Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how to go about this if I do decide. I do however know/believe that members here wouldn't want it or I should say want it bad but for what ever reason won't buy it. So, I'm not sure what is the next. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
314 Posts
From the pictures I've seen, that beauty belongs in a museum! No money to be had there though...

Otherwise, I (as well as most of us, I'm sure!) wish that I could dream of affording it...

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Sure hate to see you let it go. I think a lot of people here would like it, but might not be able to do justice to what it's worth.

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What it's worth and what I can get for it will be two different numbers. But at this point I'm looking more toward what I can get for it rather than what it's worth. At this point I'm just thinking abou it. I may be able to play more with it this spring/summer and who knows, I may not decide to sell it. However, if someone offers the right number I'd be a fool for not letting it go, to a great home that is.

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Bob, I understand the boat you're in. I'm there with my Daytona. I really don't want to sell it and I know I'm going to regret it, but ultimately, I think it is the right decision for me.

Given the time and effort that you've put into the car, I'd hate to see you sell it and quite honestly, I think it would be a mistake.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bob,

As a Daytona enthusiast I agree, I would regret it. I could not imagine putting all that time and effort and of course money into the car then selling it. Of course I would love the car but I could not even think of a price, and I would want to keep it in my living room but the wife wouldn't like that. LOL

Good luck in your decision.

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
If you *do* decide to sell it Bob, I'd try to do so at or after Carlisle. That way you'd have a much larger audience.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
At Carlisle would be expensive. They demand a commission if you advertise it onsite, something like 20%, I think. If you don't go through them to sell it, you can get kicked out - you can't put a For Sale sign on it without registering it with them.

You could, however, discuss the possibility of selling it to someone, outside of the show. :whistle: You just can't advertise it there on your own.

I really think you'd regret giving it up, though, after all that you put into it. As good as the blue one is, this one is a real showpiece. Once it's gone, it's gone.

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, the jury's still out regarding selling it but if I do you guys will be the first to know. And if I am able to come to Carlisle this year and if I decide to sell it it won't be 'officially' sold via Carlisle. It would be word of mouth only.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Hope to see you both there and meet Marla. Best of luck and all happiness tomorrow and always!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Wow 1st gen daytonas are a rarity almost like if you spot one you swear it was like a unicorn, used to see a lot of them in the 80's and early 90's but due to the fact they were cheap for what they were new and used and because young people bought them mostly to beat on and never took great care of them in the 1st place they meet their demise in the junkyard sooner than latter build quality also wasn't at it's best for these cars, my parents had an 85 N/A version and compared to cars they owned before it the Daytona made them miserable, but it was still one heck of a nice car to look at. I think price and location is a factor, I can tell you if the car is close and price is reasonable its easy to sell to the right person, but people have hard time traveling and making arrangements plus who can you trust to carry the car down to you what shipping company all this plays a role on sites like this one.

It is a beautiful car too pretty for a guy like me I want a monster that I can transform that one should be left as is. I want an 84-86 so I can take a latter shelby edition something that is not in good shape prefered that is all there and transfer all the shelby engine and drivetrain into the 1st gen and build the tar out of it and make it a killer car. That's my hope, but time, money plays a part and well, never ever seen a 1st gen in Illinois since 2001 and it was in a junkyard so never a shot at it.

Well cars are a passion and hobby for most almost like the next best thing to human companionship, because we build them and repair them and use them they become a part of us and help us to define and express who we are, and they help us with the image like yeah when im in that car that car makes me feel like it suits who I am it defines me. That's what makes a car a material posssession hard to let go of even if you are at the last option and I have been there with more than one car and always wished I had it back maybe not right away but at many points and times wished I never had to let it go.

Hang onto it if you can but if not just be glad you had the ability to have something like that when others have not, that's the way I look at it. Mopar collectors guide is a good magazine to advertise for something like this and I would aim toward enthusiasts or collectors or events that a car like this car go preserved, unfortunately though it can change hands many times and end up at any fate once you let it go, so like people there is no certain future that determines something will make it forever but chances are you will never know anyway. Some people just cant or wont preserve things like someone else, it's hard to tell. I personally know without a garage a good looking car like that wont stay that way for long. That's my major issue my house doesn't have a garage and well is why I wouldn't want something super nice because it would not stay that way for long. Even to store it costs money and is hard to do when your budget is already strained as it is. Life is like that sometimes. People may have disposable income now with taxes, so that may be hope for you, I hate craigslist but even enthusiasts look there for what they want so its hit or miss anywhere at least if you don't feel right you don't have to sell.

I agree though once it's gone it's gone very rarly do people find their old cars, and not everytime you do find it is it still as nice as it was when you sold it, I found one of my old ones in the junkyard after selling it 3 years prior I was mortified it could go down like that, further looking up concluded it changed hands 5 different times in 3 years before the 5th owner sent it to the wreckers so don't care what you sell it for, it's fate is not guaranteed unless you keep it for yourself. Not trying to scare you into not selling it, you got to do what you got to do, but after the sale anything can happen. Even classic muscle cars have been wrecked and when you see what some guy might shell out for a 69 Charger and see him wrap it around a pole trying to show it off it would make you want to puke and think why would somebody be so stupid. Or rich father buys for ungrateful and careless son delima that will do it too. Sometimes people just want a cool car and when you got money to burn who cares wreck it get something else can be the attitude. Shame though real shame....

·
Super Moderator
36,921 Posts
I think you need to push one of the Mopar magazines to cover the car. Have an interesting story and get one of the magazines to cover it at Carlisle and it's bound to help the value. May be a long shot, but worth a try.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I'm selling mine as well Bob, tried last year and trying again. Unfortunately there is no market for Daytonas it appears and I have come to the painful conclusion to cut my looses. Would love to keep her, but with parking issues and tiny garage something has to give. Good luck and hope to see you at Carlisle.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Bob ONeill said:
I'm not sure how to go about this if I do decide. I do however know/believe that members here wouldn't want it or I should say want it bad but for what ever reason won't buy it. So, I'm not sure what is the next. Any thoughts?
Have a lottery!!! Sell tickets, winning ticket gets the car!! :D

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Hmm....$10 x 1,000 participants...that could work. Or $25 x 400 participants. The price, the estimated number of participants and the product of the two have to be chosen correctly.

·
Administrator
35,245 Posts
If a car is a 1988 or earlier, in many states it can be registered as a classic, it's also eligible for clubs...that increases the number of potential buyers, e.g. I could ditch the Valiant... but that'll take me a long time to do, finding buyers for four-door slant six cars is not unlike finding buyers for Daytonas.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts