Allpar Forums banner

Tightening AC belt?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  B10alia 
#1 ·
The AC belt on my 94 Spirit has gotten quite loose and I was looking for a way to tighten it back up again. I looked in my Haynes manual and it doesn't really mention how to adjust the tension for the AC belt. Is there a way to do it? My AC isn't working so I could just get away with cutting the belt, but I don't like doing things that way.

#2 ·
As I recall there is a square notch on the bracket where you can insert a ratchet and simply hold the tension while tightening the bolt. It's easier if you have a helper hold the tension while you tighten the bolt. It usually took me a few tries before I got it just right.

#3 ·
Why isn't your AC working? If the compressor's already locked up, then tightening the belt will just make the belt burn off.

#7 ·
The A/C tensioner has two hold-down bolts on my '95 Spirit, meaning you have to back the pivot bolt and both hold-down bolts off before you can move the tensioner. There's a 1/2" hole for a breaker bar or similar; I would go with that over a ratchet, simply because there's more room to tighten those bolts back up while the hand (or hands, if you have a helper, which is ideal) is out of the way of the wrench/ratchet. 15mm on these, IIRC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.