Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a trip to the Black Hills and getting 15-17 mpg on the Hwy in my Liberty its time to think about a more fuel efficient replacement. I stumbled upon a 2013 Journey Crew w/ 9k miles the other day and it looks like a good candidate as a replacement for my Liberty. I did notice that the 3.6 AWD only gets 16 mpg in town and was wondering how accurate this is, after all the Liberty is supposed to get 21 on the Hwy and 15 city.

I've also looked at the Avenger but with it going to be discontinued, I won't buy one no matter how good the incentives. The gaudy chrome mirror housings on the 200 Limited are a turn off to me so its out (about the only way to get the 3.6 is to buy a Limited in this area). LX cars are a possibility but finding a clean low mile one is nearly impossible around my area. With the delays on new products and the unknown future products I'm starting to look outside Chrysler for a replacement. I maybe buying a GM product for the first time in 20+ years or a Hyundai/Kia.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
Real-world City fuel consuption is highly variable... driving style, terrain, your city's approach to stop lights... and highway depends largely on the distance between the pedal and the carpet. :)

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
ralph.jones said:
After a trip to the Black Hills and getting 15-17 mpg on the Hwy in my Liberty its time to think about a more fuel efficient replacement. I stumbled upon a 2013 Journey Crew w/ 9k miles the other day and it looks like a good candidate as a replacement for my Liberty. I did notice that the 3.6 AWD only gets 16 mpg in town and was wondering how accurate this is, after all the Liberty is supposed to get 21 on the Hwy and 15 city.

I've also looked at the Avenger but with it going to be discontinued, I won't buy one no matter how good the incentives. The gaudy chrome mirror housings on the 200 Limited are a turn off to me so its out (about the only way to get the 3.6 is to buy a Limited in this area). LX cars are a possibility but finding a clean low mile one is nearly impossible around my area. With the delays on new products and the unknown future products I'm starting to look outside Chrysler for a replacement. I maybe buying a GM product for the first time in 20+ years or a Hyundai/Kia.
The Journey is a great little car, with some brake rotor issues, however the 2013's may have solved that.
My 3.6 powered 2013 JKU gets 19 combined, so on that Black Hills trip, likely a 21-22+ highway average. ( I achieved 23.6 on my first tank!)

We ran from LA to Minneapolis last year with a 3.6 equipped Caravan, we went through Omaha on the way there and to the Black Hills on the way back. The Caravan with 5 people and 17 days of luggage and shopping, averaged over 34 mpg for the entire 5700 mile trip.
So the 3.6, on the highway is an incredible engine.
A friend recently purchased a KIA, it lasted 400 miles before the transmission died.
Just saying, non Chrysler products are no panacea and Chrysler has come a LONG way since you bought that Liberty.

Reactions: dfarc

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
MoparNorm said:
The Journey is a great little car, with some brake rotor issues, however the 2013's may have solved that.
My 3.6 powered 2013 JKU gets 19 combined, so on that Black Hills trip, likely a 21-22+ highway average. ( I achieved 23.6 on my first tank!)

We ran from LA to Minneapolis last year with a 3.6 equipped Caravan, we went through Omaha on the way there and to the Black Hills on the way back. The Caravan with 5 people and 17 days of luggage and shopping, averaged over 34 mpg for the entire 5700 mile trip.
So the 3.6, on the highway is an incredible engine.
A friend recently purchased a KIA, it lasted 400 miles before the transmission died.
Just saying, non Chrysler products are no panacea and Chrysler has come a LONG way since you bought that Liberty.
The 3.6 isn't bad around the city. Our town is all unsynchronized traffic lights, and our '11 Caravan gets ~12l/100km or ~19MPG(US)

Highway is where is shines though for sure.

My aunt bought a new Sonota last year, and in less than 12,000km the engine was toast leaving her stranded, they fought and got another Sonota. And a friend of mine had an Elantra cook itself to death, leaving him stranded while away on business.

The grass isn't always green is all I'm saying too.

For all the problems my Caliber has given me, it has NEVER left me stranded in 6.5 years.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On cruise control at 80 mph. I did notice that the cruise would allow the mph to bleed off 5-8 mph on hills then kick down into 3 to get back up to the set speed, sometime multiple times before the grade was crested. This was a very annoying up down up down drive. On the way back home I resorted to an old trick where you give it some gas at the bottom of the hill helping the speed to stay at the set speed. This actually bumped up my mileage to 17 mpg.

My oldest is a Hyundai tech and says the 2.0 turbo likes to fail prematurely. He has sent me some pictures of a couple and I was pretty impressed with the amount of destruction.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
The current Hyundai models are well passed what I experienced.

I owned a 1995 3.0L V6 Sonata. Had it for way too long. It [email protected] on me. Three sets of motor mounts and an engine rebuild later I dumped it.

Yes, I'm aware of the differences since Finbar O'Neil was the head of Hyundai and how things are now. After Hyundai, of course, Finn was at the helm of Mitsubishi ( during the cumbersome years of sexual harassment and other below-the-belt claims ... evidently justified ).

But they ( Hyundai ) wouldn't do squat for us while the car was under warranty. I believe they did quite a lot since those days. They pumped-up customer perception. You hear about JD Power ratings and so forth; but the first 90 days of ownership is no big whoop. Our first 90 days was stunningly good.

The first year? Well, the sad saga begins there.

I have contempt for the brand. I'm 100% biased in the wrong direction - it is for a material cause, though. Please don't listen to me. But please don't disregard what I've said - I spoke the truth and held back quite a bit for balance.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Dad's Kia just rolled 20K, and has had two transmissions.

His 190K mile Dakota-nothing but fairly early brake pads
his 210K Caravan-Nothing til a tornado destroyed it
My 280K T&C nothing major at all till I traded it in on the 2012 Journey. 26K miles now with ZERO problems at all. Yess I have the upgraded brakes. Made after May 2012 has the good ones. :)

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,387 Posts
My '11 R/T city mileage is pathetic (and we are not heavy foot drivers). Routinely around 16.0L/100km (about 15 US mpg). On the highway however, it's excellent.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Powdered Toast Man said:
My '11 R/T city mileage is pathetic (and we are not heavy foot drivers). Routinely around 16.0L/100km (about 15 US mpg). On the highway however, it's excellent.
That's worse than our van, we get about 12-13l/100km

1 - 9 of 9 Posts