Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a used 2003 Dodge Dakota less than a year ago.
Suddenly, my headlights/dashboard light are flashing like Linda Blair in the 'Exorcist!'
I went to Auto-zone to check the battery and the alternator and ruled those out. Then proceeded to pay 150.00 to a local Dodge/Chrysler dealer in Vegas to do a full diagnostics and all was great with the exception of the BCM Ok, that's fine....NO IT AIN'T!!!!!!!!!!!! "Good luck" said the tech. "They don't manufacturer those any longer. You may find one on the net google/amazon ect...." and with a smart "A" finish..."The truck could completely stop working entirely at any time!"

Monique

*rant deleted by moderator*

·
Got parts?
2,610 Posts
Your dealer didn't try hard enough, and if you don't make this repair/replacement yourself, I'd advise you to find an independent mechanic who has a good reputation locally. Chrysler (now FCA) has a policy of not making any new parts after a certain number of model years have passed (it used to be 5 years, but it may be longer these days). After a dealer's inventory is depleted, you'll have to look in the independent market. Yes, you can find one on eBay. You should be able to order one at a parts store, if it's not in stock (surf for price and availability). You can probably find a used one cheaper at a local junkyard. For your application, back to the '01 model year should work.

·
Registered
982 Posts
First, some safety related items (and a BCM that controls the headlights should be one) are required to be available a lot longer (ask me about owning a 1993 Grand Caravan with the Bendix 10 ABS system). That particular system had a government mandated permanent recall for the pump and one other part. POMOCO in Hampton tried to weasel out of fixing it because their Denbigh location had almost destroyed the head on the banjo fitting bolt and it was no longer available from MOPAR or Bendix. I found a used one and they had no choice but to fix it. The next time the pump failed I took it to Tysinger Motors in Hampton VA also, no problem, by then I had bought the manual and a test gauge so had already verified a failed pump. The tech told me they were getting a "modulator failure code" which is pretty well any pressure related problem. I insisted they check the pump which they grudgingly did. Since I had worked there a number of years earlier, the parts manager had ordered in a pump on my word it was bad so I didn't have to wait for one. That was probably 2008 when the van was already 15 years old. Do some research outside of FCA and see what you can find.

·
Super Moderator
37,703 Posts
There are many reputable companies selling refurbished CTMs for Dakota with a lifetime warranty. Even if the dealer had the new part you’d be complaining about the cost.

I used one of the eBay vendors when I needed a PCM for my 1999 Dakota and my 2007 Magnum.

If you go used, the interchange is 2002-2004 but you must be careful to match options (don’t install a anti/theft CTM on a truck without it, for example).

Reactions: Doug D

·
Super Moderator
32,249 Posts
15 years old is beyond the design life, so anything you can replace is a gift at that point.

This from someone who has a 92 Dakota and 84 Daytona.

Reactions: RalphP

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,967 Posts
The tech is being lazy and is partially correct. The part may not be available from FCA anymore, but as Valiant pointed out they are available in the aftermarket.

Manfacturer's only have to have the parts available for the length of the base warranty. After that, they are not legally required to have them available. As Bob posted 15 years is well beyond the expected design life of the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
21,620 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. A cooperative dealer might install and configure a 'remanufactured', aftermarket-supplied module for you with the understanding that they (or Mopar) could not warranty it.
Any warranty agreement would be between you and the seller/vendor.

The module is called the Time and Alarm module in the parts book and has a Mopar part # of 56049071AJ (without keyless entry) and 56049072AL (with keyless entry). These are the latest part numbers. You may find older part numbers for sale also. The latest number usually has all the revisions.
They are discontinued and also may be no longer available on an exchange basis with the Authorized Chrysler electronic repair depots. Contact your local depot:
Repair and Remanufacturing | United Radio (at http://www.unitedradio.com/automotive-electronics/repair-and-remanufacturing/ )

Or a vendor:
01 02 03 04 Dodge Dakota Durango Truck BCM CTM Body Central Timing Control Unit | eBay (at https://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-03-04-Dodge-Dakota-Durango-Truck-BCM-CTM-Body-Central-Timing-Control-Unit/183297851357?hash=item2aad673fdd:g:l2kAAOSw0rNbNuER )

Find MOPAR 56049072AL Central Time Timer Alarm Module For 02-04 Dodge Dakota Durango motorcycle in Gardner, Kansas, United States, for US $364.55 (at http://www.2040-parts.com/mopar-56049072al-central-time-timer-alarm-module-for-02-04-dodge-dakota-durango-i2192268/ )

The Dakota (AN) module is different than the Durango (DN) module.

First, make sure that this really isn't a cluster or bus issue in disguise. If it has already been solidly diagnosed to be the module at fault and the vehicle is worth the repair, then get it repaired.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your dealer didn't try hard enough, and if you don't make this repair/replacement yourself, I'd advise you to find an independent mechanic who has a good reputation locally. Chrysler (now FCA) has a policy of not making any new parts after a certain number of model years have passed (it used to be 5 years, but it may be longer these days). After a dealer's inventory is depleted, you'll have to look in the independent market. Yes, you can find one on eBay. You should be able to order one at a parts store, if it's not in stock (surf for price and availability). You can probably find a used one cheaper at a local junkyard. For your application, back to the '01 model year should work.
Thank you I appreciate your assistance. My fear is that it may end up with the same issue. I've read many online posts with folks having the same issue and having to replace them constantly. Oh well...that's the way the
"TRUCK WHEEL BOUNCES!" :O)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are many reputable companies selling refurbished CTMs for Dakota with a lifetime warranty. Even if the dealer had the new part you’d be complaining about the cost.

I used one of the eBay vendors when I needed a PCM for my 1999 Dakota and my 2007 Magnum.

If you go used, the interchange is 2002-2004 but you must be careful to match options (don’t install a anti/theft CTM on a truck without it, for example).
Thank you hun. I'll tell ya, it's a nightmare. I did look for companies that sell them, but the only thing I found was a USED part on EBAY. I may end up with the same issue within 1 day - 1 year. Who knows.
Happy 4th.
Monique :O)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to Allpar. A cooperative dealer might install and configure a 'remanufactured', aftermarket-supplied module for you with the understanding that they (or Mopar) could not warranty it.
Any warranty agreement would be between you and the seller/vendor.

The module is called the Time and Alarm module in the parts book and has a Mopar part # of 56049071AJ (without keyless entry) and 56049072AL (with keyless entry). These are the latest part numbers. You may find older part numbers for sale also. The latest number usually has all the revisions.
They are discontinued and also may be no longer available on an exchange basis with the Authorized Chrysler electronic repair depots. Contact your local depot:
Repair and Remanufacturing | United Radio (at http://www.unitedradio.com/automotive-electronics/repair-and-remanufacturing/ )

Or a vendor:
01 02 03 04 Dodge Dakota Durango Truck BCM CTM Body Central Timing Control Unit | eBay (at https://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-03-04-Dodge-Dakota-Durango-Truck-BCM-CTM-Body-Central-Timing-Control-Unit/183297851357?hash=item2aad673fdd:g:l2kAAOSw0rNbNuER )

Find MOPAR 56049072AL Central Time Timer Alarm Module For 02-04 Dodge Dakota Durango motorcycle in Gardner, Kansas, United States, for US $364.55 (at http://www.2040-parts.com/mopar-56049072al-central-time-timer-alarm-module-for-02-04-dodge-dakota-durango-i2192268/ )

The Dakota (AN) module is different than the Durango (DN) module.

First, make sure that this really isn't a cluster or bus issue in disguise. If it has already been solidly diagnosed to be the module at fault and the vehicle is worth the repair, then get it repaired.
You are a doll! Thank you for taking time out to send links. :O)
I did go to ebay and purchased a used one. I had the truck fully diagnosed at a Chrysler/Dodge dealer...the truck is in GREAT shape for the year, it's just that darn module. So, we shall see.
Happy 4th hun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tech is being lazy and is partially correct. The part may not be available from FCA anymore, but as Valiant pointed out they are available in the aftermarket.

