Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know im a year or two behind the curve in finding out abt these "aftermarket" thermoquad type carbs but i wanted to start a thread so see peoples oppinions on the similarities and differences and how one performs versus the other. im thinking about switching to one in the future but right now im sticking to the oem tq. which carb is better? Demon Or TQ?

·
Super Moderator
36,928 Posts
I'm sure you'll get more educated opinions than mine, but here is my 2 cents worth:
If the car is driven regulary on the street, I'd stick with a spreadbore. Though it's harder to find someone who can work on them, the spreadbore design allows fairly economical operation if you can keep your foot out of it. I've had several Thermoquad equipped cars (including my 1979 Cordoba) and was quite pleased with them when set up correctly. I've not had any experience with the Demon carb as a replacement, but for a time I had an aftermarket spreadbore Holley on the 1979 Cordoba when I took the Lean Burn off and never liked it as much as the stock carb. The Demon carb sure sounds nice.

If your goal is all out performance, I might skip both the Thermoquad and the Demon and go with a traditional square bore design where there is more aftermarket support.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I've never heard anything good about the Demons, except the Thermaquad style, and even those are not supposed to be as good as the originals. I'd go with what Valiant said, you're most likely better off going with a different type of carburetor. Holley and Edelbrock are the traditionally accepted and well designed aftermarket carburetors. I'm not sure I've heard anything about any other ones lately other than those two and the Demons, and from street to drag racing, everyone's either switched back to remanufactured OEM carbs with adjusted jets and rods or a Holley or Edelbrock, far more of the Holleys though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea the afore mentioned street demon is the tq style. im just qurious if anyone has ever used one and what their experiences were with it vs the tq.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts