Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I've restored the Turbo Z. Check out the pictures in my gallery album (click on the signature link below). Even as good as that paint looks in the pictures it has not been wet sanded and buffed. So I am planning to do that over the next few weeks/months.

Here's what I am planning. Let me know if there are some other thoughts on how I can improve the finished 'finish'.

I plan to find all the imperfections and carefully wet sand those to remove the imperfections. Then I plan to wet sand the entire surface to remove the slightest hint of orange peel. I'll use 1000 grit for the ugly spots and 1500 on the rest. Then I'll begin the buffing and polishing. I have some 3M buffing and polishing compound which will bring the initial finish up to a shine again. It's the stuff I used on the Blue Daytona (pictures also in the gallery, click on the link in the sig).

But once I get it that far should I simply leave it and wait for the wax or is there a process which will not only seal the paint but also bring up an even more impressive 'finish'. I would love to take my 'red headed step child' of a 'show car' to some of the local events and have folks turn their heads. They do that now somewhat because of what it is but how cool would it be for the finish to simply slap them up side the head when they look at it.

D
0 Posts
The car is looking AMAZING Bob... I love how the wheels came out.

As for your next endeavor into the paint I'd suggest going with the complete Adams treatment to get the gloss up to "show" standards and also add a great level of protection to keep that paint looking flawless.

Depending on where your finish is at after the initial sanding and buffing you may want to do a quick pass with Swirl and Haze remover to get any lingering buffer trails or sanding marks out. That with the orange foam pad will kill most anything as far as imperfections. Next I'd do at least 2 passes with the Fine Machine Polish on the white pad. I say 2 as I've recently been playing more with FMP to bring more gloss out of painted surfaces. The first pass serves to further correct the surface, get any minor marring or residual marks left by the more aggressive passes. The second pass is more of a "beauty" pass. I start with the PC set at 4000opm and a small amount of FMP work it as usual with a little bit of pressure, as the polish begins break down I gradually increase the speed and back off the pressure until the polish is almost not visible. Once you remove the residue you'll be left with a really high gloss finish. I've found this really beneficial on blacks and dark metallics so far.

Moving on to the protection you can go any number of ways, but personally I think its hard to beat the finish you get from the Americana Paste wax, its just got such a rich deep look to it on dark colors that I just can't see going with anything else.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
How long should you let it cure before you start wet sanding?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts