Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the throttle position sensor on my 84 Le Baron turbo.

My question is that the new one was different from the old one in that it's see-through. The old one had a cover on the outside part of the sensor, and the new one is like a donut in that you can see through the little circle that fits over the metal bar.

I installed it anyway and the car seems to drive the same, but since there's an O-ring between the sensor and throttle body it would seem that we're trying to keep a tight seal for air. But there's no back to the new one, so that seems counterintuitive.

All the ones for sale on Rock Auto and Autozone are the donut-see-through kind, as opposed to the one I took off with the outside covered in plastic.

Does it matter? If not, what I am missing?

I changed it because of a code that wouldn't go away even though connections checked out. The code went away and the car doesn't seem to be driving any different, so am I worrying for nothing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think the styles probably changed. If there are no longer any codes and the engine responds fine, I wouldn't worry. These things are simple, they are no different than the volume control "pots" on your older tv's and radios.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I don't think that ring is for a seal for air. Most/all of the sensors on the throttle body have those, I think they're more for dust sealing than anything else.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
My last two cars did not have an O-ring there from the factory. I added them from the throttle body rebuild kit. I agree, I think they are for dust and gasoline fume sealing.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
May have been a running change, then. My car was built within a month of Spirit (and, therefore, 2.5/A413) production halt. AFAIK, the throttle body was never touched before I re-gasketed it, and I had O-rings on the TPS. Any replacement parts made after whenever this change took place would have been to whatever specs the updated parts were made to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts