Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm afraid I have to divest myself of my Daytona. I don't really want to, but I need to. I expect I'll miss it, but I can't afford to keep 3 cars on the road. I'm the second owner and have had the car for a little over 12 years. I'd rather the car go to someone here on the board and am offering it up before listing it on Craigslist or some such place.

The car needs some work. Cosmetically is still in pretty good shape. Mechanically

The Bad:
Floor pans are rusted and should be replaced. Other than that, I don't believe there is any rust through.
Headliner sags
Driver seat is worn through on the bolster where they all do.
I'm not sure where the stereo is since my move
Instruments are flaky
T-tops leak a bit, but the car has been garaged since 2008.

The Good:
Trans rebuilt last summer
New Battery last spring
Re-manufactured engine installed in 2008. Has about 7500 miles on it. Also has a tic, but I've been told it isn't anything to worry about. Only noticeable at idle.
Complete new brake system minus the e-brake in 2008
New cooling system in 2008
New struts in 2008 New clutch in 2008

Runs strong and doesn't burn oil that I'm aware of.

I've got a lot of parts.

Nearly all T-top parts...seals, felts (I think) and trim, minus the hockey stick for the passenger side. A set of gauges from an 87 including a 12 button navigator (non-functioning) and the center stack equipment, crab wheels, a driver side mirror missing the connector, a center console, and probably some other miscellaneous odds and ends.

Pics at: http://www.allpar.com/gallery3/index.php/Daytona/G1/Christophers-86-Turbo-Z

If anyone is interested, drop me a pm.

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
Too bad you can't just take it off the road and store it until circumstances change. As these vehicles get older, it's less likely to be able to find them in running condition.

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TurboPacifica said:
1) how much ?
2) why no engine pictures ?
1) I know what I'd like, but I know that I'm not likely to get it. I keep thinking if I name a price I'm going to pick something high enough that people wouldn't be interested and I really do need to get rid of the car. I know that's not much of an answer, but the truth is I have a hard time being objective with the price and what it is worth to me. I think if someone made me a reasonable offer I'd let them take it.

2) Two reasons...I'm not someone who enjoys looking at engines so I didn't take any pictures. The engine bay is not showroom clean. It is the engine compartment of a 27 year old car.

I could take some pics of the engine compartment if you would like. The pictures posted are a couple of years old, but still representative of the car. It has been garaged since I got it running in 2008.
Bob Lincoln said:
Too bad you can't just take it off the road and store it until circumstances change. As these vehicles get older, it's less likely to be able to find them in running condition.
I wish I could too, but I don't have the room to store it. It was putting it in storage before that caused it to need all the work in 2008. Unfortunately, the part of the garage where it was parked had a dirt floor which may have contributed to it, but the brakes were seized up when I tried to get it out. Struts were shot, clutch needed to be replaced, cooling system needed work...

I don't really want to sell the Daytona, but I'm getting a new car this week or next, depending on the weather. I need a place to put that too and can't really afford another $55/month for second garage. I can move the Stratus out of the carport for a bit

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TJ, I'd sell the car for $1000 and $1500 for the parts. If someone is interested, make an offer.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Extremely tempting... If it weren't for the floors, I'd be all over this (I'm still trying to figure out how to find a floor in good shape for mine)

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TurboPacifica said:
Maybe you use it as a trade in.
Some dealers offer x above blue book.

It is sad to see one go.
The problem with that is that it would probably be junked and the car is in too good of shape for that to happen. Especially with the new engine and trans. Even with the floor pans rusted, everyone who has looked under the car has said that other than them, the car is in really good shape underneath.

gnnash said:
Extremely tempting... If it weren't for the floors, I'd be all over this (I'm still trying to figure out how to find a floor in good shape for mine)
I hear you there.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,677 Posts
TurboPacifica said:
Maybe you use it as a trade in.
Some dealers offer x above blue book.

It is sad to see one go.
It it's bad enough a dealer may not even take it on a trade. I've seen that happen. Even so probably be lucky to get $500 for it on a trade.

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
Only an enthusiast will fix the floor pan. Hopefully you can find someone so it doesn't get scrapped or wholesaled.

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I signed the papers on the new car today.

The porter asked about it. He loves them, but isn't sure he can afford it. He's got a Stealth to take care of...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not sure if I should have sent one, but you have a PM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts