Registered
14,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: Zagnut27

·
Registered
14,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Bronco seems to be growing on the TFL crew.....

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,188 Posts
More important question:
Will you still want to own the Bronco when it’s 5 years old?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The V8 4runners were amazingly built vehicles. Not sure what they're testing but have seen some comparisons of the V8 vs newer v6 TRD and I'd buy an 07 in a heartbeat. The new stuff (from every manufacturer) is just too expensive to repair and not worth the relability gamble imo. Those smaller engines will on average be turning higher rpms all the time in such weighted vehicles. Fuel economy be damned I don't want to replace my car every 5 years.

·
Jeepaholic
6,155 Posts
What's the answer?
As with anything else, pick which one best suits your wants/needs (and wallet) and go from there. They’re both capable vehicles that do things a little differently, and the same can be said of Wrangler.

But this is coming from an “off-road fetishist” as someone said in another thread, so I guess my opinion doesn’t count much.

·
Super Moderator
38,541 Posts
I watched it. I honestly think the test was more about them bantering back and forth than a real test of capabilities.
I've seen a stock Bronco do some pretty impressive things in other videos. I've never looked for any 4runner videos to see what they are capable of stock.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I watched it. I honestly think the test was more about them bantering back and forth than a real test of capabilities.
I've seen a stock Bronco do some pretty impressive things in other videos. I've never looked for any 4runner videos to see what they are capable of stock.
All the testing TFL does is not at a level of most serious off-roaders but aimed at the average... but I'm with you on the bantering part.. I fast forward to parts of interest. TFL does have some good test, mostly towing but the small things about each test even though not extreme in any way does indicate the differences between brands and how they relate to consumers.

·
Registered
14,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 4Runner did great. The lack of a front locker was a minor problem. Not being a convertible changes the experience. But the 4Runner would be the best for a daily driver.

The Bronco went everywhere with the same ease as a Wrangler.

These are popular trails in Colorado and apply to most people the same way that Moab is popular.

·
Jeepaholic
6,155 Posts
The 4Runner did great. The lack of a front locker was a minor problem. Not being a convertible changes the experience. But the 4Runner would be the best for a daily driver.

The Bronco went everywhere with the same ease as a Wrangler.

These are popular trails in Colorado and apply to most people the same way that Moab is popular.
Yeah, the Forerunner did well. Older doesn’t necessarily mean that something can’t perform as well…true for humans too. Lol. I don‘t know if I’d ever choose a Toyota, but it’s nice to have options at least.

·
Registered
14,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, the Forerunner did well. Older doesn’t necessarily mean that something can’t perform as well…true for humans too. Lol. I don‘t know if I’d ever choose a Toyota, but it’s nice to have options at least.
On many obstacles, the TJ 2 door can outperform a JK or JL 2-door simply due to its lighter weight and smaller size.

Reactions: Zagnut27

·
Registered
42 Posts
What's the answer?
From what I saw, they liked both and for $11,000 less stock to stock the 4Runner did everything the Bronco did. The Bronco did handle the offroad with less fuss but on the road the 4Runner got slightly better fuel mileage and rode better.

Comes down to priorities I guess. I know I will be keeping my 4Runner as it suits me better than either the Wrangler or Bronco.

·
Registered
14,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. That would also make the 4Runner better value than the Wrangler, I take it.
The 4Runner is not a convertible. For some, that makes the two non-competitors.

Again, it all comes down to personal use and priorities.

·
Jeepaholic
6,155 Posts
The 4Runner is not a convertible. For some, that makes the two non-competitors.

Again, it all comes down to personal use and priorities.
Anymore, a moonroof serves almost as well as a removable top for me, considering how often I'd probably take off the top. My daughter (will be 7 in November) keeps asking me for a car we can "take down the top", so there's that. :)

Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Registered
1970 Plymouth Duster 340, 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4XE
75 Posts
Our Wrangler's top is down every chance I get. When the Hard Top is on the Freedom Panels are off every chance I get. Neither task is especially onerous. Yes, it does take a bit longer than pushing the button in the Compass but not overly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts