel, meal and/or lodging expenses; the loss of personal or commercial property; the loss of work related revenue.
  • Any vehicle which has had the odometer altered.
*While these services are not a part of Chrysler's Towing Assistance program, you can still contact the toll free number to arrange for help with these services at competitive consumer rates.
https://customerconnect.custhelp.com/app/fiat/b2c_detail/a_id/17451

·
10,445 Posts
Thanks, Jerry.

So according to this my 2012 Challenger is still NOT covered, but my 2013 Wrangler is?

I am sorry, but this is B.S. Either offer it, no strings attached, or don't bother. The worst part is, while Chrysler keeps making its R.A. Program a moving target, thousands of salespeople and service managers at 1,500 CDJR dealers are telling different things to every customer.

I'll just keep carrying a spare tire to avoid becoming a victim of Chrysler's whim du jour altogether.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I knew there was a reason that I keep renewing my AAA membership. I've called them twice in the past six years. Once, I ran out of gas --- I probably didn't hear the chime because my music was too loud and didn't see the orange gas pump light because I was driving toward the setting sun. They got there in less than an hour, in another state.

The second call was for a battery that gave out about 40 days after its warranty ended and a week after it passed the battery test that goes with my oil change & inspection coupons. The AAA battery was competitive and the price for replacing it was slightly less than what the four auto parts stores within two miles of my house quoted. The Patriot was actually in my garage when the battery failed.

·
10,445 Posts
AAA and Roadside Assistance have their definite advantages. Especially to cover family members, or when running out of gas, getting a dead battery or locking oneself out.

But in my own personal experience, NOTHING beats a spare tire when you get a flat.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm with Aldo on this! been there, done that. Don't get too many flats anymore but when you do, it's always inconvenient! Would never drive a vehicle without a spare except while in the military our hummers were run flat! Changed many a tire on 2 1/2 and 5 tons.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Aldo said:
AAA and Roadside Assistance have their definite advantages. Especially to cover family members, or when running out of gas, getting a dead battery or locking oneself out.

But in my own personal experience, NOTHING beats a spare tire when you get a flat.
Agree 100%

I live in a very rural area[very aware of lack of cell service]....no spare would be a deal breaker.

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
My auto insurance now has road side assistance.
But read the fine print. Some will say roadside assistance only covers installing your spare on your car, not hauling your car in if a tire cannot be fixed roadside.

161 - 180 of 191 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.