Allpar Forums banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
15,582 Posts
Challenger with some leftover Viper V10 engines?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Nobody wants a convertible Challenger. The design team didn't want it either. However, they did want a hardtop so the rear quarter windows would roll down, but were denied by engineering due to cost.
Funny you bring that up!
One of my very first posts on this site was about why Chrysler, the inventor of the pillar-less hardtop, couldn't engineer that feature into the (then) New Challenger, especially since Mercedes already had the engineering for the SL Coupe. I didn't put it quite so politely, I believe I called the engineers 'Monkeys', and Bob Sheaves, quite correctly, jumped all over me for it! I had no idea the He was an engineer at that time!
I slunked into a corner for a while before I ventured out again, LOL!
But I still contend that had they done the necessary engineering that car would have sold like the original 64.5 Mustang. Instead they made it look like a coffin inside, like all the other claustrophobic coupes, which is why they (coupes) don't sell anymore, and why MB STILL produces a pillar-less Hardtop Coupe to this day, a design 'borrowed' from Chrysler.
P.S I still want a Challenger convertible, just like my 1970!

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Funny you bring that up!
One of my very first posts on this site was about why Chrysler, the inventor of the pillar-less hardtop, couldn't engineer that feature into the (then) New Challenger, ...
Money ... Daimler didn't allow them very much of it!

·
Registered
15,582 Posts
Money ... Daimler didn't allow them very much of it!
Yet their lineup was fresher and more filled out than today.

Reactions: valiant67

·
Administrator
39,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
With very little money and without the blessings of the fatherland, they created the ME412.
And were not allowed to actually sell them... besides, that wasn't a mass production vehicle. Takes a lot more capital to do mass production.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
7,129 Posts
And were not allowed to actually sell them... besides, that wasn't a mass production vehicle. Takes a lot more capital to do mass production.
ME412 would have never been a volume vehicle. It did show that they could be very creative and it also showed that the "equal" partners had no interest in allowing the American branch to truly prosper.

·
Administrator
39,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
ME412 would have never been a volume vehicle. It did show that they could be very creative and it also showed that the "equal" partners had no interest in allowing the American branch to truly prosper.
Yes, but what I mean to say is that it would have required almost no startup capital compared to a car like the Challenger - and they watch every penny on projects like that. (One penny times 42,000 cars per year times seven years or whatever... okay, that's only $3,000.)

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
7,129 Posts
Yes, but what I mean to say is that it would have required almost no startup capital compared to a car like the Challenger - and they watch every penny on projects like that. (One penny times 42,000 cars per year times seven years or whatever... okay, that's only $3,000.)
I agree, in the 60's Chrysler used ANCO as the windshield wiper supplier and instead of having a button to replace the rubber blade portion at each end as per the ANCO standard, there was only a button at one end. Saved about one cent per car. Big money over a year. With all the government added safety and reporting requirements added since then, it is now an obscene cost to produce a new generation vehicle and only slightly less amount to do a refresh of a current vehicle.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It will be
(1) new twin turbocharged slant six, code named "localized high pressure area"
You don't get tornadic activity with high pressures, localized or otherwise. In fact, tornadoes come with massive decreases in pressure. In fact, that's one typical way they drop houses. The interior depressurizes, collapsing the walls, and dropping the roof, sort of.

"A tornado is not necessarily visible; however, the intense low pressure caused by the high wind speeds (as described by Bernoulli's principle) and rapid rotation (due to cyclostrophic balance) usually cause water vapor in the air to condense into cloud droplets due to adiabatic cooling. This results in the formation of a visible funnel cloud or condensation funnel." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado

"How close to a tornado does the barometer drop? And how far does it drop? It varies. A barometer can start dropping many hours or even days in advance of a tornado if there is low pressure on a broad scale moving into the area. Strong pressure falls will often happen as the mesocyclone (parent circulation in the thunderstorm) moves overhead or nearby. The biggest drop will be in the tornado itself, of course. It is very hard to measure pressure in tornadoes since most weather instruments can't survive. A few low-lying, armored probes called "turtles" have been placed successfully in tornadoes. This includes one deployment on 15 May 2003 by the late Tim Samaras, who recorded pressure fall of over 40 millibars through an unusually large tornado. On 24 June 2003, another of Tim's probes recorded a 100 millibar pressure plunge in a violent tornado near Manchester, SD (National Geographic report). On 21 April 2007, a private storm-chase vehicle--outfitted with fully functional, scientific-grade instruments--measured the current record pressure drop of 194 millibars in Tulia, TX. Despite those spectacular results, and a few fortuitous passes over barometers through history, we still do not have a large database of tornado pressures to say much about averages or other barometric characteristics. That has to be left to the world of computer simulations, using known physical characteristics of intense vortices of air." - The Online Tornado FAQ (by Roger Edwards, SPC)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Funny you bring that up!
One of my very first posts on this site was about why Chrysler, the inventor of the pillar-less hardtop, couldn't engineer that feature into the (then) New Challenger, especially since Mercedes already had the engineering for the SL Coupe. I didn't put it quite so politely, I believe I called the engineers 'Monkeys', and Bob Sheaves, quite correctly, jumped all over me for it! I had no idea the He was an engineer at that time!
I slunked into a corner for a while before I ventured out again, LOL!
But I still contend that had they done the necessary engineering that car would have sold like the original 64.5 Mustang. Instead they made it look like a coffin inside, like all the other claustrophobic coupes, which is why they (coupes) don't sell anymore, and why MB STILL produces a pillar-less Hardtop Coupe to this day, a design 'borrowed' from Chrysler.
P.S I still want a Challenger convertible, just like my 1970!
What was the answer that Bob gave you?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
15,582 Posts
101 - 120 of 128 Posts