Manfacturer's only have to have the parts available for the length of the base warranty. After that, they are not legally required to have them available. As Bob posted 15 years is well beyond the expected design life of the vehicle.
Thanks. It's pretty sad though. They know some of us folks keep cars alot longer than most, therefore, why discontinue parts? Oh well....I bought a used one on EBAY...wish me luck! LOL
Happy 4th to all

·
Super Moderator
21,620 Posts
I think that I replaced 2 Time&Alarm modules in my 30 years as a tech. One was for a jump start that went wrong. The other had corrosion damage from a wiper/cowl seam water leak.
I like to prove a problem before condemning a part, especially if hundreds of dollars of someone else's money is at stake. A bad guess is sad and not necessary. Always diagnose first.
If this problem is intermittent enough where the technician hasn't actually seen the cluster failure, then it is basically a guess. Only hope that it is a good guess.

·
Super Moderator
32,249 Posts
Thanks. It's pretty sad though. They know some of us folks keep cars alot longer than most, therefore, why discontinue parts? Oh well....I bought a used one on EBAY...wish me luck! LOL
Happy 4th to all
As an electrical engineer working for companies that make instrumentation and lab equipment to last 25+ years, I can tell you, spare parts get discontinued for 2 reasons:
1) There simply isn't enough business to support making spare parts. The effort required to purchase, stock and manufacture the finished product and hang onto inventory would make the cost per unit ridiculous. And the parts would sit around on a shelf forever.
2) The components are obsoleted, so that you cannot build the module anymore. As far as re-designing the module with new generation parts, see 1) above. Not sustainable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I cannot believe this is AMERICA! I bought a used 2003 Dodge Dakota less than a year ago.
Suddenly, my headlights/dashboard light are flashing like Linda Blair in the 'Exorcist!'
I went to Auto-zone to check the battery and the alternator and ruled those out. Then proceeded to pay 150.00 to a local Dodge/Chrysler dealer in Vegas to do a full diagnostics and all was great with the exception of the BCM Ok, that's fine....NO IT AIN'T!!!!!!!!!!!! "Good luck" said the tech. "They don't manufacturer those any longer. You may find one on the net google/amazon ect...." and with a smart "A" finish..."The truck could completely stop working entirely at any time!"
ARE THEY KIDDING? What the heck.........."RAM TOUGH" for a second. After purchase, you are on your own and will end up having to purchase a NEW vehicle. This is the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD & STRADEGY! I cannot believe my father and brother fought in 3 wars only to learn that we cannot rely on our car manufacturers to keep us not only safely on our highways, but continue to keep our wallets open!
RECALLS are a joke and forget ever getting your CTM AND BCM ever replaced.
I'm FURIOUS.
I've contacted the manufacturer and the HIGHWAY SAFETY GOV site and filed a complaint.
I refuse to purchase a NEW vehicle just because a car manufacturer discontinued manufacturing a faulty
Module/modules that are ONLY 15 years ol. I miss the old days when you could work on your car and parts were around for over 50 years!
OK DODGE - DO YOU READ US LOUD AND CLEAR.......S.O.S...= help your brothers and sisters
MADE IN AMERICA ....we shall see!
Monique
Had some issue found them from Advance even tho they had to order, make sure if you order when it arrives as to matching part number. They vary due to factory installs of power equipment.

·
Administrator
5,646 Posts
One of the reasons I got rid of my 1993 Daytona was that I started having issues with the dashboard and parts weren't available. Then the bumper was damaged in a very minor accident and the body shop had was unable to get a replacement bumper. It was refurbished and looked good as new, but the lack of parts was starting to be an issue so I got rid of it in about 2007.

Makes me wonder how the lifetime warranty on my Charger is going to be affected by parts availability.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've wondered if failures like this of the BCM and PCM is why the JTEC and the NGC computers were introduced....

·
Super Moderator
21,620 Posts
No, the reliability of the modules has been about average with the industry, maybe better. The JTEC, NGC, GPEC, etc were brought out as advancements as software and function demands increased and bus speeds had to be faster.
Vehicles naturally have to evolve as safety, emissions, fuel economy and customer expectations (industry benchmarks) evolve. Electronics are the accepted way to achieve this.

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
On a thread that's 2 years old, I'm still wondering if the OP got that BCM and had it installed and if it fixed the problems. THAT is the question I have! LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts